“Once in a lifetime experience” 5 of 5 stars

The Queen Mary
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #12 of 57 hotels in Long Beach
“Once in a lifetime experience”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013 via mobile

We are a young couple and the thought of staying on an old hotel is not my idea of fun! However we booked the romance package and loved every minute of it

The oldness was very cool, drinking in the observation bar and eating in the old restaurants was very very worth it.

Walking around the decks was like a step back in time

I would say go go go to this ship it is a totally different experience

• Stayed July 2013
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, July 12, 2013
Crazyfoodlover -

So glad that you and your significant other had a great time aboard the ship. Best advice for the young couples -take advantage of our Romance Package!

We hope to see you aboard the ship again soon!

2,026 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Polish first
San Diego, California, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2013

I would like to say that not all the disasters of our day were the fault of The Queen Mary Hotel. However, they completely failed to provide the kind of service that is expected of the hospitality industry. I have worked in hotels for many years and I have never even heard of such disregard for hotel guests.

My Grandmother came in from Arizona for the 4th of July with a tour group that stayed on the Queen Mary. Since the ship was also selling tickets for the fireworks show, she payed $40 a piece so we could join her. We got there in the early afternoon and all the deck, shops, and restaurants/bars were already crowded with tons of people. This isn't terribly unexpected for a holiday, but we were very disappointed there were not better accomodations for hotel guests. For anyone paying so much money to actually stay on the ship, they should have had a separate area they could go to enjoy the day without so much hassle. After walking around for almost an hour just looking for a place to sit my grandma broke down in to tears and started apologizing to us for inviting us all to The Queen Mary for what had turned out to be a miserable occasion. My Mother and I went to the front desk for some assistance- recommendations, directions...anything- and we were told that there was seating available on all the decks, we just needed to find them.

We heard about a free shuttle to and from Pike's Pier where there is a lot more room and since all my Grandma wanted to do was "get off the d*** ship" we all agreed to go. Thankfully, we got dinner to-go from one of the restaurants and found a place for our family to sit on the sidewalk just in time to see the fireworks. After the show we went to the same bus stop and after waiting for over an hour for a bus that was suppose to come every 20 minutes, I called the transit number and a recording told me there were no more buses for the evening. After such a long day and with small children, this is really the last thing we wanted to deal with at 10:30pm. Then I made the mistake of calling the hotel. I explained that my grandma was a guest and needed to get back to the hotel. The (very nice) operator suggested taking a taxi and transferred me to the belldesk to arrange one. The man that at the belldesk (he never said his name) said I had to just flag one down where we were. When I told him we hadn't seen any, he said he couldn't help me, rambled off the phone number for a cab company and then hung up.

In the end, my dad and uncle had to walk back to the hotel. The walk only took about 20 minutes (which was 20 minutes more than my Grandma could do) but then spent over an hour trying to get out of the parking lot. Apparently that is where all the buses were stuck too.

Overall we were very, very disappointed. DO NOT stay at this hotel during the busy season or for any type of holiday event. They are just not equipped to handle such occasions.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, July 26, 2013
Michelle A -

Thank you for your feedback, we do greatly appreciate it. Our Fourth of July event is a popular one and as such was sold out - hence the crowd. We do apologize that you did not enjoy your experience aboard the ship. We strive to please each and everyone of our guests and are extremely disappointed when someone is not 100% satisfied with their experience aboard the ship.

And though you mentioned it at the beginning of your review - it does bare repeating - since The Queen Mary is not responsible for the public transportation in the Long Beach area that sounded like it was a big part of the issue you had that evening.

We do hope to see you aboard the ship again soon!

Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2013

Third visit for my husband and me...this time we took our 14 yr old son. He really enjoyed exploring the ship! If you are expecting a luxury hotel, this is not for you. The ship has been kept largely in its original state, with dark woods and old fixtures that allow guests to imagine what it was like to sail on it in its heyday. My family are all history lovers and highly recommend at least a one night stay on board. The beds are not super comfortable, but adequate. We stayed in a room with 2 queens on B deck, which had one porthole, but closet space and a shower with a rain shower head and very precise temp controls. We have taken the self guided tour several times and this time purchased the Ghosts and Legends Show, which gives access to the swimming pool and the MASSIVE space the boilers once occupied in the bowels of the ship...incredible! Area around the ship has def declined. English Village shops once had retail and restaurants, but appear to be totally unoccupied. Eating on board is super expensive. Our meal at the Chowder House was over $100 and mediocre at best. If you just want the experience of dining on board, try the less expensive Cafe. The o board "Starbucks" had coffee and pastries that were ok...not what you would find at a regular Starbucks. The clerk who made our coffee could def use some customer service training...not friendly at all! Registration was super simple and staff there were very professional and friendly. Give this 4 stars for the unique experience it is...we thoroughly enjoyed our stay!

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
SF –

Sounds like you had a great trip aboard The Queen Mary. Yes, the English Village is closed now and only open during our peak holiday seasons as part of our Dark Harbor Halloween event and our Chill Christmas event. Otherwise, they are not open to the public. The Midship Marketplace you reference does proudly serve Starbucks and is a great place for a quick, cheap and delicious bite!

We hope to see you aboard the ship again soon for your fourth visit and your son’s second!

Andover, Massachusetts
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

My wife and I stayed there 5 days over July 4th for Long Beach convention. Location inconvenient, amenities few, noise between rooms very loud, every cough or laugh comes right thru the walls. Restaurant and bar area dank, dark and expensive. Walk to room can be very, very long, two different elevators required to get to most floor levels. Bath room small, bahtub/shower very small, hard to stand in to take a shower, Tub also very rusty. Yes it is quaint, but if you are use to an even average hotel, this is not the place. I might give it two stars.

