“Beautiful Lobby... disappointing guest room floors” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
$25 Daily Credit
Ranked #21 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Calgary, Canada
“Beautiful Lobby... disappointing guest room floors”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

We booked this hotel planning to stay for multiple nights, but ended up only staying one.. mostly because we wanted to experience a different property in Long Beach, but in the end it ended up being a blessing in disguise.

We walked into the hotel quite late, and from first looks, it was beautiful. It looked recently renovated, nice furniture.. marble floors, the whole nine yards. We went to check in, and were greeted a little less friendlier than I expected. It was very casual, versus the service I expected. In the end, we just were tired and hungry, and decided to head up to our room. (Also disappointed that he knew nothing about having complimentary bottled water in our room for elite guests?)

We got up to our floor, and wondered if we were even in the same hotel. The floor looked like it hadn't been renovated in probably 15 years. Very 90's carpet.. bright colours and all. Just shocking more than anything. When we got into the room, we could tell that they were either very selective on what they were able to renovate.. or they were trying to go for a.. mixed look. Overall.. it was an okay room. Not spectacular.

We went to breakfast the next morning as we asked for a breakfast voucher since the concierge level was closed due to the weeekend. The guy once again seemed shocked we would ask for this, but as an elite guest I thought I was supposed to receive it? Not sure what happened there.

The woman who served us however, was AWESOME. She was engaging, very friendly, and was more than happy to help at any point. She even went and made my husband chocolate milk when he requested it and didn't charge us because she knew we had a long night, the night before. Great customer service. I think she's one of the reasons the hotel wasn't terrible for me. I believe her name may have been Stacy...? She was serving towards the back end of the restaurant on July 20th!

Overall.. I wouldn't return back to the hotel. The second property we went to was better, and I'd stay elsewhere. If you were needing to go to the airport in Long Beach, this would be a hotel for you. For a quick, only need a bed (which were fairly comfortable) to sleep in, stay.

Room Tip: Not on the second floor. You can hear everytime someone takes a shower, and it makes a high pitched...
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Art R, Director of Sales at Marriott Long Beach, responded to this review, July 25, 2014
Thank you for your comments.
I am assuming that you are a Marriott Rewards Platinum or Gold Member when you mentioned elite membership? If you are either on one of these categories, you should have been given a choice of complimentary breakfast or 750 marriott rewards points upon arrival. Unfortunately, Silver members are not yet given these options/benefits when the Concierge Lounge is closed on the weekends.
Our carpet up on the floors have a modern design. I agree, we have detractors and admirers for them

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2014

This Marriott met my expectations for the price. Rooms were spacious, pool was nice, restaurant and Starbucks were convenient, and lobby was well designed and relaxing. Very good elevator service and clean rooms.

• Stayed July 2014
Thank you for your comments.
We are glad that you had an enjoyable stay with us. We look forward to seeing you back in the very near future.
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

I've been to this location a few times before and never had a problem. However, on my last stay I managed to catch ringworm and it had to be from this hotel. I was there for 9 days, working in the meeting rooms downstairs and only left the hotel for dinner. Not once did I use an off-site restroom or anything like that. Well, near the end of my stay, I developed a small itchy spot on the inside of my leg. I thought I would go away but by the time I returned home a few days later it was very apparent that it was ringworm. Like I said, there was no other way I could've gotten ringworm where I did unless it was from towels, sheets, shower facilities, etc. I called the hotel about it and was told to call back when the general manager was in on Monday. That's great and everything, but in the meantime there's a disgusting infection in the room I stayed in. Shouldn't they sterilize that room? Maybe they did, maybe they didn't. Anyways, I called the manager today and he basically denied my claims and told me I needed to talk to a dermatologist to figure out how I got it and that he couldn't compensate me. I only stay in Marriott's for business, some compensation would be nice for this gross infection I have to deal with for the next few weeks, but this isn't some sort of scam for free rooms. At least an apology would have been nice, but not even that. Totally disgusting and disrespectful. I'm really disappointed.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 204 anytime soon.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
Art R, Director of Sales at Marriott Long Beach, responded to this review, July 22, 2014
Ross, thank you for your comment. I was not the Manager that spoke to you this morning nor am I a Dermatologist. I do not know what causes the ringworm so I cannot comment on that aspect. Towels and sheets are cleaned with approved detergents by Marriott. Rooms are thoroughly cleaned especially the beds, bathrooms and carpets with approved cleaning solutions and procedures..
Buffalo Grove, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2014

Arrived on July 3rd for a one night stay... Hotel is literally across the street from the airport.. Very convenient.... Was really nice to get off the plane, collect luggage, and drive across the street... Was upgraded to a concierge level room, which included dinner reception, and light breakfast... All the public areas were in good condition as was the room I was in... Nice pool area, restaurant... Only misgiving I had was that the a/c on my floor was out the night I was there... As I was leaving the next morning it was in the process of being repaired... All the staff were very accommodating which makes for a pleasant stay... I would definitely return, assuming my travels take me to the area...

