“Going on a cruise?” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)

Save Saved
You added Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area) to your Saves list
Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1133 Atlantic Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90813   |
Hotel deals
Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #21 of 58 hotels in Long Beach
San Mateo, California
“Going on a cruise?”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

Our Family, taking a four day cruise on Carnaval out of Long Beach, stayed at this hotel the night before we boarded. This hotel provided a great starting point for three different family groups; they shuttled us to and from the cruise ship terminal and allowed us to park our cars at a very reasonable rate while cruising. The rooms and restaurant were first rate, but the best part was the pleasant and helpful staff, with Justin, behind the front desk, being the star. He solved a number problems for us, providing extraordinary service, that helped make our family's trip a success.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, August 9, 2012
So pleased to hear our extraordinary service made your family’s trip a success . The Park and Cruise is a great package which provides free shuttle to and from the cruise lines, a great hotel room before you go and parking for your car while you are cruising.

Thanks again for choosing to stay with us. We look forward to the opportunity to welcome you back on your next family trip to Long Beach.

214 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Thai first
Minot, North Dakota
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2012

I was doubtful that this hotel would fulfill my expectations, based on my previous experiences with hotels in the class. But this hotel rocks. Despite some stains in carpeting and furniture, most everyone I encountered wanted to do their best to make my stay satisfying. The housekeeping staff was awesome, the maintenance guy Temo rocked and was always smiling and joking as appropriate. Furthermore, the shift manager was helpful with a special circumstance I had. The facility is nice enough; some small issues here and there, but overall comfortable and clean. The fitness facility is the best of any hotel I have ever stayed in -- EVER. I am glad their fitness area isn't neglected as I have come to expect.

My only negative comment is in regards to one of the front desk workers. She was rude, sarcastic, and unwelcoming. I was so disgusted with her during one of our conversations that I disliked being in the lobby at any time when she was behind the desk from that time forward. She clearly did not uphold the customer service standard of excellence of everyone else at this hotel. And that's too bad.

Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
Our hotel family truly loves providing our guests’ an awesome experience. So thank you for your comments I will pass them along. I want to apologize for any of our staff who did not uphold the customer service standards of excellence and I hope you will contact me so we can make amends. In spite of that experience I am happy to hear we made the “hotel rocks category” and you found our fitness facility to be “the best”.

I hope we will have the opportunity to be of service again soon.
Indianapolis, Indiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2012

The shuttle they have really helped me out by hooking us up with a ride. Saved on gas!!!!! Came in a little upset and Richard and Adrian were very helpful and then I was much calmer and smiling,and laughing before we went up to our room.

Room Tip: Up grades are a better choose of rooms.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, July 30, 2012
It is so great to hear our people and the shuttle are making our guests happy and saving them money. Thank you for taking the time to let us know about your experience. I hope you come visit us again.

Best wishes,
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2012

We stayed at the hotel as a large group and the staff were very accommodating. Brenda on the breakfast duty in the Anaheim Suite was exceptional! Thank you Brenda!
The room was spacious and really clean. There was an issue with the door keys getting demagnetized/deactivated. All the staff were very friendly and helpful. The shuttle service was excellent, not only would they take you downtown to the harbour area, they would also pick us up to return to the hotel from our event if we called ahead.....this is a fantastic service...

IMPORTANT! Of our party of 20 or so families at least SIX of us have had our credit card informational stolen and used at various locations from Costa Mesa to NJ and the HOTEL BOOKING SYSTEM was the common link.
It will make me think twice before making a reservation at Holiday Inn online again.
I'm just saying.........BEWARE! .....AND CHECK YOUR CREDIT CARD CHARGES!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, July 23, 2012
First let me assure you we are investigating your group member’s experience with your credit cards. We take your security very seriously and will continue to search for answers. Any other information you can provide to me would be appreciated. As of this date we have found no direct security issues online but it has been reported. I will keep you informed of any further findings.
I appreciate the time you spent sharing your experience at our hotel. I am extremely pleased that our staff was exceptional, very friendly and helpful. Our shuttle service is a great amenity and I am excited you and your group benefited from this service. I hope you will come back to see us soon. Again we are concerned about your credit card security and will keep pursuing answers. Please feel free to continue corresponding with me direct.
New Plymouth, New Zealand
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

From the moment we arrived we felt comfortable and cared for. Our room was always clean and beds very comfortable. Staff did all they could to accommodate our needs effortlessly. Their care made it easy for us to have a fabulous stay with family and enjoy Southern California entertainment. I highly recommend them! :D

Room Tip: I had two rooms, and both were great!
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Sharon B, General Manager at Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area), responded to this review, July 19, 2012
How gracious of you to take time to let us know about your experience. Thank you for choosing us for your home away from home and for giving us the pleasure of making you feel,”comfortable and cared for”. Your recommendation is our best reward. I hope we have the opportunity to be of service to you in the future.

UK
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

..............than made up for by the fact the hotel gladly taxi you to and from the more chic harbour front area without charge : )
The hotel itself is in a fairly poor area of Long Beach and not the sort of area you will easily find somewhere to eat or drink. In contrast, the chic harbour front has all the usually bars such as Hooters and a very good Irish bar which is packed Fri - Sun.
Hotel itself is approx 45 minutes from LAX international airport. So one point to bear in mind is that the hotel's bar and restaurant close at 9pm every night! Not ideal for arriving guests!
**Nice point > IHG members receive free breakfast vouchers**

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
I am so glad our shuttle service allowed you have a great experience and made up for us not being on the waterfront. It is true we are in an urban area about 11 blocks from the ocean and about 25 miles from LAX. However if it works for your future travel plans, we are just 5.5 miles from the Long Beach Airport. I am sorry our restaurant was not open when you arrived. I will have the front desk continue to monitor the demand for these services and will be happy to extend the hours if the demand increases. Thank you again for choosing to stay with us and I hope we will see you again soon.

Scottsdale AZ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2012

We stayed at this Holiday Inn in Long Beach for two weeks while we attended the national Junior Olympic trampoline and tumbling competition. Before arrival, the central reservations systems gave me fits, but calling the hotel directly resolved the problems. The hotel was very accommodating to our group and the entire staff was a delight. The hotel has a free shuttle to take you to major downtown areas, which saved a lot on parking fees. It picks you up on demand for the return trip.

The few things that need to be addressed were minor. The hotel keys had a habit of deactivating. By the end of the two weeks, we probably had replaced our keys well over a dozen times. Additionally, the housekeeping staff was less-than-vigilant about returning to a room if the "do not disturb" sign was out. Again, though, a trip to the front desk resolved that issue after the issue was brought to their attention.

Finally, I have to call out Brenda and the entire morning crew who served us breakfast and were thoughtful in every way to make the experience a good one (kids eat free!)

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
I want to thank you and your group for choosing to stay with us. We also had a great experience. I apologize for the reservation difficulties. I have spoken to the reservations manager and it appears there was some error on our part when we input the group, but glad our hotel staff resolved your issues. "Delightful" is a word we hope will always be used by our guests when they describe their experience so again thank you. The courtesy shuttle is one of our greatest values. Although we cannot guarantee the on demand part we do the best we can in a 3 mile radius.
The feedback about our keys has prompted us to investigate further and we have ordered a new card system so you and our other guests should not have to repeat this experience. The Do Not Disturb issue again gave us a great opportunity to address this with the staff and set up new communication policies so no other guests will have this unsatisfactory experience.
Yes “kids eat free” and I am so glad the restaurant staff’s thoughtfulness added value to that experience.

Sharon Bateman

Been to Holiday Inn Long Beach (Dwtn Area)? Share your experiences!