“You DONT get what you pay for” 1 of 5 stars

Carlton Motel Long Beach
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   4034 Long Beach Blvd, Long Beach, CA 90807   |
Ranked #51 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Las Vegas
“You DONT get what you pay for”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2011

This motel looks great on paper... but you'll be sleeping on paper under a bench dealing with these folks. I had a reservation to stay one night. I was driving in and thought I better give a courtesy call to the motel to let them know I'm still coming, I'm just late after a long drive. I was pretty close by but wanted to be sure I covered my bases. It was 9:45pm and I spoke with a gentlemen saying, I'm still coming just wanted to let you all know.. I was told that since I booked online my reservation would be cancelled at 10pm sharp. I asked if they could do anything, the gentleman said he would try but the system wasnt allowing him to. I attempted to call the online booking service but they were closed. I stepped on it and made it to the hotel at 10:07pm, where I was greeted by a man who immediatedly held up a "NO VACANCY" SIGN. I held up my reservation print out and said I have a reservation. He shook his head No and said "no english" then held up the sign again. I explained I had a reservation He repeated his SIGN Language and shook his head no. I then called back to the receptionist and explained I was at the hotel & asked if he could give me my room since the window attendant spoke no english. The receptionist said he was sorry there were no vacancies... I said so in 7 minutes you gave my room away, knowing I was coming. I was offered no apologies, given no recommendations for another location just told that my reservation was canclled at 10pm. I was standing at my car, when a second patron went to the window..she became loud and I could overhear her yelling that her reservation had been given away. I realized that in ess then ten minutes, this obscure little motel had given away two rooms. In truth, they had overbooked and be damed the people who had already paid for there rooms.

Regardless of the exterior or interior remodel, nothing makes a motel more then service and here you get NONE regardless if you pay or if you stay...

This motel gets a straight FAIL!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
Modesto, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2011

First of all a "budget" room may mean cutting corners but should not compromise cleanliness! My daughter's and grandson and I checked into our rooms. The rugs were grimmy and filthy. I could not even walk on them without socks or shoes. The non smoking rooms has cigarette holes in the blankets. When my daughters pulled back the blankets it had "God knows what" on them. Both rooms smelled bad. The light next to my bed kept flickering like it had a short in it, more than likely a potential fire hazzard. I swear the rooms were flea infested. I was itching from just sitting on the corner of the bed. Within 30 minutes my daughters, grandson and I had our belongings back in the car and were ready to leave. I turned in the room key and expressed to the person behind the window my detailed concerns and reasons for not wanting to remain and advised we would not be staying there. I booked two nights and paid in advance. I contacted Priceline (who I booked through) to advise of the situation. Although I stayed only a matter of minutes the Carlton and Priceline would not agree to any type of compensation.I should only know that would be the situation. Naturally such people that don't care enough for their guest to clean the rooms would not agree to make things right because they are dishonest. I went to another place in Compton, CA that got us into clean rooms and took care of us for the two nights we needed to stay (and they were busy). They accomidated us kindly and every way possible and you know what??? They were a budget establishment as well!! You could tell they cared for their customers and made our stay most comfortable (Plus they provided breakfast- Wow I didnt expect that!) I will not name them because I don't want anyone thinking I am advertising for another establishment. I write this to let people know to save your hard earned $$ and go elsewhere! There are some people that provide good service (at decent prices) and then there are others like the people at the Carlton that will rip you off. Now my next good deed for the night is to go to the site of the establishment that gave such good service and write them an excellent review! After all THEY deserve it.

Room Tip: Go anywhere else but avoid the Carlton!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Pahrump, Nevada
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 25, 2011

We attempted to stay at this Motel July 16th. We had reserved a room, paid for it and had a confirmation no. The man behind the desk (I believe he was the owner as well) told us "no vacancy". We attempted to show him our confirmation number and refused to even look at it. He repeated "no vacancy". We contacted Hotels.com and they tried to call him in the office but he refused to pick up the phone. I got Hotels.com on the phone and made the clerk take my cell phone and talk to them. He agreed but simply listened and then hung up on Hotels.com. BTW: there were 4 people behind us traveling from Europe. They had book thru Expedia.com and their rooms were not available as well. We were attempting to check in at 4PM so it wasn't even late. I would not recommend you stay at this place....the clerk/owner is very sleazy.

Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Pampa, Texas
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 18, 2011

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER go to this motel !!!! I booked 9 night by Expedia and I spent just 1 day. In the first one they moved me to the different motel which was terrible - dirty with bugs. Next day I spent there just one night because at the morning manager KICKED ME OUT from the room saying they have wall paintings. He told me that he was talking with Expedia and they are arranging another motel for me – it wasn’t true and I didn’t have any accommodation. Expedia didn’t help us, and I didn’t have any refunding – they even didn’t say sorry. So if You can choose don’t go there and be careful with Expedia – after 3 days calling they pick up the phone.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
Buffalo, New York
1 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

We're staying at this hotel today in june 2011.... we arrived a little early at about 1130... we walked up to the check in booth and were nastily told we were too early and could not check in until 3 pm... even though the lot was completely empty except for 1 car... we have huge bags going on a cruise the following day... it showed on their website check in at 2 pm .... when we returned he checked us in after fighting for it... all I can say is.. the customer service is horrible... I was never greeted... never given a smile... just checked in angrily.. I felt like it was a fight and I was putting him out... I work for an airline and I travel all the time... I have never been treated so coldly at a motel.... the rooms are very small... but pretty clean and pretty quiet.... they give you too little waters... and a small bag of goodies.. which I think is nice.... so basically as long as you don't mind being treated like crap it is a fair price for the money... hope this helps... I honestly would have booked elsewhere

• Stayed June 2011
Rosamond
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 15, 2011

We had to upgrade for $15 a night after already paying the $130 for 2 nights because the room we had was NOT smoke free! The rooms are discusting, tv reception is poor quality! There were ants in the shower, staines on the sheets and the beds were crazy hard. If we could have got our money back we would not have stayed there. NEVER again and the manager wanted us to gice a 5out of 5 review! No way! Seriously save yourself some money! I wish that the other reviews would have said that being that I had made reservations based on tthem. Also there was a crack in the room #103 from one section of the room to the other. The rooms look nothing like the pictures! This is definately pest in!

• Stayed February 2011, traveled as a couple
CARLTONMOTELLB, General Manager at Carlton Motel Long Beach, responded to this review, February 22, 2011
The $15.00 fee was paid since the guest came to the window and wanted the deluxe room after they had booked the standerd room. The guest stayed with the hotel for two nights, when the GM went to talk to the guest the 2nd night to ask if everything was ok the guest responded "Yes its all fine". We at the hotel think if theres a problem with the room please bring it to the staff so we can fix it or change the room to a new room. We wounldnt have know this unless the guest tell us at the hotel and we will make every effort to fix the problem.
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 10, 2010

There were no problems or issues with our stay. The place was nice and clean. It was a good place for the money we paid.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Investorshm, Guest Relations Manager at Carlton Motel Long Beach, responded to this review, November 18, 2010
The Carlton Motel appreciates your feedback regarding your recent stay. The Carlton Motel has recently upgraded the guestrooms and we are always glad to hear our guests' comments. We hope to see you again on your next visit to the Long Beach area.

Been to Carlton Motel Long Beach? Share your experiences!