“Time Travel” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 57 hotels in Long Beach
New Berlin, Wisconsin
“Time Travel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2013

Since I love history, my husband suggested we stay on the Queen Mary during our visit to the LA area the last week of June. The ship is quite impressive as you pull up to it. You are greeted by very professional staff members who make you feel very welcome. The ship is impressive in all of the wood used. The halls (which seem endless!) are lined in varnished wood paneling; the shopping arcade is attractive; one of the walking decks has been turned into a very nice restaurant and there are other restaurants and a cafe on board. Our outside state room was impressive in it's size. The bathroom looked very "dated", but it was fun to immerse yourself in how it would have been for the well-to-do on board in the mid-1930's. We did not take a walking tour, but did wander the entire ship to see all of the areas that have been left untouched such as the captain's quarters, the bridge and the sick bay. The cost of staying on the ship is comparable to nice hotels and well worth it for the novelty.

Room Tip: We would recommend taking any room with portholes, be it ocean or port views. It's a nice touch...
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, July 19, 2013
Sue60133 -

We are so glad you enjoyed your stay aboard the ship and do hope to see you again soon!

2,059 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (657)
  • Polish first
Seattle, Washington, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

My 7 year old son is into all things Titanic so when I told him about the Queen Mary he was fascinated. So a summer mini field trip was planned with said 7 year old and his 4 year old brother. We arrived around noon to explore the ship and get settled in. I chose to stay in a full suite. The room took us all back in time. The woodwork and period details were wonderful. We had a sitting room, two bathrooms and a mini kitchenette. Everyone we encountered on our adventure was so helpful and friendly - from the front desk staff, to house keeping, to our waiter at the Promenade Cafe, to our room service waiter. I was a bit nervous about noise because of some of the reviews but we had no issues whatsoever. The boys were thoroughly entertained by wandering the ship on the self-guided tour and just roaming the vast hallways. When it was time to leave they didn't want to so it was decided that we'd return next time we were in the area. I would highly recommend this experience to all.

Room Tip: We brought a fan as I am always hot and it provided nice white noise.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Kelly J -

So glad you enjoyed your stay aboard the ship! Since your son was so curious, here is a comparison of Titanic vs. Queen Mary:

That's the tale of the tape...who you got?
Arlington, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2013

I stayed here with my 13 year old daughter -- and we had a blast. It was so cool to see the rooms, the place was stunning. I must admit that we had connection as my father and aunt came over on the queen mary in 1938, one step ahead of the nazi's -- so it was a big deal to see it after hearing stories for so many years. We loved all the exhibits in the hallways and all the cool details.

I will say our room, which was a very inexpensive inside cabin, was noisy at night -- it sounded like it was under a dance floor. But the service staff was great, the beds extremely comfy and the appointments in the room just too cool for words! Salt water taps! really funky cooling/heating system (that worked really well!)

I did not care for the fact that they charged your cc for $75 of amenities that they would "credit back" if you didn't use them and the fact that parking cost $17. But other than that, we really had a nice time.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with family
Hildie B -

Glad you enjoyed your stay aboard the ship. And you are right - its like a movie - maybe The Great Gatsby?

We do hope to see you aboard the ship again soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We are a young couple and the thought of staying on an old hotel is not my idea of fun! However we booked the romance package and loved every minute of it

The oldness was very cool, drinking in the observation bar and eating in the old restaurants was very very worth it.

Walking around the decks was like a step back in time

I would say go go go to this ship it is a totally different experience

• Stayed July 2013
Crazyfoodlover -

So glad that you and your significant other had a great time aboard the ship. Best advice for the young couples -take advantage of our Romance Package!

We hope to see you aboard the ship again soon!
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I would like to say that not all the disasters of our day were the fault of The Queen Mary Hotel. However, they completely failed to provide the kind of service that is expected of the hospitality industry. I have worked in hotels for many years and I have never even heard of such disregard for hotel guests.

My Grandmother came in from Arizona for the 4th of July with a tour group that stayed on the Queen Mary. Since the ship was also selling tickets for the fireworks show, she payed $40 a piece so we could join her. We got there in the early afternoon and all the deck, shops, and restaurants/bars were already crowded with tons of people. This isn't terribly unexpected for a holiday, but we were very disappointed there were not better accomodations for hotel guests. For anyone paying so much money to actually stay on the ship, they should have had a separate area they could go to enjoy the day without so much hassle. After walking around for almost an hour just looking for a place to sit my grandma broke down in to tears and started apologizing to us for inviting us all to The Queen Mary for what had turned out to be a miserable occasion. My Mother and I went to the front desk for some assistance- recommendations, directions...anything- and we were told that there was seating available on all the decks, we just needed to find them.

