“Typical Holiday Inn Hotel but Poor Location” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)

You added Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1133 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90813   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Brampton, Canada
“Typical Holiday Inn Hotel but Poor Location”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 4, 2013

My company booked me in this Holiday Inn Property since I am a Priority Card holder. But if I had to choose I wont go to this property since it is in a rather seedy district in Los Angeles. I forgot to bring a toothbrush so I asked the hotel if they had any and they had none not even a store where they sell toiletries. So I went out and looked at a nearby store and they also didnt carry any toothbrushes.Theres nowhere around the hotel that you would like to walk around in. Its located in a rather "unsafe" area at least thats how I feel and see it.

The hotel is OK but the location isn't something I would go to.

Room Tip: When you look outside the windows you see houses in the neighborhood so dont bother choosing any ro...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for taking time to share your experience. We do in fact have toothbrushes at the front desk so I apologize that anyone informed you otherwise. We are located in an urban area of Long Beach and not everyone is comfortable with the city environment but I assure you it is as "safe" as any large city at night. As Priority Club member I know that you must travel frequently so the fact we did not meet your expectations is a concern for me and my team. I do apologize again for any mis communications that made it necessary for you to look for a toothbrush elsewhere. We are renovating all of our common areas this month so in addition to the complimentary "forgotten" items such as toothbrushes we will have a marketplace with items you can purchase. Thank you again for your feedback it is the best way for us to enhance our service.

Sharon B.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Thai first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

I found this hotel online .....everyone was so nice. The staff was very accomodating and welcoming. I especially want to mention Adrián , Luis ,Iván and David. All these guys went the extra mile..Thanks guys..keep up the good work..!!

• Stayed March 2013
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, April 4, 2013
Great to hear you found us online it is the way to book a great hotel experience. I am especially grateful for your appreciation of our staff. These gentlemen are the cream of the "hospitality and guest services" crop and I am grateful you acknowledged their contribution to your hotel experience. I will pass it on to each of them.

S. Bateman
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2013 via mobile

We stayed here the Saturday before Easter and were supposed to stay one night, but ended up having to stay another night. The staff here is personable/friendly. They make you feel comfortable and welcome. They also have free shuttle service until 11pm every night within a 3 mile radius. I would definitely recommend this place!

Thank you Ivan, David, and Luis for helping us with a quick check-in and check-out, for recommending good food in the area, and for dropping us off and picking us back up from lunch! You 3 are made the experience that much better!

• Stayed March 2013
Our pleasure, which is why we are in the hospitlaity and guest services business. Thank you for taking the time to share your comments with the travel community. Our staff loves what they do and it is great to hear how much you appreciate it. Our complimentary shuttle is a great value and our most appreciated amenity. Your recommendation is the most valuable gift we can get so thank you again and we hope you will be back to see us in the future.

S. Bateman
Antwerp, Belgium
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2013

This hotel is basically OK . My wife and I stayed here 4 nights

On the positive side:
The rooms are clean and spacious
The free WiFi works well and there was enough free parking when we were there
We booked the breakfast vouchers and the breakfast was Ok

Less positive was :
Some of the street noise (and pool noise)

The problem is the location:
The hotel is located quite far away from downtown - so you may want to use the free shuttle because the 45minute walk is not that exciting . Also there is no restaurant nearby ( the inhouse restaurant is OK for breakfast and maybe for dinner on a business trip - but not so appealing for couples travelling together) .
The trip to downtown takes around 10-15 minutes. During our stay , the hotel was quite busy for a conference and there were many overseas visitors withour cars. You can do the maths yourself ... 50 + guest using the shuttle at night , the time of the average trip - and with some bad luck you have a long wait (the people driving the shuttle work quite hard - there are just not enough of them) . My wife once had a 1 hour wait , and also other people ended up with 50 minutes
Cabs are the alternative - make sure you get their contact details in case