Room Tip: Request room close to mid ship to avoid long walks to room
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
gary c -

Thank you for your feedback, we do appreciate it. We do not have a pool aboard the ship any longer because it is haunted - you can check it out if you go on our Ghosts and Legends tour. We are just 2.46 miles away from the Long Beach Convention Center - which you were in town for - and the public transportation in the area is ideal if you decide not to drive - with the Passport and the Aqua Bus and Aqua Taxi - you can read about this on our website.

Also check out our numerous amenities we offer our guest and take a look at some of the imagery of our restaurants and bars on our photo galleries page.

We are so disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay aboard the ship and we encourage you to come again!

Thanks again for the feedback!
Torrance, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013 via mobile

First off, I have to say the fireworks were beautiful. I was slightly disappointed that they were not choreographed somehow to a soundtrack. My very favorite fireworks shows that I have been to over the years have always been themed and with American music and choreographed to the fireworks going up in the sky. The ship was pretty crowded and a little hard to get around on but not overly so. The drinks were expensive and I only had a couple, and I would never choose again to eat on the ship. The restaurants were completely booked and impossible to get into but, all around the decks of the ship they had buffet style burgers and hotdogs and the sort. It took 45 minutes to get 2 burgers and a cup of chili for $35. If I were to do this again I would definitely eat before I got on the ship. Now here's the kicker... I knew that getting off the ship would be quite a task as there were so many people and there's really only a couple of places to leave the ship. The elevators are tiny and the stairways are very small as well so if you can imagine a bottleneck of people all moving in the same time direction with the same goal of reaching land. So we made it to our car, and eventually were able to get out of our parking spot and start moving with the droves of people leaving the port, and as we passed the intersection where we would turn to connect to the 110 it was blocked. Ok, so we press on and I are directed on to the 710. No problem. We will connect to the 110 or take the exit to downtown Long Beach or we can flip around to go home. No.... Everyone has been now pushed on to the 710, and not just from the Queen Mary but it seems from every event in Long Beach. every single exit off of the 710 that we passed until Anaheim Street was completely blocked and it took us an hour and a half to get there.it almost seems as though Long Beach was kicking everybody out, there was no way to turn anywhere and all we could see for miles ahead of us were red lights. Mind you I live in Torrance so I am truly only about 25 to 30 minutes away, and it took me nearly two hours to get home. The only thing that I could suggest is that Long Beach take a better look how to move people out of their city through more than one freeway.If I am to do the Queen Mary again I will absolutely eat before I get on the ship, and maybe even book a hotel on the ship. Even if I had booked a hotel near the Queen Mary it would have taken me forever to get there and with all the exits blocked I'm not even sure how I would have done that...

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
WendyMomofThree –

Sounds like you enjoyed the All-American Fourth of July aboard our ship. We appreciate your feedback and will look into ways of making more food outlets available aboard the ship during our annual Fourth of July event. And we do recommend staying aboard the ship for the event – but you have to book fast, we sell out quickly!

In regard to your tough drive home – wow! Two hours to Torrance…might as well have driven to Vegas! Obviously we do not control what the City of Long Beach does to its freeways, but in the future, we can look into ways of working with the city to post traffic advisories on our website to help keep our guests informed of any closures.

We hope to see you aboard the ship again soon…especially at next year’s Fourth of July event – which will be even bigger and better!

Ridgecrest, California, Usa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We paid $161 for the Delux King Stateroom. Compared to the prices of other hotels in Long Beach this was a GREAT value. The room was spacious, clean, comfortable and had great historical atmosphere. However, there are always extra charges in every hotel that puts the price up - you do have to pay for parking and an amenities fee. Even so, this was STILL a great value.
The ship is delightful. The freedom to explore the ship and take the self guided worked well for us as we could walk around at our own leisure. We came across wonderful live music each time we walked by the Observation Lounge. From the Engine Room to the Bridge we found interesting things to look at.
We only ate breakfast aboard once but it was filling and tasty. The rest of the time we took the FREE shuttle bus to Long Beach and enjoyed the beautiful waterfront. We also spend $1 each way for the water taxi. If you're paying for parking at the ship why pay for it in Long Beach? Take the bus or boat and walk the streets. Long Beach itself has a great choice of places to eat, lots of music and enjoyable walkways.
We for sure would do this again.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Lynnshire –

Glad you Loved your stay aboard our ship…and Trip Advisor folks – Lynnshire’s tip on the free shuttle bus and the water taxi is golden…a good way to get around Long Beach – though the water taxi is only available during the summer.

We hope to see you aboard the ship again soon!

Santa Ana, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2013

We were looking forward to an evening away on the Queen Mary Hotel and were disappointed in the lack of attention to detail in the maintenance of the facility. The room was fine - but the rest of the ship was sorely lacking in attention to detail - pealing and chipping paint, dirty tables and floors, massive stains in the carpets.... it was nothing short of disgusting, so much so, we couldn’t bring ourselves to eat at any of the eateries on the ship for fear that the kitchens were maintained in the same lack-luster manner as the rest of the ship. The staff was friendly and helpful, but that didn’t make-up for the other disappointments.

Room Tip: Rooms on the Harbor Side are prefered and you can ask for a "haunted" room if that is some...
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
lmcbee –

Thank you for your feedback and we are so sorry that you are disappointed in your stay. Our kitchens are impeccable and some of our restaurants are award winning – Sir Winston’s for instance. In regard to the condition of the 80-year old ship – we and the City of Long Beach have a preservation plan in place to keep up with the maintenance of the ship. You can view that on our Website here: https://www.queenmary.com/preservation.php

We do hope to see you aboard the ship again soon and give one of our delicious restaurants a try!

-The Queen Mary Commodore

Been to The Queen Mary? Share your experiences!