“Gem in Long Beach” 4 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Predazzo, Veneto, Italy
“Gem in Long Beach”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Fun, funky vibe in the lobby sets the tone for this property. I got a king room. The bed is amazingly comfortable. Room is large and well appointed. Bath is lovely. Sink is very tall...wish I were much taller to use it, but the shower is roomy and good counter space. Pool area is beautiful I hope I get time to utilize it. My rooms balcony overlooks Pacific Coast Highway, which is loud.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled solo

242 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (56)
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2013

Note that this is a motel and not actually a hotel as the name suggests. But overall it was a very convenient stay for us. We wanted to stay somewhere cheap and cheerful, cosy, inexpensive, with relatively close proximity (20-30mins) to the beaches of the West Coast, LA and Disneyland.

This was my first time staying at an American motel and being from London, my impressions of motels was completely off.. so you could say I was pretty impressed after walking into our room.
Rooms go for about $60-$90 a night, with an option to upgrade to Jacuzzi room for an additional fee (for which we only used once in the entire trip.) Me and my husband stayed here a total of 4 nights, paying about $270.

It is a clean and comfortable hotel with very modern Ikea furnishings. We specifically chose the first floor as we were told that it had wooden floors. The second floors had carpets (which was reputed to be dirty and have a foul smell.)
We stayed at Suite 103, which was facing the busy road so it was too noisy at night to keep the windows open for fresh air; keeping them closed reduced the noise but meant we had to turn on the AC. Oh well. Can't have everything.

Staff friendly. Free parking. Free Wifi. A variety of great channels on TV. Comfortable bed (but with little square pillows.) Pool seemed clean with great lounge furniture. Would imagine it to be popular during the summer season.

Now for my biggest complaints. Which knocked off 2 big points, concluding this review a 3/5.
1. Ladies, good luck with trying to put on your make-up. There is no counter top space in front of a mirror. At one point I think I had to put my make-up bag on one side of the jacuzzi bathtub so I could do my make-up in front of the mirror in the bathroom.. and then the hairdryer I balanced on top of the toilet. The sink area is just.. the sink so I couldn't even fit a cup to hold my toothbrush. See photo. Hotel Current, invest in more spacious counter tops in bathrooms!!!!!!!

2. The rain shower I'm sure is very pretty but absolutely USELESS. No water pressure at all. Ladies, you can easily get around this by using a plastic cup or something.

3. My sink was rusty. I have a thing for rusty sinks. :(

Hotel Current has so much potential to becoming a better 'hotel' in the future.
It is affordable and a popular choice but if they addressed certain areas of the motel, they can easily progress to a 4* rated hotel.

Room Tip: Rooms on the first floor NOT facing the street would be your best option.
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
San Diego, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our friends got married in Long Beach and set up a block of rooms, so we got a great deal. The room was impressive. Clean and well decorated. The bed was comfy. Dark at night. Free WI-FI. Another friend told us that the pool was COLD. My biggest complaint is the shower. No water pressure. I washed my hair using a Red Solo Cup. Fancy. Right? Just telling you, so you can be prepared. :)

• Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2013

We made our annual pilgrimage to the Informex Show which this time was in, of all, places in Anaheim. As we are on a budget and didn't want to stay in Anaheim for the weekend prior to the exhibition I chose a location between LAX and Anaheim. Long Beach came up on my radar and after searching I found Hotel Current. This is a lovely hotel, clean, modern (inside) and reasonably priced. Also roughly equi-distant between LAX and Anaheim. The exterior. Of the hotel, to me, is a classic US motel type and needs updating. The rooms are updated and very nice. The staff are friendly and very helpful. The shuttle bus was also very good and easy to contact and use. Just as well really as the hotel appears to be in the middle of nowhere. I liked the hotel and downtown Long Beach has some nice bars and restaurants but if I go to Los Angeles again I will definitely select another location for R&R.

• Stayed February 2013
Costa Mesa, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

I'm so grateful for The Hotel Current. It was just what I needed for my summer getaway. I only live about 25 miles south of the hotel (in Newport Beach) but wanted somewhere that I could stay and take day trips into various parts of Long Beach. One day it was the Belmont Shore area - which was awesome. Another day it was downtown Long Beach - I loved that too. And one day it was Seaport Village - a great relaxing day as well. And to have a nice, clean, comfortable hotel to return to at the end of each day was essential and convenient.

I loved the free morning breakfast. Had everything I needed.

I loved the vibe of the hotel. It was simple, kinda modern, with a little asian flair.

I loved sitting around the pool in the mornings reading the paper and relaxing in the shade.

If someone is looking for a inexpensive, cool hotel to call home on their trip to Long Beach, then Hotel Current is a great choice!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
Toronto
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 26, 2013

We booked this hotel on Expedia. They have a flat rate for a night, continental breakfast, shuttle to the Long Beach Port, and leave your car there for the duration of the cruise.

The motel was clean, and rooms seemed to have been recently renovated. We were welcomed by friendly staff who recommended a nearby pizza place.

The room had a clean shower, with lots of hot water, and water pressure. In the morning, the continental breakfast was the usual fare, with waffles, fruit, cereal, and pastries.

Our shuttle was at the correct time, and on our arrival back at Long Beach, we called and the shuttle was there if 15 minutes. The driver was friendly and informative.

For our purposes there were no drawbacks to this hotel. This being said, it didn't seem near any tourist type of things, so it may not be appropriate for all travellers. For one or two nights though, especially before a cruise this hotel was ideal, and we'd stay again.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Las Vegas, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 23, 2013

We stayed at this motel for two nights and I'll tell you it was enough1, mu husband hurt is knee bumping with the sharp wood corners of the bed, the carpet is black and very dirty, I complained at the desk about the beds and careless lady at the lady said that it happens all the time, mattresses hard and old, fleas! you read right, FLEAS! the shower was a nightmare no water pressure at all, I could not even take the shampoo off my hair, we were intending to stay for four nights and we should've check out the very first one.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hotel Current? Share your experiences!