“Rough Start, Fair recovery” 3 of 5 stars

Book Now and Save 20%
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
virginia
“Rough Start, Fair recovery”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

I was in Long Beach for a wedding. Since I was coming in earlier than the rooms were blocked for, I was not given the discount rate the rest of the party was given. But it was okay..... I thought, since I found a much better rate at Priceline.com. I even called to have my Hilton Honors number added to the reservation after getting the Priceline rate. Hilton would not add it to my reservations due to being a third party booking and noted I was not eligible for points. I said that was fine, I just wanted it in the notes to ensure my room stayed reserved and I received member recognition upon check-in. But It did not happen.
I arrived around 10 PM, valet checked my rental, and went to check in. But was immediately told that I was moved due to an airline crew taking all of the rooms and mine being given away. I asked if I had had my HH membership noted in the reservation if this would have happened and was told it would NOT have happened.
So I was sent to the Maya across the bridge- and it is NOT an upgrade or even the slightest bit better.
So there I was, the next day, wedding activities to get ready for and having to pack and with no where to get ready or keep my things. After several calls from me, the bride, and to Hilton Honors, I was told a room would be available under my original reservation back at the Hilton at noon with an upgrade. So the recovery attempt started. I stored my gear at the Hilton, took care of the afternoon wedding activities and returned to my upgraded room. It was a nice, clean, corner, balcony room. Not quiet, but it is in the city, so can't really argue, just be aware it is not a quiet hotel.
I continued to valet my car and they were always nice. There was one night I needed to get my car out and no-one answered the phone at the valet, concierge, or front desk. When I walked down, I expected to see the valet, concierge, and front desk swamped...... but it was a ghost town. Really, that was the only problem after the check in debacle.
So do not book this on Priceline- you will be treated as second rate, only stay here if you are a recognized Hilton Honors member, and you have no where important to be just in case you get bumped. This hotel values it's contracts with the airlines more than it's individual customers..... can't blame them, money is money, but they are very obvious what is more important than customer service.... money.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
HLBConcierge, General Manager at Hilton Long Beach & Executive Meeting Center, responded to this review, October 25, 2011
Thank you for taking time out of your schedule to review your visit with us. We are so sorry that you had to be relocated your first evening with us. Please rest assured that customer service is our number one goal & we are sorry that this was not your experience.

Unfortunately, due to the system restrictions, we cannot make changes to third party reservations prior to arrival. On the positive, we often can assist in items such as changes to bed type requests or adding information such as Hilton Honors after check-in.

We are pleased to hear that you enjoyed your complimentary upgrade. We do hope we have the opportunity to host you again so that we may provide you with the "wow" experience our guests are accustomed. Happy travels.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (91)
Brea
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

I recently stayed here for business. I live about 30 miles away but had to pick up at LAX and drop off here with a very early meeting next morning. So we all stayed here. What a great hotel. when I walked into my room, my jaw dropped. It was at the end of a hallway.....not your normal end of a hallway.....the room was the edge of the hotel. The views...yes multiple windows, were wonderful. I had a small patio, a wonderful walk in closet, large bathroom, large dressing area, wonderful desk, sitting area. I was sorry I had to leave after just one night! We had dinner and it was wonderful, and breakfast buffet was wonderful as well. I'll be back!!!

Room Tip: Ask for 1143!!!
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us while visiting sunny California. It was lovely to read your review & hear of your satisfation with the hotel. Even though you're close by, we look forward to your next visit.
Austin, Texas, USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2011

Long Beach, California is one of those locations which is one step removed from the beaten track but well work the bit of extra effort to get there. And once you are there the Hilton is a great home away from home. Friendly staff, great location, and a very well run hotel!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for taking time out to review our hotel. We were so delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us. The staff was elated to hear your positive feedback about their service. Wishing you safe travels & a return to your "home away from home" soon.
Baltimore, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Stayed a couple nights on business. Very nice place and close to Long Beach attractions.
Can't think of a thing that would have made my trip better.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for staying with us during your visit to Long Beach. We were so appreciative of your positive review. We hope to see you again soon!
Murfreesboro, Tennessee
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

Have stayed at the Hilton Long Beach several times. Normally, when I travel for work as companies office is in World Trade building. Great location to office and resturant within walking distance. Staff always nice and greets me by name, couple even remember me from previous trips. Recently, decided to vacation with family on cruise from Long Beach, and chose Hilton Long Beach for the night prior to cruising because of past experience. Great hotel for value, would and have recommended to business colleagues.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Thank you for taking the time to provide other travelers with comments about your visits with us as repeat guests. Our staff will be so thrilled to hear your kind words. We love seeing familiar faces! Looking forward to having you back soon.
Atlanta, GA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2011

Most of the reviews are fairly accurate here. I'm a little shocked by the walking comments. It was a 15 minute walk along a palm tree lined main street to the convention center. Very pleasant in the CA weather. Pine Street which had a dozen great restaurants was the same distance (on other side of convention center in downtown.)

I still don't understand why hotels which are at the higher end of the quality scale insist on charging travelers for Internet.

Also the self parking lot was very small and filled up quickly. The spaces were tiny and it was hard to park and get in and out of your car.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Thank you for your review of our hotel. We were happy to hear that you enjoyed the beautiful California weather while walking to the convention center. You are correct that while city blocks seem longer the distance is about 15 minutes.

Thank you again & safe travels.
PDX
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2011

The hotel lobby staff were nice but they were understaffed. The valet/bell guys were super nice and helpful.

The rooms were 'roomy' with nice beds and linens. Our room had a refrigerator that was super noisy so we had to turn it down in the middle of the night. The bathroom products were good and I always appreciate good quality bath products in the room. The shower and water pressure was AWESOME!

It had a keurig type coffee maker with powder creamer only. The room was not deep cleaned which we were disappointed in. The light switches, carpet, etc was dirty. The hotel elevators also were dirty.

Besides that, the location was good and the parking was conveniently located underneath the hotel. There is not a lot of parking though for the size of hotel. I do like that it had valet.

Room Tip: Leave the refrigerator turned almost on 'off' or it can get loud! The pillows were decent al...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Thank you for staying with us while in Long Beach. We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed the room size, linens & shower. We are sorry to hear you did not find overall cleanliness to proper levels. We will certainly use this information to better train our staff.

It was also good to hear that you found parking convenient. We do have another lot as overflow when our garage gets full in the rear of the hotel. Since it is not as easily accessible to the elevators, we do not refer guests there unless no parking is available in the garage.

We look forward to hosting you again soon!

Been to Hilton Long Beach & Executive Meeting Center? Share your experiences!