“Not worth the free parking!” 2 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1133 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90813   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 58 hotels in Long Beach
“Not worth the free parking!”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2013 via mobile

We booked 2 rooms at this hotel due to the "stay and cruise" package. I loved the idea of parking and having a shuttle to and from the port. However, I wish I would have stayed somewhere else and just paid for parking.
The day of our arrival I called to confirm we had 2 rooms that joined. I was told it was confirmed, but 1 hour later when we arrived we were told it wasn't possible. After much arguing and waiting with 4 kids in the lobby for over 30 minutes, we got the rooms. We went in and one room hadn't been cleaned! We waited some more. Late that night the tolliet flooded! It was noisey all night. The shuttle to the cruise port is actually 2 vans, each carrying 6-9 people. We waited over an hour to get a ride. In hindsight, my husband should have dropped us off, came back to park and took a taxi back down to the port.
Honestly, it was one of the worst experiences we have had! I should have read through the reviews better. I just felt I should share, and save others the same experience.

• Stayed January 2013
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, February 12, 2013
I apologize. Obviously we dropped the ball on more than one issue. This is not the experience we want any of guests to have when they stay with us. I would be happy to make amends if you contact me direct. Unfortunately, our computer system and server were down for almost 24 hours during your stay, we take full responsibility for not being better prepared when our computer system went down. Thank you so much for taking time to give us your feedback. We value all our guests’ communications.

218 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Thai first
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2013

I should have looked for a new Hotel as soon as the person at the front desk commented about the Band (marched in the Rose Bowl Parade) from the Far East that was staying at the Hotel and how crazy it had been. It was like I was staying in the middle of a Soriety Party.......doors slammin, people running up and down the halls and the staff had no clue how to handle the situation.....I complained and begged that they send somebody up to the 3rd floor just to slow the people down running in the hall......but it was to no avail...... and for the inconveniece of my 3 hrs sleep was free breakfast..........Holiday Inn $150....Free Breakfast (cogs)......$1.50........ If you are looking for a place to stay, my advice is stay away from here the Management hasn't put the employees in a position that they know how, or are willing to take care of their guest.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, January 24, 2013
I am sorry we did not compensate you appropriately; my entire staff is empowered to offer the appropriate compensation for any inconvenience or missteps on our part. Groups are sometimes problematic especially youth groups. We have taken additional steps for the future to ensure our guests do not suffer the same experience. So please accept our sincere apology and know we take responsibility for not providing you the best possible Holiday Inn experience. I have contacted you direct and hope to hear from you soon so we make amends for your experience.

Bracknell, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 1, 2013

A big plus about this hotel is the free parking. It seems like most hotels in the LA/Orange County area charge for parking, but here, it's included. The room was decent and I got one with a microwave, and a fridge. Free internet is included and it worked pretty well. The staff were super friendly. I had a problem with the flat screen TV, as it froze and none of the controls worked. When I informed the front desk, they sent someone up fairly quickly. He sorted it out by unplugging the TV and plugging it back in again. This hard boot seemed to unfreeze it. It happened 2 more times during my 3 day stay, but I was able to fix it myself the second and third times. I ate 2 breakfasts and one dinner at the hotel restaurant. The food was okay and resonably priced. The waitresses were very pleasent and friendly. The hotel is easy to get to. From the I 405 Freeway, get off at Atlantic Avenue and head south. It's a little way south of the Pacific Coast Highway (PCH). I see other reviewers commenting on the bad neighborhood. I agree, but if you're driving, it's not a problem. There were some dodgy looking characters hanging around in front of the hotel a couple of nights, but I just drove into the underground car park and took the elevator to my floor. No need to come into contact with these characters, unless you want to. My room was clean and, overall, I was satisfied.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, January 7, 2013
I do apologize for the TV we are in the process of upgrading our system which will take care of these types of issues. So thank you for your patience. Thank you for acknowleding the contribution of our staff in both the restaurant and the hotel. I am happy your were satisfied and hope we can be of service to you again.

Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I recently stayed here for a weekend in the Long Beach area and my stay was filled with both pros and cons.
PROS: Hotel is very clean, rooms are recently renovated and modern, ac works very well, furnishings are nice, and the shower is great, and there is free internet and parking.
CONS: Staff is slow and not overly friendly, and the hotel is not in the best part of Long Beach. Also, housekeeping knocked on our door at 8 45 and 9 30 am, when we had arranged for late check out. (Normal check out is not until 11).
When I spoke to management about this complaint, the hotel general manager herself contacted me and addressed this concern. She was very friendly and professional and compensated for their errors.
So to sum it all up, the stay was pleasant, except for a few small details BUT management did an excellent job at correcting these details and following up with me. So I would stay here again in the future in hopes of them doing a bit of a better job.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, December 14, 2012
Thank you for giving me an opportunity to address your concerns. As I indicated in our conversation, our guest’s feedback is priceless. I have addressed your concerns with our staff and I am confident the staff understands the importance of communicating our guest’s requests to every department. I look forward to having you as our guest in the future and making your next stay with us a great experience.

Salt Lake City, Utah, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Nice friendly staff were very cordial and easy to work with. Let me check in 2 hours early into a nice clean room. Underground parking was a big plus as well for security. Not a single problem and the pool view was nice. Internet was fast and reliable as well . Nice to have a microwave and mini fridge in the room with a good size bath room.

Room Tip: Double Rooms are very comfortable and well decorated.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, December 7, 2012
It is so great to know we are hitting the mark for our guests. I know you have alot of hotels to choose from so thank you for choosing to stay with the Holiday Inn Downtown Long Beach. I truly appreciate you taking the time to give us your feedback. I will pass your praise onto the staff.

Warm Regards,
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

The hotel is located in a pretty bad neighborhood and has seen better days.

The cleaning staff forgot to give us new towels -- in it self not a big mistake. Called front desk they said they would bring new once --- Called them 25 minuts later to hear how the towels were coming along... they said they would be right up, 20 minuts later I went to the front desk and waited for my towels... Somehow they made a small mistake into a big deal.. and I got to bed one hour later than planed..

Not a place I will visit again -- also I suspect we got attacked by bed-bucks :-(

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, November 16, 2012
Oh my if you suspect bed bucks then I would greatly appreciate it if you could contact me direct. We do not ever want to have that experience. We have done an inspection with our housekeeping staff but becasue we are not sure what room you occupied your assistance would be appreciated. As for the towels, I do apologize we had a dryer go out and it did put us behind so I am so sorry that was not better communicated. We dropped the ball on that. We are located in an urban downtown area but my staff work and live here safely. Thank you for taking time to share your experience we take our guest’s comments to heart and hope you will give us another opportunity to wow you with our warmth.

Uxbridge, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Dear Holiday Inn Downtown Log Beach,

I would like to Thank you for the great week I spend at you hotel. From the second I got there, Justin went out of his way to welcome me, made me feel like it was at home and to make sure that every thing was just right. From the booking of the hotel over the phone to the day I left left me welcome feeling. He always called me by name and with the hotel book fully that was something. The other staff such as Adrian, Temo, Richard and Wendy also went way above to make my stay awesome. The Hotel was every clean inside and out, the bed was just right and the room was clean, with a fridge and microwave saved me on food cost. The outside pool was great, was able to get in some tanning and see the stars at night. I found the hotel quiet and easy to sleep. I was there on business at a convention near the end of October with over 10,000 people. I also noted that the staff at the front desk was talking to other people by their names as well.
The free 3 mile transportation provided by the hotel was great to use. They would take us to downtown where all the restaurant and action was or all the way down to the beach. This saved me on taxi cab fare.

The found Long Beach, for the areas that I was in, to be clean and a every friendly city, so thanks to the city also.
Thanks again John

Room Tip: Pool side of hotel guieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Wow thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Long Beach during your recent convention. As the manager I am extremely pleased that you mentioned the great job the staff did making you feel welcomed. Your feedback is such a great way to tell others about your welcoming experience. It is rewarding to know that each of our amenities was utilized and valued. The complimentary shuttle service is truly great value for anyone traveling to the area. I hope you will take the time to visit us again.

Sharon Bateman

Been to Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)? Share your experiences!