“A tale of two hotels” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Saskatchewan
“A tale of two hotels”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 14, 2012

We've stayed in this hotel twice--once in October 2011 and once in February 2012, and both times for multiple nights over a weekend. Pros for us are the hotel's location: it is quite convenient to all of Long Beach and is nicely situated near the Queen Mary. The Aquarium area is a short walk away, which includes all the restaurants and whatnot over there. The free bus goes right by the hotel, so that is convenient too.

The tale of two hotels, for me, is this: one side face the Queen Mary and the ocean; the other the river and the port and overlooks a boat launch. I didn't much care for the latter view and found the boat noise to be bothersome (not a big big problem, but there was engine revving going on as boats were pulled out of the water in the evening; mornings were quiet, though people were launching at 5 a.m. -- we were up as we needed an early start). The Queen Mary and ocean view is superb and makes this a special hotel and location.

Otherwise, the rooms are the same--a decent kitchen, sitting room area, and decent bed, all of it quite new. We found the room to be a bit dusty (dust collected on the lamps), and there were some popcorn kernels on the carpet, so cleaning could be better--but it was overall quite clean so that isn't a big issue.

On our first stay, I was able to specifically book a Queen Mary view, but not on the second stay (only the expensive corner view rooms were book-able but not one side or the other of the hotel for the regular rooms). I asked about it at check-in and the clerk said you could just book the regular room and then the view rooms were first-come first-serve, which is too bad.

We'll be back in LB in a couple of months and I'm torn about staying here again. I think it offer much for the money, but I don't like not being able to reserve a specific side of the hotel.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (105)
El Paso, Texas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2012

i had always stayed at the Maya when going to Long Beach and then i went walking one day along the bay and saw this place. so the next time i was in Long Beach i decided to stay at the residence inn and was blown away! This place is modern,sleek, gorgeous!!!!!! The staff is super friendly, the breakfast in the morning is amazing!-homemade waffles, eggs,roasted potatoes,salsa,cheese, homemade oatmeal with brown sugar or raisins or walnuts! amazing!! and you can eat in the lobby area so there is plenty of room ( i hate small eating areas in hotels).
The pool and hot tub are tiny but nice and they have an outdoor fireplace with lounge furniture. We enjoyed a beer many evenings while we stayed.
They have a pantry so you can get yourself a cold beer or in case you forgot anything they have toothbrushes,etc. The grounds are gorgeous, you can walk along the bay all the way to the Queen Mary. It's a little tricky getting to the hotel (all those darn pier exits) but it's so worth it. PLus they have a kitchen with a stove and stainless steel fridge and plates,etc. the bathrooms was nice and the shower/tub is roomy.
i swear this is the only place i will stay from now on. I am going back in two months and this time will take plenty of pictures but trust me....you can't go wrong with this place. ridiculously amazing!!!!!

Room Tip: any room is a good room int his place
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 2, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights over New Years. First off, we arrived later in the evening and found it difficult to find a parking spot (we had the same problem the following night too) so if you are coming during a busy time, be forewarned. Check-in was pleasant and we were given a nice room on the 8th floor with a view over the causeway and the Queen Mary. It was however, the first time we've ever had to sign a waiver stating we weren't allowed to have a party in our room? The next day we left in the morning and when we returned, my son almost fell over a workman's toolbox sitting in the middle of the floor. Apparently our kitchen sink (which we never got to use) was clogged. It was late afternoon and we needed the room to get ready for our New Year's Eve plans so the workman never returned. We weren't planning on cooking and were leaving the next day so it wasn't that big of a deal. When we returned to the room later that night, there was a bad odour from the sink but c'est la vie, it was late and not worth bothering about. We were hoping to see the fireworks from the Queen Mary but super thick fog prevented that from happening but we could hear them well enough, lol. The next day when we were just about to leave the room, the sink suddenly started backing up with black yucky water and overflowed onto the floor! I called the front desk to let them know, put some towels down and then we left. Overall, it seemed like a nice place but we unfortunately didn't get much enjoyment from staying there.

Stayed December 2011, traveled with family
Thousand Oaks, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2012

I stayed here for 3 nights for business and was pleasantly surprised at the accomodations. I knew it had a kitchen with a refrigerator, but was shocked that there was a dishwasher and two burners as well. I had prepared accordingly and brought food from the grocery store with me. If I wasn't at the office working then it was the room, which was perfect with a great sized desk for working on the computer and spreading paperwork out amongst the area. I was extremely comfortable and felt completely secure. The view was fabulous although I didn't have much time to enjoy it and the hotel overall extremely clean and well kept. The price seemed a tad high, but being that the hotel is practically brand new I understand. The only complaint per se that I would have is that the area where the shower and toilet are located is extremely dark, more lighting in this area is definitely needed. I felt like I was taking a shower in the dark. Otherwise an overall gem of a hotel especially for those with children. Employees were great too!

