“Very nice place” 5 of 5 stars

$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
“Very nice place”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2006

I have stayed here many times and this hotel never disappoints. The hotel is beautifully decorated and upscale. The spotlessly clean rooms are a little small, but the beds make up for it. They are fabulous with down comforters, pillow-top mattresses, and lots of down pillows. The entire hotel is very clean and well maintained. The staff is always curteous and helpful. We ate breakfast in the hotel restaurant and it was very good. The pool area is outstanding with waterfalls and lush tropical plants. I would highly recommend this hotel. It is also very close to the airport.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
michigan
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2006

The hotel must have been updated since previous posts, as it was wonderful, with featherbeds, down comforters on the beds, wonderful toiletries with a citrus scent,....it was exceptionally clean as well.
Was there for a meeting, and they were filming a movie in the lobby, which was a bit inconvenient, but no one complained!

• Stayed January 2006, traveled on business
Southern California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 20, 2005

We stayed here for one night and were very satisfied. The comments in the past reviews concerned us, but when we arrived, we found a very sharp, well decorated hotel.
The furnishings in our room looked new and the bathroom was spotless and comparatively roomy.
Since I have a thing for watching airport operations, I got us a room on the top floor facing the runway (south). I found that they have dual framed windows (not just dual paned) that knock down the sound of planes taking off to the point where the toilet flushing in the bathroom (with the bathroom door closed) makes more noise than the planes outside. If you're a real light sleeper, ask for the north side. But with the A/C running, my family didn't notice any extra noise from the planes.
The breakfast buffet is very nice and loaded with choices.
The workout room is better than most, with individual flat panel TVs with headphone jacks attached to each machine so you can have your choice of distraction while you sweat.
The two pools (indoor and outdoor) are both nice, but in SoCal I can't imagine it ever getting cold enough to opt for the indoor. The jacuzzi was OK, but had a little too much foam accumulating at the top for me. It's kind of hard to relax when your regularly having to push away a load of foam from your face.
Service was excellent. Our request for extra pillows was brought up in 15 minutes and check in/out was very smooth.
Parking was free. The lot was packed, as was the hotel, but the common areas are big enough to allow people to spread out and not feel cramped.
Overall, this was a very good experience. Most Marriotts we stay in are solid 3+ star properties and this one definitely fits into that group.

• Stayed September 2005
california
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 8, 2005

We stayed only one night at the Long Beach Marriott because we were flying out of Long Beach airport early the next morning. We were disappointed to find out that the hotel will only keep your vehicle for an extended period of time if you are going on a cruise. The lobby of the hotel is ok, but check in was frustrating. We arrived on a Friday evening and it appeared that a soccer club had taken over the lobby. It was crowded, loud and hard to hear what the clerk was saying. When we got to the room, we were disappointed to see the old decor for the price we were paying. The bar/cafe on site was horrible. The food was prepared as room service, just as expensive and their tap beers were not available. The service was bad, with excuses of how they were short on staff, etc.
We had to check out early the next morning, around 4:30am and the express check out on our room's television was out of order. The desk clerk had gone to the airport to drop off guests, and no one was available to help us until 20 minutes later. We will never stay at this hotel again.

• Stayed May 2005
Cincinnati, Ohio
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 16, 2005

This hotel is starting to show some age. Although the staff was nice and friendly, the rest of the hotel needs some help. The beds are OK, but a bit lumpy. The TV's seem to have problems with the satalite. Channels would come and go. The carpets in the room are filthy. You will have your white socks black in an afternoon. Most of the furnishings in the room are also worn. The pool outside is nice, but the indoor one smells of mold. There is a nice sports bar with plenty of good beer. I never had any of the food. My last stay I saw that they were working on some rooms, so maybe things will get better. It does need more than the new wall paper that I saw tough.

• Stayed May 2005, traveled on business
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2004

For the most part we had a pleasant stay, but I can't recommend this hotel enthusiastically. First of all, the exterior of the hotel is a dingy dark tan color; seems to need painting. The lobby has a 1980's look. The carpets in the hallways were worn-out and threadbare in spots with seemingly no padding. Ditto the carpet in the room. The bathroom countertop had lost its finish and also needed to be replaced. The rooms facing the airport runway were extremely noisy when jets were taking off. Stay on the opposite (north) side of the building. It makes a big difference. We did move to a room on that side, and the carpet was newer (still needed padding) and countertop new. The room air conditioners have an extreme mildew odor, and we ended up opening the windows at times for fresh air instead. There is no security in the parking lot, which is plastered with signs that read, "Not responsible for theft or damage to vehicles." Parking is free, but you obviously park there at your own risk.
I had a strange encounter with a housekeeper in the hallway when I requested a bath towel and washcloth. There weren't enough in the room. She was very reluctant to give them to me and asked me if there was another housekeeper at my end of the hallway, which there obviously wasn't. When I asked her for hair conditioner also, she said it is only available on the concierge levels. I know this is not the standard for a full-service Marriott hotel.
Other than all of the above, we enjoyed our stay. The rest of the staff was friendly and helpful, typically Marriott. The pool area is nice, and there is even a separate indoor hotel. The restaurants looked fine, but we didn't eat there. The location is convenient, right off the I-405 Freeway.

• Stayed August 2004
A TripAdvisor Member
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2004

I came to Long Beach for an exam at Long Beach Memorial and I was so pleased that we stayed at The Marriott. I was so stressed out to begin with, but as soon as we entered the hotel, I knew things would be great for me. The landscaping was so peaceful and beautiful it put my mind at ease right away. After I passed my exam on the third day of testing my husband decided to have a celebration buffet breakfast downstairs. The food was excellent and the flowers and foliage made me feel like a content kitten. You must stay here, but it is a bit far from the convention center if you are here on business.

Been to Marriott Long Beach? Share your experiences!