“Great Historical Experience!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Yucca Valley, California
“Great Historical Experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I stayed on board for our 33rd anniversary for two nights and I was concerned about our stay after reading all the negative reviews, but I am happy to report our experience was top notch. Every employee was curtious,helpful and informative. From our bellhop Christoper, cocktail waitress Lydia, valets, waiters, tour guides they were all awsome. As for the noise factor, maybe because we were in the back of the ship on B deck the only noise we heard was the birds on the water.

There were many events on the ship so it wasn't deserted, there were weddings, the art deco society, which made it more eventfull since they were all dressed from the 30's, 40's and 50's.

We ate at two resturants on board, Chelsea's Chowder House and the Cafe both were very good. All of the waiters went out of their way to make our experience first class.

Our room was large with a king bed, no leaking fixtures, very clean with two portholes over looking the harbor, by the way they were easy to open. There is a great channel on the TV that goes through the history of the Queen Mary and Queen Elizabeth which is must see.

We went on the paranormal spirit walk at 11pm, big hint bring a bottle of water, I was dying of thirst by the end of the tour. Very interesting had great response with the devining rods. I think I captured a ghost on camera.

Its sad to read the reviews tearing down the experience of staying on the QM, but what you have to remember is you are staying in a historical hotel, you come for the history and the experience, some historical hotels do not even have tv or air conditioning. If you are looking for a five star experience then you should book a five star hotel. As for the air conditioning we called and had them turn it on and in 10 minutes it was running, not to much of an effort. After spending our weekend on the QM my husband and I decided we would make our future anniversary stays at haunted historical hotels. LOVED IT!!!!!!!

Room Tip: Stay in the back of the ship away from the event rooms
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, September 3, 2013
twofatpups -

Thank you so much for your feedback and we are so glad you enjoyed your stay aboard our wonderful ship...I think the anniversary idea is a great one!

We cannot wait to see you aboard the ship again soon!

-The Queen Mary Commodore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (893)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Saint James, New York, Usa
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

No rooms available when checked in, no cell phone call came when room ready -as promised. Air conditioning dismal in restaurant & room. So bad, I had to have my port hole & door propped open to get hallway a/c. Told by front desk & engineer that this is normal state of room when staying on port side of ship during summer. Paid top dollar to stay here due to an event going on that I was not a part of. Tours close down at 6pm (really the ghost tour ended at 6:00??? How dumb). Self parking was $17, but no spaced so had to park in an overflow lot with shipping containers and families of raccoons. I only positive I can stay about this stay is that our room had two King beds, which is very unusual, but could not enjoy them with a room temp of 80+ degrees.

Room Tip: Don't stay here, but if you must, avoid port side in August!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Mary O -

Thank you for the feedback and we are so disappointed you were not 100 percent satisfied with your stay aboard our ship.

We do charge $17 for parking, which is pretty comparable in the area for overnight parking. We offer many Tours and Attraction at night, up until midnight...sorry you missed out on those, would have been a hoot!

So Cal has been hit with a bit of a heat wave and this past weekend it was especially bad. We do apologize for the inconvenience as we are trying to cool the rooms with our A/C blasted and the ocean breeze from the harbor. We do apologize for any inconvenience the heat caused you and your party.

We do hope to host you aboard our wonderful ship again soon!
Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

My husband and I decided to stay at the Queen Mary Hotel as part of our honeymoon experience. The service was amazing to say the least, and we were treated as guests should be treated. It was fun and the lady at the service desk gave us a room with an amazing view of the harbor.

The two haunted tours that we did were very interesting, so long as you're interested in something like this to begin with (I wouldn't recommend it for children under the age of 7 or 8).

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Bre M -

Thank you for the feedback and for the FIVE STARS. Congrats on the wedding - what a great idea to spend your honeymoon aboard our ship!

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay...maybe a return visit for your anniversary?

We can't wait to host you again soon!
Yorkshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2013

Great hotel in wonderful historic surroundings. Great experience - lots of people dressed up in period costume; looked great! Great to sit on the deck in the evening looking out to the sea and Long Beach coastline. Only negative is that noise does carry in the old state rooms, but I suppose that can't be helped with it being so old and not designed for the modern era. Despite that we had a good night's sleep. No spooky goings on either! Apart from the clock radio/alarm going off at midnight! Think that was the previous resident's idea of a joke rather than paranormal activity!!! Ate at Winstons restaurant - bit pricey but a nice experience.

• Stayed September 2013
MrsMush -

Thank you so much for your feedback....Sir Winston's is a blast! and good food too!

This weekend was our Art Deco, hence all of the guests in period costume...very cool.

