“Historically interesting....” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #12 of 58 hotels in Long Beach
Las Vegas, Nevada
“Historically interesting....”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

We were not quite sure what to expect as we were planning our overnight visit to the Queen Mary. We know that there are many other hotels we could have stayed at, but the history of the Queen Mary intrigued us.

We arrived at check in time, and there was only one other person in front of us and they had three people working the desk. We were checked in and given a map of the ship. Let me just say that this is a beautiful ship and before you book you need to realize that it is a ship, a piece of history - virtually untouched. We went to our stateroom. I was blown away by all the beautiful wood work and the super comfortable bed. The bathroom is quite unique. I read the hand out given to us about the room. I opened our two port hole windows and let the cool ocean air in.

As we were dressing for an onboard party that we were attending we kept looking out our holes and watched as the fog rolled in. So beautiful. We walked to the restaurant where the event was and it was so foggy. Eerie as we could hear others talking, but you could not see them. We had a great time at the party and went back to our room. I would give a review on the restaurant...I just want to say that the food was great and the person who arranged it did a wonderful job. They really picked a unique experience. The restaurant has some issues with timing and serving, but it did not put a damper on our evening.

So back to the room. Though the bed was comfortable, we could not keep the room cool enough. So we had to open our port holes. It was strange since there were no screens on the windows. (Of course there wouldn't be). My husband decided to hop on to the internet which was an extra charge. The room was extremely noisy. I could hear everyone in the hall and the person hacking in the room next to us. Poor thing coughed all night...I mean all night. I didn't get any sleep. Somewhere in the middle of the night we heard several loud bangs. Maybe people opening or closing their port holes. Just not sure.

In the morning I showered. The bathtub is very interesting as it was sloped and narrowed sides. The water pressure was strong and I had plenty of hot water to get me up and going. Did I mention that the room was really clean. We ordered room service and we would do that again. Breakfast was great. Nice and hot.

After breakfast we packed up, but decided since we had some time before check out we would walk around the ship. We soon realized there was a self guided tour and finished the last bit of that. We went into one of the gift shops and picked up a book on the history of the ship. We checked out just before 11am and headed home.

Bring earplugs and a fan. Don't bother getting the Wifi and remember this is a piece of history, NOT a luxury hotel. If you are expecting great luxury stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Ask for a bay view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

2,461 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (814)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Newhall, California, Usa
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2013

This was such a fun trip. The STAFF of the Queen Mary are the BEST from the moment you board! They are Helpful & FRIENDLY the friendliest I have ever encountered. Even those passing you in the hall greet you. The rooms are TRUE to the PERIOD built. However there is no sound barer you can hear everything in the next room including the snoring and whispering! I believe the way the rooms are situated maybe the headboards should not have been placed on the same side of the drawers and TV of the next room. The rooms were spotless; the Mattress was extremely comfortable as were the pillows and comforter this helped in falling asleep. The only pitfalls were, the sound in the rooms, the cost of the room service 8$ for a small pitcher of coffee 12$ large. The portions vs. price could have been stepped up a couple of “notches” in the restaurants & bar (8$ for a Margarita). Yet the most annoying was NO where to purchase a late night snack something to tide you over before a midnight tour. Room service food was costly & stopped at 1:00am. This does not help if you on the ship socializing- ate dinner at 6-7pm yet wanted something as we did before the midnight tour to tide us over till am. The ships stores were unbelievably reasonable in price for the wares & gifts. Seriously I had enough for several gifts.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with family
Coolangatta, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Before leaving Australia, I debated whether to stay in LA for a further 3 nights OR go elsewhere. Having arrived in LA I was so glad I chose Long Beach as I was not overly enamored with LA city. Both Long Beach and Queen Mary Hotel have been nothing short of delightful

This beautiful elegant lady known as the Queen Mary is full of adventure, class and history. The staff are so friendly and immediately see to any needs you may have.

I enjoyed the ghost tour on board in addition to many self tours. It was fortuitous that I my stay coincided with Saint Patrick's day and so I enjoyed the Shamrock festival as well.

The hotel offers a free shuttle service around the small city of Long Beach, the shoreline village, pier, convention centre, Aquarium (which was great) etc. I took advantage of this on 2 days.

The stateroom with King Bed was roomy and comfortable. Be warned - the walls are paper thin. On my first night I was on the deck below the Promenade and the chairs from the restaurant above kept me awake all night as did the noisy people next door. I asked for another room the next morning and I was re-located to a quieter room with no trouble at all.
PLUS there is NO tea and coffee making facilities or mini bar. THAT for sure is on the down-side....

The choice of eating areas is good and accommodates all pallets and wallets.

I would not hesitate in staying here again. Overall experience was well priced and worth every moment and cent.

Room Tip: The stateroom with King Bed was roomy and comfortable. Be warned - the walls are paper thin. On my f...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled solo
Hinckley, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

Beautiful boat, if you are interested in maritime history or the Second World War, you should stay at least one night on the Queen Mary.
Amazing art deco features throughout, has been maintained to a very high degree.
Good restaurants.
The room we had was perfect - obviously you don't get a big room on a boat, but there was an en suite (all original).
Special memory: seeing the pelicans diving as we had cocktails in the Observation Bar!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
San Diego
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 17, 2013

We planned this as an overnight stay prior to going to Catalina Island. As it turned out, the evening we were there coincided with the "Royal Rendezvous" as the Queen Elizabeth did a sail-by with horns blazing and fireworks flying. It was a free event to the public, so the ship was complete chaos as we were checking in. One of the hotel staff, Paul, shepherded us through the roiling masses and checked us in. He up-sold me to a room with a porthole. We were there on an $89 Groupon rate, so the extra $40 seemed like an interesting offer. I was glad he did because we enjoyed the view we got from the two portholes!

We had a nice sized cabin on B deck. It was quiet and the bed was excellent. The ship is magnificent.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2013

We stayed one night on the Queen Mary as we were leaving on the Carnival cruise line which was a 2 min walk through the car park, so for us the location was perfect. The staff were very friendly, the room was clean, the bed was comfortable and it was affordable. There are many authentic pieces that remain, some which are not for public access. The downside was, we arrived late and night and there was nothing open to get any food. Other than that i would recommend staying here

• Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 15, 2013

I doubt anyone would walk away from having stayed at the hotel and say it wasn't worth it. If you are in the area and only have one night to spend, don't miss out by not staying here. If you can not spend the night, spend a couple of hours touring the ship, you won't regret it.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to The Queen Mary? Share your experiences!