“Our stay was wonderful!!!” 4 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   5325 East Pacific Coast Highway, Long Beach, CA 90804   |
Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Norwalk, California
“Our stay was wonderful!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 11, 2013

We went for my Husbands Birthday and got the Love Package from arrival until check out all of the staff members were very nice and went above and beyond to make our stay special. We had only one small complaint and that was very low water pressure in the tub and shower. We will for sure stay again and refer to our friends and family.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
hotelcurrent, General Manager at Hotel Current, responded to this review, March 14, 2013
Dear Cindy N J,

Thank you so much for your kind comments about your recent visit to our hotel and our staff. I promise to pass on the kudos to our team and I know they will share my excitement that we were able to help make your husbands birthday a success.

We are also making a note about the water pressure. When we renovated the property in 2010 we liked the "Rain Shower concept", but have heard mixed reviews from our guests. We are revisiting this concept and lookng to improve it in the near future.

Your feedback is important to us and we can't wait until your next visit to Long Beach!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (57)
Fort Lauderdale, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 23, 2013

Stayed 2 nights at Hotel Current, couldn't be happier. The rooms are very well done and the breakfast is excellent. The location is just right for getting around the Long Beach, Huttington Beach, Santa Ana areas, and it's quiet, even though our room looked out onto the 4-lane PCH right next to the hotel. Well worth it.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear SharonR03,

We appreciate you taking your valuable time to offer us your feedback. We are very pleased the stay refelcted a good time. Next visit we hope to order you some warmer weather and a sunny day for a maximized expereince at the pool courtyard.

Until next time....
Vernon, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 21, 2013

the hotel was nice and the staff very helpfull. We picked it because it had a free shuttle to shopping which was handy since we did not have a car. The pool area was nice with lots of lounges, but was in the shade and it was not that hot for sitting around. The hotel included a nice breakfast. Good for short stays. Spacious room.

Room Tip: If stairs are a problem ask for a lower level room, there is no elevator, I did not think of that bu...
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Calgary, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We stayed here three nights with our grandchildren and had a wonderful experience. The staff were excellent, the pool was heated and the beds comfy.there were games in the lobby for the kids and the dog park was a short walk away.

Room Tip: We also had a small dog, no problems at all.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Dear Gail285,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review. It means alot to us!

We have added services to accomodate kids and we are thrilled that your grandkids found our place to be fun. We added the games in the lobby and our selection of books so that families could do more traditional "family time" instead of all the electronic entertainment that our lives are inundated with.

We look forward to your next visit!
Santa Maria, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 20, 2013

We were given a room in the front building, right next to the driveway and PCH. Due to this, there was some road noise -- I live in the country so I'm not used to it. My girlfriend who lives closer to the city didn't mind at all. They had a maintenance issue with the sprinklers -- They woke me up twice with a massive, obnoxious grinding/vibrating sound. It only happened the first and third night I stayed, so I assume that's what it was.

We stayed in a room with a two person tub, which was pretty wonderful, except...

.. No wall between the bathroom and bedroom? no privacy. There was a see-through curtain to give a bit of privacy, and it was obviously set up (two rails) for an opaque curtain as well as a see-through curtain, so I assume that the opaque was taken down and never put back up. It worked out okay, but it was a little odd going to the bathroom. The two person tub was pretty shallow, so it wasn't so awesome for a bigger guy (both in height and in weight) and lack of water pressure meant it took almost 20 minutes to fill. If I ever stay here again (I wouldn't be opposed, I just have others I prefer), I would probably forego the tub, and stick with a regular room.

Breakfast was okay, but nothing to write home about.