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and cannot wait to host you again soon!
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2013

My friend and I were looking for something a bit different and we found it in the Queen Mary Hotel. We had fun shopping in the hotel during the day, hanging out in the lounge in the evening, and then we took the ghost tour at midnight. Sad and interesting stories abound on a great ship with such a long history as a luxury liner and a hospital ship during WW2. The rooms were comfortable but don't expect the usual hotel room. My friend and I felt like time travelers!

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Donna D -

So glad you enjoyed your stay. Sounds like a great experience and good job taking advantage of our great tours at night! That is when the ghosts come out to play!

Thanks for your feedback and we cannot wait to host you again soon!
Albuquerque, New Mexico
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013 via mobile

Maybe we built this stay up too much in our heads. We have visited the QM a few times but never actually stayed on the ship. This last trip to SoCal we made sure to plan an overnight stay on the QM. Originally I would have planned more than 1 night but the room rates were higher than I would have preferred so I decided on 1 night at the end of our trip- good thinking.

Maybe I should have taken a red flag to a customer service call I made when making my reservation. The lady I spoke with, when calling to find out about parking fees, was incredibly rude and more or less acted like I was bothering her by even calling in the first place.

Ok, yes the parking fee is expensive. That really wasn't my issue. I'm wondering how healthy the ventilation of the ship is in general. I understand it is old and has its smells but in some parts of the ship I wonder how safe the air quality is. Perhaps you have to experience this yourself to know what I'm talking about.

The actual killer of the stay was the room. We stayed in a delux king which was absolutely nothing like the renovated picture on the website. Maybe they should take some of the money they invested in the website and invest it in the staterooms. The noise from the hallway is outrageous. Regardless of what the ship was built for, the walls are paper thin and you can hear EVERYTHING. Best be a sound sleeper. It also isnt just hallway noise, the noise outside the portholes is just as bad. The hotel was gearing up for an event that coming weekend and apparently felt the need to work through the entire night. I can also assume that the very busy LB docks were contributing to the noise as well. I probably could have handled all of that and just dealt with it, but when my room is hotter than it is outside we have a real issue. The temp that day was over 90, no fans in the room, but why I should have to call the front desk at midnight after trying to tollerate the heat and sleep through it I will never understand. If you check a guest into a room, make sure to have the engineer immediately turn the air on (you can't control the air, an engineer has to do it for you since it is "centrally located"). Granted, the front desk was very nice, I shouldn't have ever had to figure out how to sleep in a guaranteed 80+ degree room. I essentially had to take a cold shower, sleep with a wet washcloth on my torso, and zen myself into "sleep". Not very good for a long drive home the next day.

All in all, I'm really disappointed with my stay. It's not at all what we expected it to be like. I'm sure we will come back to the ship and explore, but I won't spend this much to stay in a hotel with this many issues/concerns.

• Stayed August 2013
Shannon M -

Thank you for your feedback and we are so sorry that you were not 100 percent satisfied with your stay aboard our beautiful ship.

It was a pretty hot weekend in So Cal. We do apologize that your room was not the temperature you were hoping it would be. The rooms tend to cool down both by the A/C and the cool ocean breeze through the portholes. In regard to noise - we do have complementary ear plugs available at the front desk for any guest that is having trouble sleeping. No two rooms are alike aboard this ship - and some are newly renovated, while some have that classic feel.

We are disappointed that you were not 100 percent satisfied with your stay. We do hope to see you aboard the ship again soon!
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2013

We had the Duke of Edinburgh M114 full suite that my kids called the room of door mazes. Plenty of space for certain though my 12 year old step-son was too afraid to sleep alone on the sofa pull-out due to haunting rumors :) In general I saw some areas in disrepair in terms of tiles and wallpaper but its old so whatever. Also one of our toilets flushed less efficiently than the other, which we quickly adjusted to. We thought the salt water taps were neat but with just one night there we didn't use them. We ate a decent/expensive buffet breakfast and planned to do the self tour, but left our brochure in the room, and were subjected to some curious, almost hostile questioning when we asked for self tour info, which we finally received after telling them we were overnight guests. No free continental breakfast, a $9.95 charge for Wi-Fi and limited close dining options. May be close to water ferry to more options.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
plmok -

Thank you so much for your feedback and we are glad you enjoyed your stay. So cute the story about your step-son...Like many hotels, we charge a facilities fee of $9.95, which gets our guests:
1. Self guided tour
2. Wi-Fi Internet
3. Local calls
4. Domestic long distance calls up to 30 minutes
5. Use of fitness center

In addition to our six dining options aboard the Queen Mary, just on the other side of the harbor is numerous restaurants and bars...you can get there via boat for just a few bucks on the water taxi, or via car, as it is just over the bridge and less than two miles away.

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay and cannot wait to host you again soon!
-The Queen Mary Commodore

Been to The Queen Mary? Share your experiences!