“The Beachrunner's” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 10 Long Beach B&B and Inns
california
“The Beachrunner's”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I found the Beachrunner's to be quite welcoming and spotless, as well as a perfect walking distance from the nearby beach. It helped that the weather was awesome. My room, the Long Beach, was small as the place is an older home, which can be expected, I guess; however it was quite well-appointed and the Beachrunner's has their own parking nearby if you can't find any on the street, which is the norm in L.A. I enjoyed meeting Pat and her daughter Courtney , the innkeepers, as well as their kids the next day. I am NOT an early riser so I missed the main breakfast which I have heard was great, there was some stuff left over like fresh berries when I got up, I just went into the kitchen and got myself some with coffee and found some Fig Newtons among the snacks to go. Long Beach in general is so nice now that I have really enjoyed the last couple of times I have been there. Shoreline Village is great, eat around the Marina like at somehwere like the Yard House asI did and walk around a lot before or after. There's a lighthouse that changes colors at night and a lot of other things to see and do there. Enjoy your trip!

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
Houston, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2011

The location is great. Two blocks from the beach and a quick drive to downtown and the pier area. The home cooked breakfast is very good. Parking is free and close. My room was small bit did fine. There is no a/c so it was a little warm when going to bed. I would stay here again.

• Stayed July 2011
Monterey, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2011

Pat is the Innkeeper of Long Beach! I made reservations requiring extra consideration for my parents -- and she exceeded all expectations--according to my parents! Pat's hospitality and attention to detail set the stage for a very positive 4 day visit. Mom and Paul stated, "we'll be visit Long Beach again and we will only stay at the Beachrunner!"

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Phoenix, Arizona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2011

The Beachrunner's inn was a nice place to visit. The building is clean and has a nice charm to it. Housekeeping was great (fresh towels daily, and the usual expectations). Breakfast was delicious and there were a lot of options. The bathrooms were clean and supplied with two very comfy, warm robes. The host was accommodating and pleasant. We had read other reviews before staying so we knew where to park.

There were a couple of things that bothered me about the place. As others have said you do feel like you are walking into someone's home. You can't help but notice the kids toys hidden behind the furniture and if you are there during the day you will encounter the extended family. One thing that is a bit unlike a hotel or B&B is that if you come in late, the lights are off. It's like walking into a friend or relative's house when you know they are asleep. You have to find your way through dark house to your room.

As a suggestion, I would like to see them have a new door lock system setup. It doesn't have to be fancy, but it could be much improved. You receive two keys at check in, one opens your room door and the other opens both the front door and the patio door. Unlike a typical business, these are standard home-style locks, meaning you have to remember to lock the door behind you. It would be nice to have something set up to at least lock automatically when the door closes. The gate to the patio is locked at night, and there is no way to unlock it from the outside even with a key. If we wanted to come home at night, we had to use the front door. It would not be difficult to put an externally accessible lock on the gate.

I'm not sure if the older guy living there has some kind of disability or if he is just really unhappy. The first few times I encountered him I said hello and smiled and he would just stare back, no vocal response of any kind. Like this thousand yard stare that made you feel like you're intruding into his home. This guy will only do two things the entire time he is there. One is sit in front of the TV. If he's watching TV in the main area, you will feel unwelcome and uncomfortable because of his stare and refusal to at least say "hi". Likewise, his other activity is to smoke cigarettes. Like continuous chain smoke. At least he does this outside, but again it is in the patio area where the hot tub is located. He will often leave a tray full of butts sitting on the table if he is not there. He made us feel uncomfortable so we only used the hot tub once during our 7 day stay.After a couple of days I stopped saying hi to him and just hurried off to our room to avoid the awkwardness.

As others mentioned there is no AC in the rooms. It was January so we were rarely uncomfortable but I can imagine in summer it would be unbearable.

The rooms are small, but we were OK with that. Because of the size of the room and our length of stay, we decided to unpack our clothing into the drawers and furniture provided. It was a bit disheartening to find some of the drawers wouldn't budge. I'm no weakling, these drawers were really stuck. It seems like a simple fix that shouldn't have been overlooked. In addition, we opened the window on the first day and realized that it had no screen. We noticed the screen had fallen out and landed on a section of roof below.

Overall it was a great stay. The room was comfortable and the breakfast was good. This is what you want at a bed an breakfast, so on that case it was excellent.

• Stayed January 2011, traveled on business
Hull, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2010

I booked this place for my parents who were staying for 5 days in Long Beach. I did a lot of searching other hotels as we know the area very well and thought this would be ideal. The room was small but perfectly adequate, the location was brilliant, most important the area is pretty safe and my parents felt comfortable walking around. The breakfast was very good and the hosts were delightful. The only downside was the outside seating area was a bit messy with lost of discarded cigarette butts in an overflowing ashtray and not a lot of view. This was a little disappointing for my parents who enjoy sitting outside with a bottle of wine after dinner but as it was only 5 nights and we were out every night anyway it didn't matter too much.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Burke, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 22, 2010

My husband and I stayed in the Kennebec room for three nights, and we enjoyed a good night's sleep every night. In the morning we were greeted with servings of fresh strawberries, blackberries and blueberries, a variety of cereals (including granola), and something special like Pat's version of the breakfast sandwich or her cheese omelet-delicious! Guests have a choice of fresh jams and preserves, butter and even creamed cheese to spread on their toasted bagels or breads. Large chilled pitchers of orange and cranberry juice wait for you to fill you glass as often as you please, and your morning coffee can be enhanced with cream, hazelnut, vanilla, or Irish cream creamers. What a difference from our hotel room the three nights before where we were served a muffin in cellophane and coffee in styrofoam and powdered creamer in the pouch.

The decor of this craftsmen was impressive, and the owners have a talent for detail from the bedding to the art work. In the bath, we were delighted to find luxurious towels, a welcoming shower and a collection of quality toiletries. We had a large channel selection on the television.

The owner was very welcoming to both us and to the guests we brought over ( our daughters) and very fun to visit with-she knows the Long Beach area very well and was very helpful. Any parent who has a child at Long Beach State should make Beach Runner your hotel because we stayed at one hotel for the first part of our stay, and it certainly was not as pleasant as our stay at the Beach Runner. Parking is a problem in Long Beach, and parking is provided at the Beach Runner.

• Stayed August 2010, traveled as a couple
Santa Cruz, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2010

My husband and I spent an extended weekend at this lovely little B&B. The family who owns Beachrunner's Inn is warm, gracious and welcoming. We stayed in The Laguna Beach room and were delighted by the decor and comfort of the mattress and pillows. Robes, soap, lotions and hair dryer are supplied for your convenience. Yes, there may be two youngsters around from time to time, but it just makes the experience more like visiting family friends.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Beachrunner's Inn? Share your experiences!