Room Tip: If you're at all self-conscious, avoid the tub rooms. They seem like a great idea, but they lack...
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Milwaukee, Wisconsin
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Well my wife & I stayed here on 1/18/13 did a pre-cruise package. I went off the reviews and noticed one or two that people said they didnt feel safe and blew them off and went with most of the positive reviews, this was a mistake. The area seemed OK across from a golf course. From the outside from street it looked like a old Travel Lodge or Holiday Inn from the 60's but when you pull in it has a nice entrance with very tall Bamboo. The lobby is very nice and the front desk people very nice. You can see the pool from the lobby again very nice. Now the problems, they put us on the second floor in a building behind the main building, they asked if we needed help with our luggage and we said no figuring no we would use the elevator, surprise no elevator, again this a re-vamped motor lodge. Got our luggage up the flight of stairs and then the room key card would not work. A very nice maid showed us how to wiggle it to make it work (lock was flimsy) got in the room and it was very nice. Fancy sink, nice colors, you could tell someone spent quite a bit of money on this old motel which made me think why? The location was not really close to anything most tourists would want to stay in my opinion about 5 miles from popular things but they do have a shuttle, which I will bring up later. I had a bad feeling right away, there was a mirror on the wall next to the bed, looked odd so wife did the 2 way mirror test and it was a legit mirror. Now comes the trouble. We were only there for about an hour and here come the police, 1st one car, then 2, final total 4 this was about 3pm, cops all over the place, some guys in a room saw the cops and ran out of room past our window like the place was on fire, seems they thought the cops were there to pay them a visit, well it wasnt them but another guy, went to the lobby to ask about shuttle times and they gave us a 4pm time to come down to the lobby. I asked the person at the desk what was going on and he said he didnt know but as I was leaving a cop came in asked for a pass key and the desk peson gave him one which I thought was odd, is it there policy to give out pass keys to police without asking why?? At this time I wanted to check out and find another hotel put we figured its only 1 night and they were taking us to the cruise ship the next morning, after all what could really go wrong? Arrived in the lobby at 4pm to take our shuttle to the Pike area, near the Queen Mary, shopping. food etc. Rode with some other guests there, driver boke just about all traffic laws you could, speeding, illegal turns and almost hitting some people crossing the street. Anyway he dropped us all off at the Pike, said he would be back at 7pm. We got there at 6:45pm and waited no shuttle by 7:20pm called hotel they said he was making other drop offs would be there in 10 minutes. 30 minutes later no shuttle, and we quickly discovered this place we were waiting was not a good place after it got dark plus it was getting cold. Called hotel again they said hw would be there any minute, well he showed up with an attitude and a guy in the passenger seat of the van that I knew right away was not a guest of the hotel, in fact he looked total gang banger. We pulled away and the driver said we were going to get the scenic way back to the hotel. The driver and the passenger never spoke we started driving and we were not heading back to the hotel, in fact we were now driving about 20 minutes from the hotel in the oppisite direction. My wife was getting very worried we had no idea where we were or where we were going. My wife carries a small box cutter in her purse and palmed it she and I both figured we are tourists and about to get robbed, we were texting each other. The driver then turned down a alley, we thought here it comes but then wound up in a mall and he dropped the guy off at a gym or something. As if this wasnt enough he then had real hotel guests to pick up at another mall, we were glad to see them, and they told us they were waiting for an hour and upset. We finally got back to the hotel, very nervous. We walked by a soda machine and all I wanted was a soda but of course that was broke. When we got back to the room we were very on edge between the cops that were there earlier and this shuttle driver we piled our luggage up against the door and barely slept that night. In the morning upon check out I was going to ask for some sort of refund but figured I just wanted to get to our cruise ship, thank God we had a diffrent shuttle driver. I did tell the desk clerk about the shuttle driver the night before and he said he would check into it. Two other things the guy that all the cops came for at the start of all this I heard the cop say this was the 5th. time they were at the hotel for him so it was clear to me that the hotel knew what was going on. Also the hotel again really a motel has 3 seperate buildings the main, nice, the 2nd which we were in which the rooms were nice but behind hat a 3rd building that looks like they dont use anymore but I noiced windows open and curtains blowing around so I am not sure if they are renting those out weekly, monthly or whatever but it looked very shady and I wouldnt walk back there. It did seem like most of the guests we pre-cruise guests but I have stayed at hotels all over the world including Russia and never felt less safe. I was going to dispute the charge with my CC company but we did have a roof over our head that night, I said the Hell with it but to pay 150.00 for 1 night of being on edge this is one place I would not advise anyone 2 stay here.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Stormy174,

I will be honest. This was a difficult review to answer to. Just as you took a few weeks to write the review, it took me some time to figure out how to respond. Mostly, because of how frustrated I was as a Hotel Manager to be so negatively affected by our local police department, and my deepest sympathy to how our guests (like you), were impacted by the experience of their unusual presence that day at our hotel.

I won't waste your time giving excuses as to what happened. I will simply be compassionate of how that first impression made you feel and then say that I understand that other activity following that experience made you uneasy and unsafe. I am truly sorry for this and I am empathetic.

This police activity that day was totally uncharacteristic for our hotel. If it was the norm I am sure this review site would reflect that type of issue. In my opinion, the authorities unfrortunately overreacted to an investigation and then after hours of "quaestioning numerous guests" realized they were at the wrong hotel and rushed off to a competive location to find the "persons of interest". No arrests were made and no illegal activity was happening on our property. With that said, it still gave a terrible first impression to our guests. I have met with the local police department and have communicated our concerns as to how this situation affected our guests and staff. They have apologized and will take corrective action as well.

I did confirm that the individual that was in the shuttle with you and your wife, was one of our guests who is staying in the hotel while attending a local flight school. He had arranged to use the shuttle to go from one location to the Fitness facility, prior to returing to the hotel for the night. With the other concerns I will address each issue with our staff, so we can do better in the future.

Again my apologies and best wishes for your future travel plans.
Homosassa, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2013

Motel style hotel that had been done over. King-size beds that were very comfortable with lots of pillows -- helps to get comfortable. Typical breakfast room included. Some decent places to eat nearby.

No hot water in some rooms the first morning, but it was fixed as soon as possible. Oddly, the front desk handed me the manager's business card to report the problem with hot water to get faster service.
Some little things keep it from a higher rating.
Getting the internet was problematic due to set up. Had to go to the office several times to get new ID and password combination.
A bit of noise between rooms and also from a truck warming up for quite a while in the parking lot due to motel style set up.
Overall, a pretty good place, but the little things kept it from a higher rating

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Current? Share your experiences!