“Great hotel in a not-so-great area” 4 of 5 stars

Offers & Announcements
Save up to 20%
Ranked #19 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersSilver level
“Great hotel in a not-so-great area”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

Stayed here the night before our 2-night stay in Catalina. This hotel is clean with new paint, carpet, furniture and good quality linens. Bed was very comfortable. Thank goodness we chose this hotel over the others nearby. The neighborhood is not good! We felt safe on the hotel grounds but would not have even considered walking anywhere. The location is about a mile from The Pike and Long Beach Landing, which is great for dinner and shopping. But be sure to be in your car when you leave the hotel. Staff was very friendly and went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable. For an extra $10 per night we left our car in their secured lot and took the hotel shuttle to the Catalina Express terminal. Breakfast included waffles, hard-boiled eggs, cereal, muffins, toast, juice, etc. We would stay here again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the street as there is a train station across from the hotel.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (67)
Vancouver Island, BC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

Stayed here for one quick night on our way home from our holidays.

Pros: Pricing only paid $66 plus taxes. Great location to the Long Beach Airport. Lots of parking and decent beds. Bathroom was large, clean and stocked with ammenities. Arrived at night and left at 5:30am so only stayed to sleep.

Cons: Alarm clock did not work and kept buzzing without the alarm set. We unplugged it so we could sleep. Our room was close the metro train and the noise was a little loud.

Room Tip: Avoid a room by the train tracks.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Costa Mesa, California, USA
1 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

Got verbally assaulted and threatened by another guest at the hotel in the lobby waiting for the elevator before I even got to the room. It was so bad I felt like my life was in danger. I went back to the front desk and asked to be switched to another best Western and was told there were no refunds. I asked to talk to a manager and he said he was the manager. I left immediately and wasted my $120 before I even stepped foot in the room. I am a rewards member too and will definitely never stay at a Best Westen again.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Hemet, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 18, 2013

Its been awhile since I've written a review on this Hotel...Its become our Home away from home when were in Long Beach...Our preferred Hotel to stay at...and now with the renovations done, Painting and new carpeting done...Its as good as any "new Hotel"
No this Hotel is not in the best neighborhood! But I feel my car and ourselves are very safe..The staff here is the best and will take care of your every need just for the asking.
We travel a lot, and stay the Gambit of Hotels including 5 star...If all Hotels were like this Best Western we would always be happy...
Were just Thankful when we do have to come to Long Beach for Doctor appointments we have our home away from home

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

When I had a travelling job (on the road 99% on my FT job), we would either get booked at BW or a Choice hotel or sometimes a 5 star one, if we get lucky :)

I just stayed here a week ago for a night on a brief visit in Long Beach. I got a discount from my employer and I know I can count on Best Western's cleanliness. I just want a clean room to spend the night, with wifi and some solitued. BW got that for me. And oh I forgot my toothbrush and toothpaste, so I called the Front Desk and in less than 3 mins they were already knocking on my door.

I am a budget traveller and BW just fits within my budget. And I get to sleep tight for the night. Thanks for making this hotel clean. Sorry I've repeated that word a few times already but hey, you gotta give credit to the staff who makes your bed ya know!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled solo
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

Cheap and cheerless. Price was good and day staff friendly. Evening/night staff were anything but. Area is not the best but easy access to Long Beach on the tram. Breakfast was pretty lame and the plastic bowls, plates, cutlery added to the sense of cheap, as did the extremely limited space and long queues to get a slice of toast. Musty smell in the corridors, rooms not bad except not very sound proof so people moving in the room upstairs may as well be walking on top of you. It was cheap though!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
mikesandhu, Manager at BEST WESTERN of Long Beach, responded to this review, January 29, 2013
We're truly grateful that you took the time to share your recent experience, as the detail that you've provided will give us the opportunity to get a clear perspective of our guest's time at the Best Western of Long Beach. We do regret that your experience with us did not match the high standards of customer service that we have set and can assure you that your comments will be shared with the head of our customer care department, your comments on inconsistencies that you experienced at our Breakfast room and will use as an opportunity to strengthen our commitment to providing the best in service for each of our guests with new variety and presentation. The frustration that you must have felt in our breakfast room is understandable and we regret any inconveniences that you experienced during your stay. As a Value Guest, we hope that you will someday allow us the opportunity to welcome you back and provide you with the perfect accommodations as we have finish remodelations to make our breakdfast room enjoyable, Thank you.

Been to BEST WESTERN of Long Beach? Share your experiences!