“Nostaligic - Kids LOVED it!” 4 of 5 stars

The Queen Mary
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802   |
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Minneapolis, Minnesota
“Nostaligic - Kids LOVED it!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

My boys are Titanic Crazy, so we thought this would be a great place to stay during our pilgrimage to Disney Land. When we surprised them in the parking lot that we were actually staying on-board, my 6 year old said, 'this is the greatest day of my life!"

Staying on-board included a complimentary self guided tour of the ship. By far, the biggest hit for the boys was the engine room, propeller,and bridge. The front desk handed us a comparison sheet of the Titanic to the QM and QM2

Be advised to go into this stay with the right mind-set. It is a 1936 ocean liner, after all. The family suite was actually spacious for a ship, but is no-frills. There is no coffee maker, and not an over-abundance of furniture - just the basics (2 beds, table, two chairs, and TV). The bathroom is retro.

Per the advice of other Trip-Advisors, we did request starboard (bay side) and got two functioning portholes looking back toward Long Beach and the channel. The walls are very 'thin' as often mentioned, and we could here normal conversation from the next door room, but it wasn't horrible.

We did eat on-board at the Promenade Cafe for dinner and found the food to be okay. We had to hit the on-board Starbucks for our morning Coffee.

Room Tip: Request and exterior room on the starboard side for better views. There is no free coffee, so you m...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
QM1934, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, June 19, 2014
WI87 -

Thank you for the feedback...I gotta admit though - I didn't read anything past your boy saying, 'this is the greatest day of my life!"

-The Queen Mary Commodore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (1,144)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Sacramento, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2014

I don’t write bad reviews unless something is uniquely bad, or a I am particularly offended because I figure anyone can have a bad day. My stay, however, fell into both categories.

Management tries to deny it but there are hidden fees – one of which is the charge for incidentals. The “incidentals fee” is 75.00 per day. If you use a debit card, they will take out $75.00 per day from your account. We had two rooms for two nights. So The Queen Mary debited $350.00 from my account right away. If we were staying another two nights, they would have taken another $350.00 out of our account as soon as we checked in. Moreover, we were told that it could take up to 10 days to have this charge credited back to our account. This is not disclosed anywhere on their website. The check-in clerk pointed to a sign disclosing this at the front desk, but this is not until after you have already booked the room online, and hauled your family to The Queen Mary. How this daily incidental fee works should be prominently displayed on their website. So be careful if you plan to book this room with your debit card.

The “business center” is a joke. It has two computers, and one printer. You have to pay extra for the “business center” as it is not included as part of the “facilities fee” which I will get to in a moment. The “business center” was out of order for our entire two-night stay. Initially we were told it would be fixed in two hours. It wasn’t. The employee directed me to a Kinkos that was quite a distance away. I listened to this employee lament about how the technician had been called multiple times, but had not arrived. When we checked out of the hotel the “business center” was still out of order. I saw another couple asking about the “business center,” and I could hear another employee telling the guests that they called the technicians, but they hadn’t arrived yet. This is just unacceptable in my mind. We were told that the Queen Mary had no control because the “business center” is operated by a third-party. Not having access to a printer put me in a bit of a jam. I never anticipated that this hotel would not have access to a printer for multiple days.

There is a also a facilities fee is a joke. It is 14.95 a night. I understand that some hotels, especially hotels in Las Vegas, have resort fees. The facilities fee in this place only includes access to the gym and Wi-Fi. None in our group used the gym, and my children who were staying in one of the rooms certainly had no interest in it. We didn’t use it either. So that leaves, for both rooms, nearly $30.00 per night for internet service for a total of $60.00. I never understand how I can go to Starbucks, the grocery store and many other places and the internet access is free, but hotels such as this one want to charge exorbitant amounts for it.

In short, when you book online the room rates seem very reasonable, and it appears that you are getting a tremendous value. When you add up all of the fees and taxes, you are actually paying the same if not more when compared to hotels in the same area. Aside from the history surrounding The Queen Mary itself, the hotel is well below average in light of the amount of money they charge.

The Queen Mary is obviously old and that is part of its appeal. But the two rooms we stayed in need a little TLC. The carpet in one of the rooms felt moist. And the bathroom needs a face lift of sorts.

Reg D -

For someone who doesn't write bad reviews - you sure are good at them. :) We do apologize for the business center - it was in fact down on the 10th and out of service. It is up and running again and we have had no further issues with it.

There is no need for any type of warning - as we relay this information to all of our guests - on our website, in your confirmation email, at check in and check out, on your bill, in the passport - even on this and other website - in fact I am even working on training messenger pigeons to help get the word out.

We charge a facilities fee of $14.95 per night - which entitles guests to:
• Free local and long distance calls
• 50% off of select guided tours and attraction tickets

We thank you for your contribution to the preservation of the World Famous Queen Mary so that your children and your children's children can enjoy this historic ship...she is about to turn 80 this year and you know what - she looks pretty good for 80. Our staff works around the clock to keep the ship - well in ship shape - and feel free to log on to our website and check out our preservation page for some of the many exciting projects we have coming up! I hope that clears up any and all confusion.

