“Queen Mary's Queen's Salon - nice hall, bad restrooms” 3 of 5 stars

The Queen Mary
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802   |
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Orange County
“Queen Mary's Queen's Salon - nice hall, bad restrooms”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

My wife and I attended a wedding reception at Hotel Queen Mary, at the Queen's Salon. The reception hall was big. I would say it's capable of having 300 people comfortably seated. It's a treat that the reception is there, because if you haven't really been on Queen Mary, then you could get a tour of the ship for free since you are a guest. Outside the salon is a great view of downtown Long Beach. The only bad thing I could say about the Queen's Salon is the terrible restrooms. The catered food was good. Queen Mary Hotel is best suited for people who are going on a cruise and the terminal is just there in the vicinity. Otherwise, I don't see any reason why you should stay in this old hotel/ship.

Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,149)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Winchester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2009

....for keeping the RMS Queen Mary alive. We have had a lovely night's stay on the old ship and it has been maintained in a wonderful condition with so many original features . Wandering through the brass and wood lined corridors to the sound of Glen Miller was an authentic trip back in time. The ship's company were great and had a real pride in working in such a unique place. We were treated like real royals staying in the old state rooms with their own hallway, writing tables, panelled bedroom and the bathroom with those old taps! Living in Southampton England I felt really jealous that Long Beach rather than her home port had become her resting place. And retreading the steps that I had last taken on the ship in November 1963 was quite moving. An unforgettable and great value experience of a lifetime.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
melbourne
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

the ship is showing its age, and we only stayed for one night midweek so we had no neighbours to test the thin walls.
its an interesting walk around the ship with the kids, and the rooms are adequate (but a little dark........but it is a ship and nothing can be done about that)
but it was the most comfortable bed we had in a month in the USA!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
London Englland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2009

Stayed here for one night, would have stayed for two but hotel was full. Staff told us they have 300 rooms and a lot of the time they are fully booked.
Our cabin was a first class outside stateroom on B deck wih a lovely view of Long Beach.
Yes the walls are very thn but it does say in the information book placed in the cabin that when the engines aren't running noise travels to your next door cabin so be aware of this and be a good neigbour. We stayed mid week and the boat was very quiet, seems Friday and Saturday nigjhts are big entertainment nights so expect late night disturbance is our advice.

Room very clean and we had a great big super king size bed with a very modern comfortable mattress. Our shower worked well, not just a dribble of water but don't expect the performance of a modern day power shower.

Grerat value food in the Promenade Cafe and excellent service too. The staff had a doggy bag at the ready which we used as the portions are large

As a hotel guest you have complete freedom to roam the ship day and night indeed the staff at checkin actively encouraged us to do so.

On the down side we felt that a parking fee of $15 for an overnight stay is justified especially midweek when the car park is virtually empty.

The Queen Mary Hotel is a truly unique exprience and we just loved staying there. We have come away with treasured memories and literally dozens of photographs.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Alberta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 11, 2009

Please don't listen to the pessimists out there--this hotel is a living museum and is absolutely gorgeous. People who complain about the age and the "much needed updates" are either used to being pampered or have little appreciation for history. Be prepared for the fact that this hotel is being kept very original and possibly won't be up to your modern standards--though if you appreciate original beauty, history and bygone days from the turn of the century, you will love this place! Not everyone understands that this hotel is still basically the same as it was when the liner first set sail in the 30's. At the time, this was the height of luxury and top of the line in everything, this hotel has housed many celebrities, classic movie stars and even royalty. That being said, what was once luxury is now considered sub-par which is the saddest thing about the reviews on this site. Believe me, if you can appreciate the fact that the staff is working very hard to keep the Queen Mary looking as it used to, you fill find beauty in every wood panel, in the "worn" carpet, in the "dark" rooms, etc. The walls are thin, true, but this is a freaking SHIP people, nothing is made of drywall!! Yes, this place is a bit worn out, but think of the fact that there are 90 years worth of scratches in the walls and other damage which is so hard to repair while trying to keep something "original". If you restore it enough, it will no longer be the what it was and will just be another of the luxury, fancy schmancy hotels we are so used to these days. So keep in mind that this hotel is meant to be experienced as it once was, and the point of its existance is not to compete with the Ritz Carlton!! This is an absolute trip back in time.
All that being said, the rooms are great (we stayed in a stateroom with porthole windows--which is obviously why the room is "dark"...portholes don't tend to provide much light!) and the woodwork and cabinetry was all original and beautifully and carefully kept up. The staff at the front desk was very helpful for the most part. There is always an odd grump, but that's really the case everywhere you go. Room service is prompt and polite, the housekeeping is great and the tours are amazing! We went to the "Ghosts and Legends Tour" which came with our Historical Package and just seeing the guts of the ship and all the areas which are inaccessible to public was a great experience. This hotel even tries to be "green" and conserve energy which I think is awesome.
If you get the chance, go on a self-guided tour and explore the ship inside and out, open every single door you can and go down every hallway--you never know what you'll find!! This place is like a treasure map!
So again, don't listen to the nay-sayers and experience Queen Mary for yourself, as a piece of history you have a true priviledge to be part of.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Maryland
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2009

