“A bit of history and comfort.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
CHILL Hotel Package
Ranked #9 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Meridian, ID
“A bit of history and comfort.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed in a King Room overlooking Long Beach marina. Two BIG portholes that opened to the water were wonderful for the air. The bed was very comfortable with great linens. The room itself was surprisingly big. A lot bigger than the cruise ship cabins on modern ships. The bathroom was huge with the original bathtub and faucets that let in salt water if you desired at the time. The flushing mechanism on the toilet also was original...a kind of hand pump. Loved the way so much of the original ship features are still there. Fans, vents, closets made of burled wood, etc. We took the Haunted tour before dinner and for $10 it was very informative. Got to see a lot of places on the ship you can't explore on your own. We would definitely stay again.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
QM1938, Guest Relations Manager at The Queen Mary, responded to this review, May 31, 2013
Monchen –

The portholes are one of our guest’s favorite feature of the ship…and why not? Looking at the world through an Oval will blow your mind!

We can’t wait for you to stay aboard the ship again soon!

-Queen Mary Commodore

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (968)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 7, 2013

We stayed two nights on board the Queen Mary. It was a great experience and we loved the ambience, the history and the atmosphere. But if you are looking for a contemporary five-star experience you may be disappointed. Don't stay at a heritage site property unless you are prepared for some of the heritage to be well worn.

Our deluxe cabin, king bed, harbour view was all of those things, but the room would be considered small by ordinary hotel standards, and not especially well laid out, with a long entry corridor opening into a small-ish room which was mainly taken up with the king bed. There was only one small chair, and the dressing table, etc. were down the narrow side entryway into the room.

The fittings are period, and therefore not all in the best of condition and the enamel was peeling from the bottom of the bathtub. The toilet drip-drip-drip-ed the two days we were there, but closing the bathroom door meant you didn't hear it.

Having said all that, the ship itself is the experience and it was fantastic. The long corridors, the decks, the art-deco dining areas, the tours which give you some of the history and the stories about the ship in both peace time and during the war -- it is all wonderful.

Also, something about being a guest on a ship like this prompts more interaction amongst guests. We found ourselves chatting with people in the shops, the food and beverage facilities, even in the lift (elevator).

We also went to the Sunday champagne brunch and I think the best way to "do" the Queen Mary would be to book for the Sunday brunch, combined with a one night stay on the ship. It would be a very special package and a very memorable one. Probably there are better options in you are looking for several nights in Los Angeles or Long Beach. But the Queen Mary is definitely something different and something special.

Our negative...some of the staff are excellent, others are average and some were downright unpleasant. A relative left an important phone message for us. Not only didn't we receive it, but the unhelpful staff member on reception was both unapologetic and also implied no such message had been left. This was disappointing after we had such a warm welcome both at the brunch and by a receptionist who handled the initial check-in.

Room Tip: Harbour view rooms are nice and I can't imagine staying in a room any smaller than the deluxe ki...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
BinduAustralia –

So glad you enjoyed your stay aboard the Queen Mary and our Sunday Champagne Brunch! We do have a bed and breakfast package that is one of our most popular sellers...

As far as your customer service incident – we will review this incident as we continue to strive to make our guest’s experience a great one.

Thanks for bringing this to our attention.
-Queen Mary Commodore
Salem, Virginia
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were so disappointed with our stay on Queen Mary on April 13 prior to our Hawaii cruise. After a long flight from the east coast we arrived at Queen Mary anticipating a relaxing night on a beautiful old ship. It was not to be. When we tried to check in we were told the room we had booked 8 months prior was not available. We were offered a twin room not the deluxe king we had reserved. After much discussion a deluxe king magically appeared on Deck 2. When we reached the room everything looked great until I used the bathroom. Ants everywhere--tub-sink and floors.While not perfect we realized this was an old ship and ants go to water source hence bathroom. We were horribly wrong--ants liked the bed also. Ants everywhere on comforter-sheets -on the pillow under pillow-walls. After another trip to front desk we were offerred another room on Deck 2, of course more ants in bathroom. By this time it was late we were exhausted and found no ants on bed so to sleep we went . I tossed on night dreaming of ants. When we awoke the next AM there were ants under pillow and on the bed.
We recieved no compensation for our added guests.
Queen Mary is a lovely old ship but stay at another hotel and visit her but do not sleep in her beds.

Room Tip: If you stay here do not stay on Deck 2. Apparently the ants claim this deck as their home.
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Pat z –

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We have quickly rectified the situation and hope you give the Queen Mary another try!

- Queen Mary Commodore
Pasadena, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 5, 2013

I went with my parents to stay the weekend at the Queen Mary and we had booked a family suite. The historical items and layout was pretty cool, but the rooms were pretty dark and not as clean as it could have been.