Room Tip: I was on the 8th floor, but I think anything above the 4th floor was probably a fantastic view.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Santa Barbara, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2012

The room I was initially given was not cleaned properly. I had completely unpacked before I noticed that there was unflushed paper in the toilet, a full bathroom waste basket, the carpet and bare floors were dirty and there was food in the refrigerator. I was given another room so I had to repack everything then unpack again in the new room. The new room was barely acceptable. There was visible dirt and crumbs on the carpet. There were food stains in the kitchen sink and in the refrigerator (These were cleaned the following day). I told the desk attendant that I wanted to to speak to the manager about the dirty room sometime during the week I stayed. I never heard from the manager. Also, the printer in the "business center" was out of order the entire week. The room with the two computers and broken printer looked as though it never got cleaned. I was told that breakfast would be available at 6 AM. The first morning I went down at 6:15. All the lights were off and the food was not out.
The unscented soap in the rooms smelled like rancid butter and lotion was not provided.
The Social Hour food on 2 of the 3 days was very good (especially the cheeses and hummus). The nachos offered on day one were not appetizing. Free wine and beer was wonderful!
The hotel is inconvenient to get to eating places and shopping.
The guest rooms are a good size.

Room Tip: Choose the Queen Mary side. I was on the other side which has nice views but is fairly noisy with t...
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Kingston, Jamaica
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

We stayed about 7 days here in September and this is way better than the Residence Inn on Willow. I wanted to try this to compare but will always stay here when we visit. The area is beautiful, you can walk on the waterfront past gorgeous hotel Maya, then on to the Queen Mary. If you're too tired at that point to walk back, take the free Passport bus from Queen Mary back to Maya Hotel stop then short walk to Residence Inn.

We stayed in a 2 BR unit and it was perfect for our whole family of me, my hubby, 2 little kids and my parents. I love the decor! So modern/posh. This is the most modern Residence Inn I've stayed at, I guess they're all upgrading to this look? Modern sofas and seating areas, flat screen tvs, a great view of the water at the lobby and even the pool area looks so posh. It has an outdoor fireplace, music piped through the speakers during the day at least. There's also beautiful outdoor seating/sofa and eating areas, then nice comfy seats around the pool and a great hot tub.

Daily breakfast is great, there's tons to choose from, what a feast! Then the limited night snacks were great too. I don't remember if it's Monday to Thursday nights when they have some sort of happy hour type fare.

Will stay here again, so close to Long Beach Aquarium (hop on the free Passport bus from Maya Hotel, it's just across the bridge), short drive to great malls and Disneyland too. What a great treat to stay at this place with family!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
Freeport, IL
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2011

Our family stayed at the Residence Inn the night and day before our Disney Wonder cruise. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The view from the 8th floor was great. Our kids were so excited to see the Wonder at the dock in the morning right from our window!

When we arrived at the hotel we were pleased that they were able to give us an early check in. However, when my husband entered the first room to which we were assigned it had a terrible smell. As he walked in further he saw a can of bed bug spray/room fumigator on the floor next to the garbage can. He immediately came downstairs where I was still at the front desk and we were moved to a different room with many apologies. We had no further incidents with bugs.

We had a room with a king bed and pullout sofa, plus a pack and play. Perfect for saving money by going to the drivable-distance Wal-mart for food from the deli (instead of an expensive restaurant). Note: my husband said the area where the Wal-mart is located seemed a bit seedy.

We used the free shuttle (pick up at a hotel within walking distance) to get to the Long Beach boardwalk. The staff explained that downtown parking is expensive. The front desk staff person (Jeanne, I think) was also very helpful in finding us a better rate on a private car back to the airport upon our return and they also stored our stroller for us during our cruise. She also gave me extra "welcome" cookies (provided for Marriott rewards members) so my three kids didn't have to fight over them!

We stayed until check out at noon, eating the free breakfast and using the pool. My only concern was that when we went to the room at noon to get our bags, it was already being cleaned. The cleaning person had already removed our personal belongings (we had left just a few small bags... my husband almost left his wallet sitting there. Thank goodness he didn't!). Luckily she was still in the process of cleaning and had our items on her cart in a plastic bag. In the future, I would prefer they not start emptying out our room until AFTER we have checked out.

Overall, the friendly and helpful staff and location next to the Port of Los Angeles make this a great place to stay before a cruise. The suites, pool and shuttle to the boardwalk are a plus if you have kids to entertain until you board the ship.

Room Tip: Rooms on a higher floors will have a view of the port.
  • Stayed November 2011, traveled with family

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Long Beach Downtown? Share your experiences!