I was in Long Beach attending a conference, and my husband and I stayed at the Hotel Queen Mary for 5 days. I had read several Trip Advisor reviews prior to our stay, and many of the negative comments turned out to be true. The walls are very thin, the rooms are dark, the carpets need to be replaced, and the bathroom was clean but very outdated. The inside of the tub had been painted, and the paint was peeling off in sheets. There was no rubber bath mat provided, so we had to call housekeeping to get one, otherwise we would have slipped in the tub. The water pressure was low, and the height of the shower head would have been adequate only for someone 5'5" or less. The bed was comfortable, but the bedspread had spots of white paint on it, and looked like it needed to be washed. We did not sleep with it on the bed. The food in the restaurants was good, but VERY expensive. The prices in the various shops in the hotel were also expensive. There was only one working elevator and no swimming pool. If I had been paying for the room, I would have left after one night. However, my organization had paid for our stay, so we decided to tough it out. One night on the Dowager Queen Mary would have been sufficient. I think it's time to scuttle this ship.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled on business
Escondido, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2009

I just returned from a weekend stay at the Hotel Queen Mary. My husband and I were sorely disappointed. We were planning a relaxing weekend, but I came home needing to relax! When we originally made the reservations, we were supposed to stay there the last weekend of July. I fell ill and called them 36 hours before we were supposed to arrive. I was told at that time, by the reservations supervisor, Spencer Day, that I had 2 choices, either change the reservation or pay for the weekend anyway. I then explained that I had had chest pains the previous evening and my doctor was doing tests. First he said I should have called them earlier, within the 48 hour cancellation period, then he said "We don't like our guests to cancel, we prefer they stay with us and enjoy themselves." He then told me I had until the end of the day to call back with an alternate date for our stay or we would be paying for the weekend anyway. I felt he was bullying me into this stay and I resented his attitude.

We knew we were going to be in late on Friday night, so my husband called to let them know that we were on our way. He was told that they would hold the room until 12 midnight. Unknown to us at the time, they had already charged the first night to the credit card instead of just using it to hold the room. If we hadn't gotten there by midnight they were going to double sell the room and we would have been out the first night stay and have no room.
Our room was warm the first night and as some of the other comments relflected, the porthole kept us from baking. The walls are indeed paper thin and we could hear the conversation of the group next door whenever they were talking. It was a family and the kids kept slamming the door and somehow hitting the walls so it sounded like they were coming through. There were only 2 overhead lights in the room and only one worked. The one in the sitting area was out and so it wasn't possible to sit and read or look over the brochures provided.
The second night there was a party next door which was so loud we had trouble hearing the television. They were up til well after midnight and up in the morning before 7 so our sleep was short.
In the morning we recived two invoices under our door. Ours and our neighbors. Amazingly, they had an identical room to ours, they had 4 people in their room to our 2, they had charged meals to their room, and they had stayed 3 nights to our 2, yet their bill was within $19 of ours. When I asked at the desk for the same rate, I was told it was not possible to change our rate, that they had gotten a special deal. Now, I realize that there are always deals to be had, but when you send me someone else's bill for the same room and they are paying less than half of my rate, I would expect some sort of adjustment. This was also when we were informed that our credit card had been charged for the first night's stay when the reservation was made. This little detail had never been mentioned when the reservation was made and we had not planned to use that particular card for this trip. The clerk was only able to say "sorry" (several times) and we were offered our room keys as a souvenir, which we declined.
The food and beverages on board were tourist prices plus. They should offer some sort of incentive for guests to eat on board.. Showing a room key or charging food to your room should get you a more reasonable price. We ended up going to Kavikas in the harbor area across from the ship. They had a great happy hour with deals on food and drinks. The ship ended up being just a hotel for us. I wouldn't go back, I feel we were treated shabbily.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple

Been to The Queen Mary? Share your experiences!