“Friendly with well managed staff.” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)

You added Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1133 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90813   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Uxbridge, Canada
“Friendly with well managed staff.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Dear Holiday Inn Downtown Log Beach,

I would like to Thank you for the great week I spend at you hotel. From the second I got there, Justin went out of his way to welcome me, made me feel like it was at home and to make sure that every thing was just right. From the booking of the hotel over the phone to the day I left left me welcome feeling. He always called me by name and with the hotel book fully that was something. The other staff such as Adrian, Temo, Richard and Wendy also went way above to make my stay awesome. The Hotel was every clean inside and out, the bed was just right and the room was clean, with a fridge and microwave saved me on food cost. The outside pool was great, was able to get in some tanning and see the stars at night. I found the hotel quiet and easy to sleep. I was there on business at a convention near the end of October with over 10,000 people. I also noted that the staff at the front desk was talking to other people by their names as well.
The free 3 mile transportation provided by the hotel was great to use. They would take us to downtown where all the restaurant and action was or all the way down to the beach. This saved me on taxi cab fare.

The found Long Beach, for the areas that I was in, to be clean and a every friendly city, so thanks to the city also.
Thanks again John

Room Tip: Pool side of hotel guieter
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, November 8, 2012
Wow thank you so much for choosing to stay at the Holiday Inn Downtown Long Beach during your recent convention. As the manager I am extremely pleased that you mentioned the great job the staff did making you feel welcomed. Your feedback is such a great way to tell others about your welcoming experience. It is rewarding to know that each of our amenities was utilized and valued. The complimentary shuttle service is truly great value for anyone traveling to the area. I hope you will take the time to visit us again.

Sharon Bateman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Thai first
midwest
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The hotel was probably quite the place in it's day. While it's day has passed, the hotel has been kept up quite well.
There is what looks like a fountain in the portico. It is not a fountain anymore, but a desert garden in its early stages of growth. One way to save water.

Hotel lobbies in smaller European hotels are very functional- a desk or counter and that's about all. You don't hang around these lobbies. You check in, check out, and go to your room. Lobbies in most American hotels are designed to be spaces that welcome you, where you want to have a drink and hang out and if nothing else people watch. The lobby of the Holiday Inn was somewhere in between. Not inviting. But a bit more than the European lobbies.

The hotel will give you a ride to nearby attractions, restaurants, etc. And you can call them to pick you up. It is quite a walk to the harbor area.

All of the staff were very friendly, said hello, etc.

One guest review called the neighborhood scarey. I was definitely a minority in the neighborhood. But I never felt scared. And I walked to and from the hotel to the harbor area a number of times, during the day and in the evening.

The room was OK. Nothing spectacular, but no significant flaws either.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, November 7, 2012
It was such a pleasure to read your comments about your experience at our Holiday Inn. It is true we are ready for some changes. We have just completed the plans to redo the lobby, restaurant and exterior of the hotel. I hope you will have an opportunity to come and see it next spring.
Thank you for mentioning our complementary shuttle service. If you want to go within a 3 miles radius we can get you there. The friendly staff loves what they do and great guests make it easy. As for our location I am pleased that you agree,t we are in an urban but not scary neighborhood. I and my staff work here every day and walk the area without fear I am happy you did also.

Palo Alto CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Yes indeed a strange neighborhood; the hotel is located next to a large hospital and surrounded by an immigrant neighborhood (Cambodia town). Not a lot of restaurants nearby ( a so-so Korean restaurant and a burger joint are 5 blocks down the road towards the harbor).
I did not felt too comfortable when I checked in, but the room was actually fine for the price; the bedding is good , lots of pillows labeled firm or soft and the free internet was working ok; there is a coffee maker, a microwave and an fridge in the room (there is a nearby supermarket if you need to buy food or beverages). Breakfast was ok.
The staff is indeed friendly and helpful in particular the drivers of the courtesy shuttle that can bring you to the conference center or any place within 3 miles radius and pick you up again when you call. Alternatively, you can also get to the harbor and conference area or back to the hotel by taking the free shuttle bus running on Pine street ( a 10 min. walk away) or the regular city bus # 61 ( $ 1.25 fare) that stops in front of the hotel.
My complaint is the noise coming from the water pipes; I heard water flushes underneath my room every 10 minutes or so. Also the AC is outdated and noisy; can't sleep while running.
In summary, the hotel is ok for a 3-4 day conference stay (the upside is you pay muss less than in the ritzy glitzy hotels 10 blocks down the road near the convention center) and the shuttle provides convenient transportation.