We cannot wait to host you again soon...as I am sure you had a five-star experience!
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

GOOD

Yes, it is old and yes it needs some TLC but overall I found the room to be more then a 3 star room and the atmosphere pleasant. The staff was very helpful and I will stay there again.

This is much better then any other tourist hotel in the area

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Chris D -

Thanks for the feedback - and you are absolutely right - she looks pretty good for 80...we all should be so lucky. If you get a chance - head over to our website and take a look at our preservation page for more info on some of the many projects we have in place to restore and preserve the World Famous Queen Mary for your kids and your kids' kids to enjoy.

Mesa, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

The ship is well maintained. They offered many activities for a price. The have a lot of additional added fees that raised the cost by 50%, such as parking, facility fees, and multiple taxes. Do see at least once, nice experience.

Room Tip: No temperature control in rooms.
Doris -

Thanks for the feedback and so glad you had an awesome visit to the World Famous Queen Mary...you do have to pay for parking - like most hotels - and it is expensive to park in So Cal - we charge $17 per night for parking...I once paid 50 - no joke - in San Fran...#justsaying.

This is California - we do have taxes - nothing can be done about that and we have a $14.95 facilities fee, which entitles guests to:
• Free Local and long distance calls
• 50% off of select guided tours and attraction tickets

Definitely not a 50% increase by my math...or just math in general.

Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

My rating is based on the the lack of Help I've gotten trying to retrieve an item left in our Room M161, in the closet after checking out on Sunday June 15, 2014. I realized the item was left accidently and called approx 2 hrs later and the Item has not been found. They will not take accountablity for the loss and said their housekeeping staff turns in all lost items. We were there for a family wedding, which included alot of our family & friends staying there also. I can't believe that they have such dishonest house-keeping staff so BEWARE!

Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
LoveCruizn -

Thank you so much for the feedback and we are bummed that you lost something aboard the ship. We will certainly work hard to help you find it...I don't think its fair to start throwing accusations around, however. Our team works around the clock to keep the ship in ship shape and we trust our employees. But thank you for bringing this to my attention and I will make sure this gets the attention it deserves. We hate seeing five-star experiences turn into 1-star.

4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

First and foremost…We have been coming to the Queen Mary hotel for years. It's the favorite hotel for my boys both under age 10. It does not have all of the frivolities of many commercial hotels that can eat up your time and money. It does have this very real sense of history and education that both my boys just love to experience. History, education and fun all wrapped up into a weekend stay!

We have seen many changes over the time that we have spent on this ship. The best change on this trip was our Front Desk person, Brent. Brent helped us with a check in issue ( My Fault) and saw that on this trip I was traveling alone with three small kids since my boys brought a friend with them. Brent took the time to 'check in 'each one of the boys with their own passports, keys and ghostly ship stories! This really helped me by setting the tone for the ghost hunting that we would do on our own later that night. Brent was charming, patient, informed, well mannered and obviously in charge! Don't lose him, he is a huge asset!

Now let's talk about the ship itself. She's 80 years old and as with many 80 year olds, she is starting to show her age. It's my hope that the City of Long Beach and the current company running the hotel can work together to increase the efforts at preserving this ship. There are several points that my kids and I look at regularly to judge the overall maintenance and deterioration of the ship. This trip saw vast changes in those areas, which made one of my boys ask if the ship will still be around when he brings his kids? I can't answer that question.

So in the end, this family will continue to visit the Queen Mary now and into the future. If your kids are video gamers or even a little anti-social, they will be entirely unhappy here. But if your kids are engrossed in their communities, love talking, asking questions and the history that brought them here…you may have trouble getting them to go home!

Enjoy!

Room Tip: The outdoor public areas were in need of real observation from the housekeeping staff. During this...
Scott S -
Wow - visit No. 14 in the last five years - you must really, really love this place!

We are so thrilled you had such a wonderful experience aboard the World Famous Queen Mary. We will certainly hold on to Brent - and I think because of this review - we will give him a Starbucks card...wait - you are not related to him or anything right??? :)

We cannot wait to host you again for No. 15 soon!
Richmond, Virginia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2014

I had a great time and accommodations were good I hope you continue to work with and support the Ink and iron festival for many years to come my only wish is that you guys would be more open about cost.Seem to be alot of hidden cost That I wasn't made aware of till I stepping on boat

• Stayed June 2014
1973Ton -

Thank you so much for the feedback and we are so thrilled that you had such a wonderful experience at the World Famous Queen Mary. We love and support the annual Ink-N-Iron festival each year - for those of you not in the know - its a tattoo, hot rod and musical festival that we host annually.

No hidden cost here sir - you pay taxes - this is So Cal, right? - you pay for parking and then you pay a facilities fee of $14.95, which entitles guests to:
• Free local and long distance calls
• 50% off of select guided tours and attraction tickets
• A portion of the facilities fee will be used for the restoration and preservation of the Queen Mary. Log on to our website for more information on the many of our preservation projects...

-The Queen Mary Commodore

Been to The Queen Mary? Share your experiences!