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time to share your experience with the travel community. We are proud you recognize the positive side"The rooms are clean and spacious,The free WiFi works well and there was enough free parking when we were there". It is always disappointing if we don't exceed your expectations so "the breakfast was Ok" is not OK with us. We strive for "great" and delicious, so I apoligize we fell short of this goal. Then there is the street noise and the location. We are just 11 blocks from Ocean Blvd so I am surprised you experiened a 45 minute walk but our complimentary shuttle can be "downtown" in just a few minutes. We do plan for peak times but I see your point and I apologize for the long wait times, with 2 vans it can be a challenge. So thank you for the feedback we will address this to see how we can be of better service to our guests in the future.

S Bateman
Atlanta
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

On is trip we did not research like we should have, and the HI website is a little deceptive. This hotel is not near the main downtown area, and there are many other hotels that are near the attractions. The hotel staff is less than excited, and the tavern downstairs is undermanned. Most exciting part of our hotel stay...witnessing an arrest across the street. Hmmm.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
serendipityhost, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, March 26, 2013
I am so disappointed you felt any deception about our location, and will review the site to insure that everything is accurate. We are downtown in an urban area within blocks of the Pine Street historical district, convention center, aquarium etc. but we are not at the waterfront. Most importantly our staffing being less than excited is a major concern. My staff and I love our guests and hotel but we are capable of an off day so I apologize for not being at our best. We appreciate law enforcements presence when needed but regret you were disturbed. I hope you will have the opportunity to revisit us and enjoy the free shuttle to the area attractions.

Sharon Bateman
Surrey, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here for 6 days in April 2012. I chose the Holiday Inn because I've never been unhappy with any of my stays - always clean, consistent, and in collect points with them for free nights.

Also chose this location because it was somewhat central to where we were going. Tourists doing Anaheim/Disney, LA area and the like. This hotel is in the Downtown area of Long Beach, and about a 5 min drive down to the beach. The price was right, better than prices closer to or in LA itself.

The staff were so friendly and helpful, our room was clean, never had any problems at all. I would stay here again, and recommend it!

• Stayed April 2012
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, March 11, 2013
Thank you for taking time to let us know about your stay with us. We are proud of our property and the opportunity to provide our guests with a clean, friendly, consistent, guest experience. If you are doing the LA tourist scene we are central to the "best" of the area and of course value is always our goal.

Thank you again and we look forward to offering you and other traverlers to LA the same "great guest experience".

Sharon
Portland, Maine
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 19, 2013

This hotel was nice, clean, adequate --- but a bit "tired."
I could tell that it was an older model Holiday Inn for 3 reasons:
1. The A/C - heating system was old.
2. The sink (with small countertop) was outside the bathroom.
3. The desk had a green glass overlay on the top. This was a trademark of Holiday Inns back in the day. It looks very pretty, but the newer model hotels do not have this green glass because your laptop mouse doesn't work. (Silly but very substantial thing for a business traveler.)
I noticed that the hallways in this hotel were "grimy" but the walls in my room were not.
The furniture and decor in my room (#446) were very nicely appointed.
The staff were pleasant.
There was a restaruant off the lobby that appeared to be nice and very busy.
I also noticed a nice exercise room off the lobby which I didn't not have time to try. The machines looked new.
I would definitely stay again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Thank you so such for the wealth of information you provided. Especially the green glass, it is just over a year since we renovated all the guest rooms so the glass is new for us but no one has ever brought the mouse issue to our attention, in the future we will definetly make sure we have mouse pads availabile for any guest who has this same issue. "This hotel was nice, clean, adequate --- but a bit "tired." We are working on the tired portion. We have ordered new carpet for the hallways and the design team is working to match the decor with the new carpet. In fact this year we are redoing all the public spaces including the lobby and restaurant. Again thank you so much for all the feedback; we truly want to provide our guests with a hotel they love. The staff and I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and look forward to seeing you again soon.
Warm Regards,
Sharon Bateman
General manager

Been to Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)? Share your experiences!