Noise level was really bad, but I know they really can't do a whole renovation with sound-proofing due to the historical preservation of the ship. I suppose the timing of our stay was bad too; prom night AND some dance conference. We were staying on A deck, and I guess that's where social functions are usually booked. Either way, I did not get any sleep at all the entire night. First was the prom dj and kids running around, then a fire alarm at 12:30 am where everyone had to go outside (apparently, the false fire alarms happen a lot, I hear), then at 3:45 am, the dance conference people were stomping down the halls talking and yelling at the top of their voices. My part of the stateroom was right up against the hall, so I could hear EVERYTHING, while my parents were further back against the portholes, and the noise was slightly less, but you could still hear it. I got so frustrated by the time the dance people were running around, that I had to call the front desk to ask them to do something. I was assured (very quickly) that security was on their way, and true enough, the noise went away less than 15 minutes later. They must have got a lot of complaints about those people.

I guess staying aboard the ship would be REALLY great if it wasn't such a big place for nighttime social gatherings. Nice thought, but not for me. Sunday brunch was delicious and the Diana/Windsor family exhibit was fun.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
mesdam_luna- -

Apologies for the noise – as a Hotel, Attractions and Event center – we have quite a few activities going on board the ship through out the evenings – especially on the weekend. And yes, we do host proms – what better location than the Queen Mary for Prom Night? We are glad that security was able to take care of your issue and that for the most part you had a great time aboard the ship including Sunday Brunch and the Diana: Legacy of a Princess exhibit.

We greatly look forward to you staying aboard the ship again soon.

- Queen Mary Commodore
Sheffield, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

we were quite excited to be staying on the queen mary. Unfortunately it did not live up to our expectations. The whole hotel part was very tired. Sticky carpets was our main gripe but the room we had was very tired and a bit grubby. The bath did not have a plug the shower did not work well at all. The staff were friendly but not necessarily helpful. The attraction of ghosts did not do a lot for us although the exhibits was very interesting. Would i go back again....probably not and i would not reccomend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Las Vegas, Nevada
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 30, 2013

I was traveling to Long Beach for a convention and my colleague wanted to stay on the Queen Mary. It seemed like a fun thing to do, but in hindsight I wish I had stayed at a more traditional hotel. First of all, it is a very neat, historical structure to visit, but the hotel is another story.

We were booked into "standard" rooms which are interior rooms with no windows (think cheap rooms on a cruise ship). The room was very basic and the temperature was very difficult to control. Forget any semblance of life as there are NO windows in the interior rooms. The front desk staff were very happy to sell upgrades to exterior facing rooms and after staying in "steerage", I wish I'd upgraded. The front desk staff were not the warmest I've encountered. There was an accounting error with our rooms that were supposed to be direct billed, and we the staff did not handle it well.

Otherwise, the property was o - k. We had lunch in the tea room, which was interrupted by a fire alarm which evacuated the entire ship. (Apparently this happens quite often...even happened while American Idol was filming auditions there.)

Not impressed.

Room Tip: Pay more to stay in an exterior facing room. The interior rooms are like being in prison.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Umatilla, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 29, 2013

I was so excited I was going to stay on the Queen Mary! It wasn't where I had intended to stay (wanted to be closer to convention center) but I "forced" myself to shell out a little extra to stay here! I only rated it a four because she's old and it shows in places and the steel hull transfers sound remarkably well without any engine noise to muffle it. Neither of these would keep me from staying there again however! I just don't want to raise expectations that everything looks new and crisp; but she is a beautiful retro hotel! There were a few issues (first elevator ride raised my eyebrows) and my first room had me in tears at one point but it was awesome to be in such a 1930's environment with such history and so much to see and explore!
I came in late (or was that very early) the first night. My room had a bed and a trashcan.... it was bare! It was also very oddly shaped. I had a long narrow "hall" where I could peer out the porthole. I was tired after a 4+ hour flight and the shuttle ride from LAX so I just crashed and decided to deal with it the next morning. I don't think this room should have been in service yet and perhaps there just was no room left (but I had paid in advance!).
When I went to shower the next morning, I didn't have much water coming out of the shower nozzle, the tub was big and deep with a very concave bottom that I had difficulty standing in it. I got through the shower experience with a combination of shower water and tears. I kept discovering things the room didn[t have like a plug for the sink, etc. I wrote a page of what was wrong with my room and wasn't I paying for a room that should have these things??? and went to the front desk to deliver it. The end result was I was moved later that day to a room that had furniture. It was a nice room with two portholes! No issues from that point on really.
The staff was great; helpful, respectful and polished. I only ate at the Promenade Grill but not any of the other restuarants. The breakfast buffet was good and fresh and included the beverage - it was $14 each. I had supper there one night also and I had the roasted asparagus for an appetizer. It was a very good choice!
The free city bus shuttle stop is just across the parking lot and it runs about every 20 minutes. I flew into LAX, took the Super Shuttle (internet reservation) to the Queen Mary and then used the city shuttle entire time I was in Long Beach and the Super Shuttle brought me back to LAX when I was heading home. It was great to sit back and let someone else do the driving!
I loved the early morning and late evening on the sun deck! I took lots of pictures! I took in the Royal Family exihibit that is on the ship - it had more to see than I expected! I enjoyed checking out the variety of on board shops also.
I would like to go stay here again when I wasn't so busy during the day so I could enjoy more of what the Queen Mary had to offer and the rest of the Long Beach area! I give it a thumbs up!

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Queen Mary? Share your experiences!