Room Tip: If you like to watch the planes, ask for a room facing the runway
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments. I am glad you found our hotel to be convenient for your needs. The Long Beach Marriott is easily accessible to the Long Beach Airport and to major attractions in Southern California. We look forward to your return trip.
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2014

I thought this was a very good hotel. I opened one of the side-tables and discovered a Gideon Bible. Great! I thought. But there was also the Mormon cult's "Book Of Mormon." What to do? Well, I ran a Google, and found that this Hotel chain is owned by a prominent Mormon who "must" give 10% of his profits to the cult, so if you want to support the Mormons, have at it. If not, go elsewhere. Otherwise, it is a clean, professional Hotel, and, unlike many of their Eastern counterparts, they charge nothing for parking. This was THE hotel for the So-Cal Irish Fair, and so I found myself there, and will never again. My review says the stay is fine; my philosophy says it is not. The choice is yours.

Room Tip: The coffee is not great, so skip the room freebie and go to Starbuck's down the street.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Art R, Director of Sales at Marriott Long Beach, responded to this review, June 27, 2014
Thank you for your comment.
We respect your religious views and beliefs. Marriott Associates are responsible and dedicated innkeepers and we are glad you enjoyed your stay with us. We look forward to hosting the Irish Faire once again and we hope you would set aside your philosophical views for a couple of days. Enjoy the amenities that our hotel offers and the friendly staff that are ready to serve your needs.
Salt Lake City
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2014

My 6 year old and I stayed here for one night, pre-cruise. I really wanted to stay by the pier, but we made reservations at the last minute, so most nice hotels were sold out.
I chose this hotel for 3 reasons:
Connivence: It literally is walking distance from the airport, with wide sidewalks. Safe for kids, and you literally cannot get lost. About a 10-15 minute walk which is nice after being on a plane. Or you can wait for the shuttle. About the same amount of time.
Next, Amenities: They have 2 nice restaurants, a Starbucks, a beautiful indoor and outdoor pool, beautiful grounds and lobby, a fire pit, and a qym. It was a heated pool, too. My son loved it. They offer poolside food and cocktail services as well. Not crowded and plenty of chaise lounges. Oh, there is NO jacuzzi at this hotel if that makes a difference to anyone.
Last, the price was very reasonable.
However again, If we would have been in the area for more than one night, and wanted to explore, I would have stayed by the pier. It's about a $35 cab ride to downtown, the beautiful pier and wonderful restaurants. I had no idea Long Beach was actually fun, and kid-friendly! I would have extended the trip just to stroll around, go to the aquarium, rent a boat, etc..So worth it!
A couple more notes: The rooms probably need a little updating. I wasn't too concerned but I know many are about that. The bathroom especially. It wasn't dirty, just outdated. No big deal for one night though.
I heard NO airplanes during the night, or in the early morning. Our room faced the airport, too. I did hear some planes while at the pool, but so few and far between. It's a small airport, after all. We had a view of the golf course in the distance and the parking lot. My advice, ask for a room facing the pool. It's pretty.
Keep in mind if you have a car, parking downtown is a nightmare. the hotels there have no choice but to charge you a parking fee I would guess, and the public lots are always full. This hotel, the parking was of course free.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Art R, Director of Sales at Marriott Long Beach, responded to this review, June 23, 2014
Thank you for your comments. I am glad that you and your family had an enjoayble stay with us. If you are looking for entertainment, the Lakewood Center / Shopping Mall is located just 3.5 miles from the hotel. They have numerous restaurants and movie theaters. We also provide complimentary shuttle.
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 20, 2014 via mobile

Recently stayed here and while I was worried about being so close to the airport I was pleasantly surprised how quiet it was. Room and common areas were clean. Front desk staff was very nice but the bellman were lackluster. The food was highly overpriced for such small portions, probably best you eat elsewhere.

• Stayed June 2014
Thank you for staying with us and for your comment. I am glad you had an enjoyable stay with us. I have forwarded your comment to our Executive Chef so that he may be informed.

Been to Marriott Long Beach? Share your experiences!