We heard about a free shuttle to and from Pike's Pier where there is a lot more room and since all my Grandma wanted to do was "get off the d*** ship" we all agreed to go. Thankfully, we got dinner to-go from one of the restaurants and found a place for our family to sit on the sidewalk just in time to see the fireworks. After the show we went to the same bus stop and after waiting for over an hour for a bus that was suppose to come every 20 minutes, I called the transit number and a recording told me there were no more buses for the evening. After such a long day and with small children, this is really the last thing we wanted to deal with at 10:30pm. Then I made the mistake of calling the hotel. I explained that my grandma was a guest and needed to get back to the hotel. The (very nice) operator suggested taking a taxi and transferred me to the belldesk to arrange one. The man that at the belldesk (he never said his name) said I had to just flag one down where we were. When I told him we hadn't seen any, he said he couldn't help me, rambled off the phone number for a cab company and then hung up.

In the end, my dad and uncle had to walk back to the hotel. The walk only took about 20 minutes (which was 20 minutes more than my Grandma could do) but then spent over an hour trying to get out of the parking lot. Apparently that is where all the buses were stuck too.

Overall we were very, very disappointed. DO NOT stay at this hotel during the busy season or for any type of holiday event. They are just not equipped to handle such occasions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Michelle A -

Thank you for your feedback, we do greatly appreciate it. Our Fourth of July event is a popular one and as such was sold out - hence the crowd. We do apologize that you did not enjoy your experience aboard the ship. We strive to please each and everyone of our guests and are extremely disappointed when someone is not 100% satisfied with their experience aboard the ship.

And though you mentioned it at the beginning of your review - it does bare repeating - since The Queen Mary is not responsible for the public transportation in the Long Beach area that sounded like it was a big part of the issue you had that evening.

We do hope to see you aboard the ship again soon!

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Third visit for my husband and me...this time we took our 14 yr old son. He really enjoyed exploring the ship! If you are expecting a luxury hotel, this is not for you. The ship has been kept largely in its original state, with dark woods and old fixtures that allow guests to imagine what it was like to sail on it in its heyday. My family are all history lovers and highly recommend at least a one night stay on board. The beds are not super comfortable, but adequate. We stayed in a room with 2 queens on B deck, which had one porthole, but closet space and a shower with a rain shower head and very precise temp controls. We have taken the self guided tour several times and this time purchased the Ghosts and Legends Show, which gives access to the swimming pool and the MASSIVE space the boilers once occupied in the bowels of the ship...incredible! Area around the ship has def declined. English Village shops once had retail and restaurants, but appear to be totally unoccupied. Eating on board is super expensive. Our meal at the Chowder House was over $100 and mediocre at best. If you just want the experience of dining on board, try the less expensive Cafe. The o board "Starbucks" had coffee and pastries that were ok...not what you would find at a regular Starbucks. The clerk who made our coffee could def use some customer service training...not friendly at all! Registration was super simple and staff there were very professional and friendly. Give this 4 stars for the unique experience it is...we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

SF –

Sounds like you had a great trip aboard The Queen Mary. Yes, the English Village is closed now and only open during our peak holiday seasons as part of our Dark Harbor Halloween event and our Chill Christmas event. Otherwise, they are not open to the public. The Midship Marketplace you reference does proudly serve Starbucks and is a great place for a quick, cheap and delicious bite!

We hope to see you aboard the ship again soon for your fourth visit and your son’s second!

Andover, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed there 5 days over July 4th for Long Beach convention. Location inconvenient, amenities few, noise between rooms very loud, every cough or laugh comes right thru the walls. Restaurant and bar area dank, dark and expensive. Walk to room can be very, very long, two different elevators required to get to most floor levels. Bath room small, bahtub/shower very small, hard to stand in to take a shower, Tub also very rusty. Yes it is quaint, but if you are use to an even average hotel, this is not the place. I might give it two stars.

Room Tip: Request room close to mid ship to avoid long walks to room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
gary c -

Thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate it. We do not have a pool aboard the ship any longer because it is haunted - you can check it out if you go on our Ghosts and Legends tour. We are just 2.46 miles away from the Long Beach Convention Center - which you were in town for - and the public transportation in the area is ideal if you decide not to drive - with the Passport and the Aqua Bus and Aqua Taxi - you can read about this on our website.

Also check out our numerous amenities we offer our guest and take a look at some of the imagery of our restaurants and bars on our photo galleries page.

We are so disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay aboard the ship and we encourage you to come again!

Thanks again for the feedback!
-The Queen Mary Commodore

Been to The Queen Mary? Share your experiences!