“Felt like "Home"” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #16 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
“Felt like "Home"”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

First off let me tell you that making my hotel reservation was easy to do and the staff was most helpful and friendly!
When I arrived , check in was easy simple and the staff was very accomidating.
I entered my room to find that it was very inviting! Outside I thought to myself looks like a Vagabond Inn that has had a face lift and brought up to date for the new Millenium, but; once inside and did my walk through I found out that the room looked better than some of the more expensive and well known hotels that I have stayed at in the past.
The bed was a King size bed with about an 18 " thick matress that was very comfortable!
The Bathroom impressed me the most though it had a super large walkin shower with tile and a Large rain showerhead coming out of the ceiling and a shower gel and shampoo dispensor on the wall.
The only thing I could find that was a problem was that there was no microwave in the room.
I had items that were microwaveable and could not heat them.
Breakfast offered just about everything imagineable.
Overall, I was very happy and satisfied staying there and would recommend this place to anyone to stay there when in the Long Beach area!

• Stayed December 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (63)
  • Polish first
SF Bay Area
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

The things I most appreciate was the service -The front desk heated up some pasta for us (after they transferred into a microwavable bowl), I got a tip on where to go for food, my board passes printed out. Very nice staff. The room was a decent size, has a small fridge (no microwave), good sheets, beds and pillows (the later important to us). No toiletries or much other than some coffee in room.
The outside is motel-ish. but all the rooms Hotel Current makes available are all updated - funky modern.
Free Internet, no cost parking, a pool (no hot tub), Lobby offers some games, some basic breakfast food. There are several places to eat in easy walking distance (selection of take out, cheaper, mid price and expensive...I was quite happy),
A big plus is that this hotel has a van that shuttles guests within a 5 mile radius which includes the LB airport (about 10 min or less away) and the beach (about 15 minutes - it's close, but one takes cute side streets)- The shuttle is a great for anyone who has some specific places they are going and worked well for a fellow traveler who went twice to Trader Joe's by van. Love check out is 12 not 11. The negative is noise - our doors seemed to have a bit of a gap (fine in terms of security with the lock), but meant one heard more noise. We heard quite a bit of noise from surrounding rooms - though I have stayed in some pricey hotels which also were not sound proof enough. The heat/AC unit is noisy. We got used to it a bit. The Hotel also takes pets! We will be back.

Room Tip: Some rooms around the pool, people with kids might think about their kids age and ask to be near/or...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Carpinteria, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We specifically requested a quiet room because we have a dog who is awakened by any noise. When we arrived at 12pm, because no "dog rooms" were yet available, we weren't given a room. When we returned after social engagements at 8pm, we must have gotten the last dog room available. It was handicap enabled, right next to the stair well and vending machines. We got hardly any sleep as our dog was constantly awaken by people going up and down the stairs and by the up stairs neighbors. And the lights from the vending machine lit up the room. The room had no sitting furniture other than an office chair on wheels. Their channel guide was inaccurate.

I wouldn't recommend this location to anyone with a pet who doesn't sleep soundly.

Room Tip: As I said, if you have a pet that is a light sleeper, make sure you REALLY get a quiet room.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Bicknell, Utah
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 24, 2012

we picked this hotel b/c we were going on a cruise and you could stay, leave your car and get a ride to the ship and back and that was in with the price, which was not bad. What I didn't like was that the internet didn't work well in our room, was a room on the back row of the place, you had to be next to the window for it to work, room was small but that was ok we just needed a place to stay. Breakfast the next morning was good. Would stay again

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Tucson, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2012

We didn't know what to expect with this hotel as it was an older style that claimed to be newly renovated. We were VERY happy about our room. The bed was very comfortable and the room was SPOTLESS. The entire staff was very nice and helpful. Even the maintenance men touching up scuffs in the paint stopped to offer to carry our bags! Our only complaint was that breakfast was not very good, very crowded and no one around to keep things stocked. Didn't mind much tho because everything else was fantastic. There was also not an elevator to our second floor room but we didn't mind that either. We are looking forward to staying here again very soon.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
hotelcurrent, General Manager at Hotel Current, responded to this review, November 19, 2012
Thank you so much for your kind and positive comments about our staff and hotel accomodations. I am so pleased to hear of our maintenance staff's attentive service to you. That is the culture we promote here. I was sorry to learn of the breakfast issues and I will address the miss on our staffing levels. Your thorough review will help us to be better for the future.

Thank you again for taking the time to write a review and we look forward to your next visit!
Corpus Christi, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

I was appalled to discovery that a $250.00 fee was added to my stay, based upon an accusation by one of the managers that I had smoked in my room. I did NOT smoke in my room. I discussed this issue with the person in question; to no avail. I freely admit to being a smoker and that I did indeed smoke in the parking lot. I did deposit some cigarette butts in the trash can in my room, so as not to litter the parking lot and was rewarded for this, by being essentially called a liar and assessed an additional $250.00. I wouldn't recommend it, unless you're in the habit of having your integrity questioned and you have $250.00 to reward those who do so

Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
hotelcurrent, General Manager at Hotel Current, responded to this review, November 14, 2012
All of our guestrooms are non-smoking and we communicate this policy on all websites, through signs in each room and at check-in when you signed the no smoking policy guidelines. We do not act lightly when we investigate an infraction. There are three people called to be witnesses to a potential infraction. The housekeeer, the supervisor, and a manager. I was personally called to your room and winessed a strong odor of smoke, cigarette butts in the trash, a large amount of smoked ashes on the white sheets, and a damaged pillow from a tobacco substance. All of these pictures were shown to you.

We certainly do not engage in any illegal or unethical practices and the fee simply covers the cost to rectify infractions because of replacement, labor, and chemical treatment. There are times when an investigation indicates a "grey area" and we side on the side of caution and discount or waived this fee. However, in your case, the investigation provided too many indicators of violations and the room had to be serviced longer and with chemical treatment to remove the odor and replace the damaged pillow.

I am sorry for your frustration and ill thoughts of our hotel, but we have the right and responsibility to ensure our rooms are ready to rent for the next guest who expects a clean a refreshed room that is of non-smoking quality.
San Clemente, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

Clean rooms, free shuttle, but most of all the world friendliest staff ( thank you, Christina). Loved this hotel. Was on quick getaway from OC and found this little secret spot. Shower was amazing, big and water pressure great. Bed was super comfy. Front desk booked us a free shuttle downtown and gave us few tips on dining adventures. Will be back

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Current? Share your experiences!