“historic, fun, and noisy” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   1126 Queens Hwy, Long Beach, CA 90802   |
Hotel packages
Ranked #12 of 57 hotels in Long Beach
Santa Barbara
“historic, fun, and noisy”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2011

Think of this as an experience, not just a lodging, since there are many equal and better hotels in Long Beach if all you need is a good bed for a quiet night. (4* for entertainment value, 3* with caveats as a hotel.) A stay aboard the Queen Mary is a visit to a the age of great steamships, like a romp through Turner Classic Movies where Niven and Hope, Garbo and Astair once lounged with the Windsors. Tens of thousands of soldiers and war brides crossed on her as "The Gray Lady" in WWII, a ship so fast and agile she out-maneuvered Hitler's submarines. Wandering through the ship and the onboard museums is a journey into relics of elegance past and riveted boilerplate from the great age of machines. The staterooms have been preserved largely intact from the 30s build and early 50s refit, for better and worse; many original art deco fittings and woodwork. Unfortunately, that includes wafer-thin walls - we could hear the neighbors unzip their luggage, bang coat hangers, clock radios turning on, etc. And in order to have just adequate ventilation from a vintage air handling technology, doors have louvers which let all hallway noise in. In an earlier, more genteel time, perhaps ladies and gentlemen spoke in hushed voices so it wasn't such an issue. Today, without the muffling white noise of a running ship, corridor racket is a problem. (Ear plugs provided at front desk, or BYOBose.) If you like fresh air, spend a little more and go for an outside cabin with two port holes on the harbor side. (Look at several - they vary.) Dockside is busy and uninteresting; inner cabins are cell-like. Staff was professional and friendly in the hotel and restaurants. Prices are reasonable for a specialty venue, and food quality was fine throughout; comfy bed/linens. Shops, spa, business center. Several meeting/conference rooms and wedding chapel. Also a popular overnight for Carnival Cruise pax since their dock is just astern and check-in is aboard the QM.

Room Tip: harbor side is quieter; go for 2 port holes
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled on business

2,026 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (644)
  • Polish first
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

On our final night we had dinner in one of the hotel restaurants: the Chowder House (not good!). We felt under pressure to leave because we were the last customers there, even though it was only around10.30pm. As a result I forgot to pick up the camera and cardigan that I had put on a chair at our table. I realised as soon as we got back to our room, however in spite of informing staff within 20 minutes, both the camera and cardigan had gone. A security report was duly given to reception. My camera and cardigan were never seen again. I was astonished by this, because there were no members of the public present, and there could only be one or two members of staff that could have been responsible for the 'disappearance'.

When we first arrived we had been impressed by the character and uniqueness of the hotel. The hotel was a bit shabby in places, and the restaurants were most certainly overpriced, but we were condering staying for an extra couple of nights because we had otherwise enjoyed ourselves. However, you can't stay somewhere where the staff cannot be trusted, and the management do nothing about it your property is stolen.

There are plenty of hotels in this area, choose any one of them instead of this one.

Sooke, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2011

I traveled from Seattle, WA to LA via Amtrak Coast starlight, and their connecting bus brought me to within a short walk to the Queen Mary. My Travel Agent booked the hotel and informed them that I would be arriving late (11pm). Check in was pleasant and fast and I found my room quickly and easily. The room was very spacious, cozy, and had a huge comfortable bed. It being late, I only got to look around the upper deck area. There were several parties going on and it was nice to see each one, plus the forward lounge. When I retired to my room, outside my portal/window, I heard ladies high heels walking past heading from stern to bow, which was spooky as there are no walk ways out side my portal. In the morning, the same shoes went in the opposite direction. I did have a very restful sleep, as no other spooky things happened. Queen Mary has some very nice shops, lots of interesting information displays, and several eateries, plus fantastic views of Long Beach and surrounding area. Check out was a breeze, and only a short walk across the pier to the cruise ship. I highly recommend this hotel when staying in Long Beach, and next time I will plan to stay at least one more night and see if the ladies shoes do their walking.again.

Room Tip: Starboard rooms have a good view of Long Beach, port rooms have a view of the pier, and can be noisi...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011 via mobile

I have been coming to Sunday brunch on the QM for special occasions since I was a child. My boyfriend knowing how dear it is to me, planned an overnight getaway. Initially I was very excited. He booked a mini sweet for our stay.

My excitement gave way to disappointment once we stepped into our room. We were on the 2nd level, down a dark dingy hall. Our room was tiny! It was nothing like the "mini suite" we hoped for. It was basically 2 small rooms w/ a connector door.

The quality of the room was cheap and gross. The bedroom was small. The bedding was not new or luxurious. Our bed was queen sized and pushed up against the wall.

The sitting room was a slightly smaller room w/ a shabby couch and coffee table. The room was completely useless. Our room service cart looked to big fir the small door opening. So we ate dinner sitting on the bed. The only useful thing about that room was the refrigerator.

Some other notable things to mention: 1st, the room was incredibly HOT!! There was a bit of a heat wave that weekend. The only cooling system in the room was a small air pipe w/ cool air. There was no means to turn it up. It was either "cool", "heat", "open", or "shut". It wasn't until the middle of the night that the room was finally cool and comfortable.

2nd, the walls are very thin. We could hear the conversations of people walking down the hall. It was hard to feel romantic knowing anyone could hear every sound.

3rd, our room faced the Halloween haunted house line que. We had to decide between roasting in our sweltering room or opening the windows to hear crowds and screams outside. The Halloween event went on for what felt like all night.

Over all, I struggle to find anything I actually liked about our stay.

• Stayed October 2011
Modesto, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2011

For the hotel facilities this was not a pleasant experience, just too pricey for what you got. We realized we were there to see a genuine artifact that does not forgive them not having better amenities for the price (very small akward arrangement of the room). Food was also quite pricey in the dining room. The real KILLER for us was the fact that there was a Halloween festivel going on including a haunted house attraction below our cabin/room with loud screaming and shouting into the wee hours. (They should never have booked the rooms in that area with that sort of activity going on.) Additionally; the upkeep on the ship has been suffering. I realize the ship is very old, but there are a lot of signs of rust, decay and even windows broken and taped together.

Room Tip: Be prepared for long walks in the corridors because all the older elevators do not operate.
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

We stayed here after a drive from Las Vegas. It was a bit confusing to start with because the signage to the car park is a bit lacking on directions. Once I parked the car and went to reception, they took the car park ticket off me and all was OK once they explained the procedure. I did not see any signs saying that parking for hotel guest was $15, but reception advised this was the case. Our room was a stateroom with 2 queen beds and was quite spacious and well appointed. The next morning we were due to fly out back to Australia so were keen to try to fill in the time before our flight. Checkout is noon, so we did the self guided Audio tour which is $5 for hotel guests and takes about 2 hours. Excellent and covers a lot of history of the ships life and is recommended. As mentioned earlier in this review, the signage around the hotel is lacking a little and I found myself asking staff for directions all the time, other than this complaint, for anyone with a little hunger for history should make the effort to stay here. We ate in the Chowder House, and I found that the meal was good, but the french fries were a bit stale. All in all we were very pleased with our choice.

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

The Queen Mary is now over 60 years old and is therefore rather old fashioned but this is her charm.
We had an excellent room and an excellent dinner in the Churchill.
The audio tour of the ship is rather disappointing as there are so many things they don't tell you and so many places they don't take you. Just walk all over the ship and enjoy it.
Amazingly good value !

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to The Queen Mary? Share your experiences!