“Great local hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #15 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Great local hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2013

The hotel was great and the design was very pleasing. Modern with a beach twist. I loved the room had hardwood floors. The only draw back is it's a bit far from downtown. They do have a shuttle that runs to the convention center. I would definitely stay here again.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Santa Barbara, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2013

Booked this hotel for my family while in town seeing the play, "Young Frankenstein". Hotel staff was very welcoming and helpful, especially Wayne and Vanessa. Accomodations were spotless and cozy. Slept like a log on the king sized bed. Complimentary shuttle was available for a destination within a five mile radius. Very reasonable price that included breakfast! I will be back!!!!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with family
Perth, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2013

I have to complement the manager Wayne in going above and beyond his role to organise surprising a guest in his hotel. He sourced and purchase a very specific gift for me. With me being all the way over in Australia receiving constant emails and photo feedback was only amazing and so reassuring. It would defiantly recommend this hotel for their customer service.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Predazzo, Veneto, Italy
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Fun, funky vibe in the lobby sets the tone for this property. I got a king room. The bed is amazingly comfortable. Room is large and well appointed. Bath is lovely. Sink is very tall...wish I were much taller to use it, but the shower is roomy and good counter space. Pool area is beautiful I hope I get time to utilize it. My rooms balcony overlooks Pacific Coast Highway, which is loud.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Note that this is a motel and not actually a hotel as the name suggests. But overall it was a very convenient stay for us. We wanted to stay somewhere cheap and cheerful, cosy, inexpensive, with relatively close proximity (20-30mins) to the beaches of the West Coast, LA and Disneyland.

This was my first time staying at an American motel and being from London, my impressions of motels was completely off.. so you could say I was pretty impressed after walking into our room.
Rooms go for about $60-$90 a night, with an option to upgrade to Jacuzzi room for an additional fee (for which we only used once in the entire trip.) Me and my husband stayed here a total of 4 nights, paying about $270.

It is a clean and comfortable hotel with very modern Ikea furnishings. We specifically chose the first floor as we were told that it had wooden floors. The second floors had carpets (which was reputed to be dirty and have a foul smell.)
We stayed at Suite 103, which was facing the busy road so it was too noisy at night to keep the windows open for fresh air; keeping them closed reduced the noise but meant we had to turn on the AC. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Staff friendly. Free parking. Free Wifi. A variety of great channels on TV. Comfortable bed (but with little square pillows.) Pool seemed clean with great lounge furniture. Would imagine it to be popular during the summer season.

Now for my biggest complaints. Which knocked off 2 big points, concluding this review a 3/5.
1. Ladies, good luck with trying to put on your make-up. There is no counter top space in front of a mirror. At one point I think I had to put my make-up bag on one side of the jacuzzi bathtub so I could do my make-up in front of the mirror in the bathroom.. and then the hairdryer I balanced on top of the toilet. The sink area is just.. the sink so I couldn't even fit a cup to hold my toothbrush. See photo. Hotel Current, invest in more spacious counter tops in bathrooms!!!!!!!

2. The rain shower I'm sure is very pretty but absolutely USELESS. No water pressure at all. Ladies, you can easily get around this by using a plastic cup or something.

3. My sink was rusty. I have a thing for rusty sinks. :(

Hotel Current has so much potential to becoming a better 'hotel' in the future.
It is affordable and a popular choice but if they addressed certain areas of the motel, they can easily progress to a 4* rated hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor NOT facing the street would be your best option.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our friends got married in Long Beach and set up a block of rooms, so we got a great deal. The room was impressive. Clean and well decorated. The bed was comfy. Dark at night. Free WI-FI. Another friend told us that the pool was COLD. My biggest complaint is the shower. No water pressure. I washed my hair using a Red Solo Cup. Fancy. Right? Just telling you, so you can be prepared. :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We made our annual pilgrimage to the Informex Show which this time was in, of all, places in Anaheim. As we are on a budget and didn't want to stay in Anaheim for the weekend prior to the exhibition I chose a location between LAX and Anaheim. Long Beach came up on my radar and after searching I found Hotel Current. This is a lovely hotel, clean, modern (inside) and reasonably priced. Also roughly equi-distant between LAX and Anaheim. The exterior. Of the hotel, to me, is a classic US motel type and needs updating. The rooms are updated and very nice. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The shuttle bus was also very good and easy to contact and use. Just as well really as the hotel appears to be in the middle of nowhere. I liked the hotel and downtown Long Beach has some nice bars and restaurants but if I go to Los Angeles again I will definitely select another location for R&R.

• Stayed February 2013

Been to Hotel Current? Share your experiences!