Room Tip: stay away from the kitchen vents on 2nd floor and of the ice machine near the elevator of course
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Please accept my apology for any discomfort you experienced because of the noise. We are replacing all of the AC units as needed so I appreciate you letting me know this one needs to go. I am so happy you found our staff were “indeed” friendly and our accommodations to your liking. We do have great pillows and all the amenities you would want in a hotel room. The courtesy shuttle makes our guests life so much easier especially if they are at the convention center, no parking issues either.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is invaluable in achieving our goal to provide all of guests a great hotel experience.. I encourage all guests to let us know, while they are on property, any concerns they have noise, etc. so we can make amends immediately.

Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Long Beach-had a hard time finding the hotel because it is smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Not a nice neighborhood, would not walk around here at night, but the hotel was convenient to where I needed to be.it is relatively close to the 405 fwy, and also to downtown Long Beach, but if you have a choice, stay at one of the hotels near the water on ocean blvd where the scenery is much nicer.
However, the staff were friendly, and the hotel is easy access with the elevators straight from the parking area. The room is nice for the newly upraded Holiday Inn brand, not bad for the price. I like the new color pallette for the brand, decent coffee and toiletries. The view is not the best-you could see dilapidated homes and the backyards of homes with dogs and rusty roofs.
If you want clean and efficient, this will be fine, but look for a nicer hotel in a walkable neighborhod if you have a choice!

Room Tip: Bring a bullet proof jacket! Scary neighborhood. LOL
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking time to give us feedback. It is great to know we met the mark and provided friendly service and a great guest room.. I am sorry if you felt uncomfortable about the neighborhood. It is true we are in a downtown urban area and that includes a hospital on one side and apartments in the back. Downtown areas are unique. But I assure you we are safe and secure.We offer our guests a courtesy shuttle available 6 am – 11 pm so it is not necessary to walk anywhere within a 3 mile radius. I appreciate you mentioning how convenient we are to the waterfront and the convention center. Being just 10 blocks from the ocean makes it possible to offer our guests a great value and still be within minutes of all the attractions of Long Beach. .Thank you again, we always appreciate hearing from our guests .

Oswestry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 6 nights from 15th September with 2 colleagues on business. Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly, helpful and obviously well trained. Rooms were clean and comfortable and more than adequate for our purpose...a room safe would have been welcome. Good breakfast service, we also had dinner a few times and this was also good. We had Priority Club offers which gave daily discounts for food and drink which made everything good value. Shuttle bus was excellent for our needs taking us and bags to and from the convention centre...and oh so friendly again.

I use Intercontinental Hotels worldwide and I have to say that this was ne of the most friendly and helpful that I have exoerienced over many years..well done and thanks to all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, September 29, 2012
How kind of you to let us know about your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed the rooms and that the "courtesy" shuttle to the convention center was excellent. This is one of our favorite amenities. Thank you for mentioning the restaurant we do get great reviews on our food and staff and people are surprised at the quality because we are not just a "hotel" restaurant. Most importantly as you mentioned it is the friendly and trained staff that make all of this possible. I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope we will have the opportunity be of service to you again.
Warm regards,
Redlands,CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Older hotel, but has been remodeled and rooms are nice. Hallways still old looking and carpet smelly.
Has shuttle service which is nice and closed parking.
Not the best neighborhood and would not want to go out alone. Inconvenient location.
Staff was very nice and accommodating.
AC very noisy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. I apologize if the the AC was noisy, I will have maintenance look into that right away. I am very glad you enjoyed the remodeled rooms and our courtesy shuttle service is a great asset and value for our guests. It is our primary goal to give our guests a great hotel experience and the staff is the key so it is nice to know we met the mark on that one. We are located in an urban area and that does have its "look" but I assure you we have not had any security issues and we take the safety of our guests very seriously. We are an older hotel but the plans have just been approved to remodel the common areas and the restaurant so I hope you will come back to see us next year when those have been completed.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Me and my friends decided to go out on 2nd street in Long Beach for the night, and this was the perfect hotel. Close to the area, clean, Nothing special. Elevators are slow and not the prettiest in the world. But that didn't bother us. It suited what I needed it for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for visiting Long Beach and choosing to stay with us. I apologize if the elevators were anything less than you expected but glad we met your needs for a great location and clean rooms. I hope you will choose to stay with us again.
Sharon Bateman

Been to Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)? Share your experiences!