“Better than the first impression” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)

You added Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1133 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90813   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #18 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Palo Alto CA
“Better than the first impression”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

Yes indeed a strange neighborhood; the hotel is located next to a large hospital and surrounded by an immigrant neighborhood (Cambodia town). Not a lot of restaurants nearby ( a so-so Korean restaurant and a burger joint are 5 blocks down the road towards the harbor).
I did not felt too comfortable when I checked in, but the room was actually fine for the price; the bedding is good , lots of pillows labeled firm or soft and the free internet was working ok; there is a coffee maker, a microwave and an fridge in the room (there is a nearby supermarket if you need to buy food or beverages). Breakfast was ok.
The staff is indeed friendly and helpful in particular the drivers of the courtesy shuttle that can bring you to the conference center or any place within 3 miles radius and pick you up again when you call. Alternatively, you can also get to the harbor and conference area or back to the hotel by taking the free shuttle bus running on Pine street ( a 10 min. walk away) or the regular city bus # 61 ( $ 1.25 fare) that stops in front of the hotel.
My complaint is the noise coming from the water pipes; I heard water flushes underneath my room every 10 minutes or so. Also the AC is outdated and noisy; can't sleep while running.
In summary, the hotel is ok for a 3-4 day conference stay (the upside is you pay muss less than in the ritzy glitzy hotels 10 blocks down the road near the convention center) and the shuttle provides convenient transportation.

Room Tip: stay away from the kitchen vents on 2nd floor and of the ice machine near the elevator of course
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Please accept my apology for any discomfort you experienced because of the noise. We are replacing all of the AC units as needed so I appreciate you letting me know this one needs to go. I am so happy you found our staff were “indeed” friendly and our accommodations to your liking. We do have great pillows and all the amenities you would want in a hotel room. The courtesy shuttle makes our guests life so much easier especially if they are at the convention center, no parking issues either.
Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback. It is invaluable in achieving our goal to provide all of guests a great hotel experience.. I encourage all guests to let us know, while they are on property, any concerns they have noise, etc. so we can make amends immediately.

Sharon Bateman

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Thai first
Los Angeles
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2012

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express in Long Beach-had a hard time finding the hotel because it is smack in the middle of a residential neighborhood. Not a nice neighborhood, would not walk around here at night, but the hotel was convenient to where I needed to be.it is relatively close to the 405 fwy, and also to downtown Long Beach, but if you have a choice, stay at one of the hotels near the water on ocean blvd where the scenery is much nicer.
However, the staff were friendly, and the hotel is easy access with the elevators straight from the parking area. The room is nice for the newly upraded Holiday Inn brand, not bad for the price. I like the new color pallette for the brand, decent coffee and toiletries. The view is not the best-you could see dilapidated homes and the backyards of homes with dogs and rusty roofs.
If you want clean and efficient, this will be fine, but look for a nicer hotel in a walkable neighborhod if you have a choice!

Room Tip: Bring a bullet proof jacket! Scary neighborhood. LOL
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, October 23, 2012
Thank you for taking time to give us feedback. It is great to know we met the mark and provided friendly service and a great guest room.. I am sorry if you felt uncomfortable about the neighborhood. It is true we are in a downtown urban area and that includes a hospital on one side and apartments in the back. Downtown areas are unique. But I assure you we are safe and secure.We offer our guests a courtesy shuttle available 6 am – 11 pm so it is not necessary to walk anywhere within a 3 mile radius. I appreciate you mentioning how convenient we are to the waterfront and the convention center. Being just 10 blocks from the ocean makes it possible to offer our guests a great value and still be within minutes of all the attractions of Long Beach. .Thank you again, we always appreciate hearing from our guests .

Oswestry
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 6 nights from 15th September with 2 colleagues on business. Everyone at the hotel was extremely friendly, helpful and obviously well trained. Rooms were clean and comfortable and more than adequate for our purpose...a room safe would have been welcome. Good breakfast service, we also had dinner a few times and this was also good. We had Priority Club offers which gave daily discounts for food and drink which made everything good value. Shuttle bus was excellent for our needs taking us and bags to and from the convention centre...and oh so friendly again.

I use Intercontinental Hotels worldwide and I have to say that this was ne of the most friendly and helpful that I have exoerienced over many years..well done and thanks to all.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, September 29, 2012
How kind of you to let us know about your experience. I am pleased you enjoyed the rooms and that the "courtesy" shuttle to the convention center was excellent. This is one of our favorite amenities. Thank you for mentioning the restaurant we do get great reviews on our food and staff and people are surprised at the quality because we are not just a "hotel" restaurant. Most importantly as you mentioned it is the friendly and trained staff that make all of this possible. I appreciate you choosing to stay with us and hope we will have the opportunity be of service to you again.
Warm regards,
Redlands,CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2012

Older hotel, but has been remodeled and rooms are nice. Hallways still old looking and carpet smelly.
Has shuttle service which is nice and closed parking.
Not the best neighborhood and would not want to go out alone. Inconvenient location.
Staff was very nice and accommodating.
AC very noisy.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Thank you for taking time to give us your feedback. I apologize if the the AC was noisy, I will have maintenance look into that right away. I am very glad you enjoyed the remodeled rooms and our courtesy shuttle service is a great asset and value for our guests. It is our primary goal to give our guests a great hotel experience and the staff is the key so it is nice to know we met the mark on that one. We are located in an urban area and that does have its "look" but I assure you we have not had any security issues and we take the safety of our guests very seriously. We are an older hotel but the plans have just been approved to remodel the common areas and the restaurant so I hope you will come back to see us next year when those have been completed.
California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2012

Me and my friends decided to go out on 2nd street in Long Beach for the night, and this was the perfect hotel. Close to the area, clean, Nothing special. Elevators are slow and not the prettiest in the world. But that didn't bother us. It suited what I needed it for.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, September 10, 2012
Thank you for visiting Long Beach and choosing to stay with us. I apologize if the elevators were anything less than you expected but glad we met your needs for a great location and clean rooms. I hope you will choose to stay with us again.
Carmel, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 18, 2012

We used this hotel as the staging property for family from around the country to gather prior to a cruise to marry our daughter. The staff and especially sharon the manager were outstanding! Every request was promptly handled. The restaurant food and service was high quality and fairly priced. Shuttle service dropped us right at the ship & promptly picked us up on our return. The rooms were clean and nicely decorated. I would highly recommend this hotel!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, August 21, 2012
It was my pleasure to be of service to you and your family. My staff and I enjoyed the opportunity to provide you with our courtesy shuttle to the cruise and back to the hotel on your return. The park and cruise package is a great value. We have recently refreshed our rooms and renovated our bathrooms so I am happy you enjoyed them. Cleanliness is always our top priority so I will pass on your positive feedback to our housekeeping staff. I appreciate you mentioning the high quality and fairly priced food because not everyone chooses to eat in the hotel when there are so many choices. Again it was our pleasure to be of service I look forward to welcoming you back to our area next time.

Warm Regards,
Minster, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012 via mobile

Coming from the UK didn't know the location about a mile from the beach.
But the staff more than made up for lacking a scenic location.
No one could be more helpful.
The Rooms were spacious as well as clean
The hotel had good facilities and the food was reasonably priced
Overall a good value choice

• Stayed August 2012
I appreciate you taking time to write a reveiw of your experience at our hotel. It is always rewarding to get positive feedback on our helpful staff, clean and spacous rooms, food and the value of your choice. We know you have lots of choices so thank you so much for letting us know we lived up to your expecatations as a good one.

Warm regards,
Sharon Bateman

Been to Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)? Share your experiences!