“Slightly disappointed” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 58 hotels in Long Beach
Kailua-Kona, Hawaii, United States
“Slightly disappointed”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

First off, I have stayed at MANY Hilton hotels over the years, and am a HUGE fan1
I had about a 2 week stay at this hotel. Unfortunately I had a room on the ground floor and directly across from the elevator and the main entry to the other rooms. I found that the hotel is very noisy in the hall ways and noise travels due to the age of the building. Definitely a hot spot for weddings and parties.
I also could hear any movement in the room above and on the sides of me. Which made for rather early mornings. The room had a dingy smell to it, and the air conditioner is very loud.

I didn't change rooms because I was expecting my handicap mother to be visiting and she is unable to walk too much. I dined at the breakfast and it was not good, tasted like food had been sitting there for hours. The room service food was good. The service was excellent as it always is at a Hilton Hotel. The area is amazing, great views.
Overall I am left with a mixed feeling regarding this particular Doubletree. Don't think I'd stay again, as there are many other choices within the same area. I suppose they would be quieter.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 22, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. I am dissapointed as well as we want all of our guests to leave completely satisfied! I wish you would have requested a room move as we would have been more than happy to move you to a room you were happier with. We can be very active as we book many celebrations here due to our beautiful waterfront setting and well known high quality of food. We do have quieter rooms available when we know people want to be away from the action in the main building. I hope you do come back and try us again so we can make sure you get a room that fits your needs.

744 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (223)
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

Maya is right on the water within walking distance of the bridge that takes you right into the downtown and all the attractions, like the aquarium, restaurants, museums, etc. A bit pricy, but lots of amenities, like pool, restaurant and even a sand beach with fire pits at night to keep warm while watching the city lights sparkle on the water. There is a nice walkway that runs all the way to the Queen Mary, as well as the cruise ship terminal. Try breakfast on the outside patio watching the birds on the water as well as an occasional sea lion sunning himself on the nearby floating boat docks. Breakfast burrito is huge but will set you back $20.

Room comes with refrigerator and sliding glass door for easy access to the outside or a personal patio. Well insulated...even an all night action movie with helicopters, explosions and gunfire did not spoil our rest.

Room Tip: Try for a water/city view...
  • Stayed November 2013, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 18, 2013
Thanks for the great comments! Hope to see you back soon!
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2013

I love this place. Hotel Maya is my regular lodging for business trips to Long Beach, and it has an excellent culture for leisure. I travel to Long Beach for about 1 week out of every month, and I know that when I book the Maya, I'm in for a treat. The staff is friendly and accomodating, and the location is beautiful. As a fan of architcture and design, I really enjoy getting 'lost' in the thoughtful elements of the property. There are tons of places to just relax and take the place in. There are plenty of private areas outside and around the property, which make it ideal for resorting with your spouse or family. This is a great place for events, and if I lived in Socal, this would have definitely been my wedding venue of choice. The restaurant and bar are top-notch! Try all the ceviches! It's certainly worth the short drive from the Long Beach airport, and there is so much to do neraby during the days if you're on vacation.

What really sets this place apart from other hotels in the area is the atmosphere. As an avid hookah smoker, I fell in love with their outdoor hookah lounge. Ash, the owner of Socal Hookahs, is very friendly and knowledgeable. He'll never let your bowl just die out, and is very good at what he does for a very reasonable price. If you don't like the flavor, he'll swap it out for something you're sure to enjoy. The smoke is always smooth and flavorful, and I can verify that he keeps his pieces clean and in great condition. Even when I travel alone, I know I'll have a great time with a gstrong drink and top-notch hookah and catch up with Ash or chat it up with the bartenders. Even if you don't smoke hookah, or never have, the environment makes for a great social experience - you truly can't beat it anywhere else in the area!

Room Tip: So far, all rooms I've had are nice. Each has a patio or balcony area - some overlook the water...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2013
Thanks for the great comments and thanks for staying withg us regularly...I might hire you for marketing. :)
Clovis, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

The ONLY downside of this hotel, and it isn't their fault, is that the Hotel is the first stop on the free shuttle to downtown. This is fine going from the hotel, but returning an be frustrating. The "last" stop on the Passport Shuttle, is at the Queen Mary. The bus driver then takes an 8-10 minute break. Some drivers allow you to stay on the bus, and some kick you off. Either way, it is only about a 5 minute walk to the hotel from the Queen Mary stop, but, depending on the shoes you are wearing, it might be easier to wait than walk.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thanks for the great score and feedback. I am happy you like the hotel and have heard the passport comment before. Luckily it is a short two minute walk to the Maya from the Queen but I will follow up the transit company to make sure their drivers inform people of this.
Phoenix, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

My wife and I just recently stayed here. The hotel was very clean, nice people and we got free cookies on check-in. I would definitely recommend upgrading your room to view the water. The opposite side is noisy from the cars. Pros: Free Wifi Clean room- nice view of the harbor and downtown Long Beach. Good Happy Hour specials. Nice gym. Really friendly and highly accommodating bar staff. Cons: Parking is $19/day Expensive dinner menu- You don't get a lot for what you pay for. We had ceviche and a chile rellano and our bill was $65 pre- tip.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 13, 2013
Thanks for the good comments and agree on the Water view as it is always more soothing to sit on your patio and look at the beautiful waterfront and skyline. We just go a perfect review in the Long beach press telegram for our Fuego restaurant calling it the perfect combination of great food and great views. You get what you pay for here as we are competitive with other waterfront restaurants in southern California and get stellar reviews. We hope you come join us again soon!
San Diego, United States
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

Outdated hotel and smells and looks old. Save your money! Pictures make it look awesome but the rooms are terrible. The restaurant views of the harbor are great however its outshined once you get to your room. Entire location needs facelift.

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for writing a review about your recent stay at our hotel. We are very sorry you were unhappy with our guestrooms. We appreciate your feedback, and will keep your comments in mind while we work to improve our guest experience. We hope you’ll stay with us again soon and tell us what you think about our improvements.
Denver, Colorado
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2013

the hotel is okay but I had to move rooms twice because of the loud music and smoke from the Hooka Lounge. Drinks and food are expensive. Go to the queen Mary for breakfast as they have a much better deal. Staff is friendly and Gopal is very nice. Stay somewhere else on the weekends and you will enjoy your stay much more!

• Stayed November 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

Thank you for the feedback but I am a bit confused as we do not have any music in the Hookah lounge. Please email me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so I can investigate what happened. Obviously something went on that normally doesn't as you and the next review both mentioned music in Hookah which we don't have for exactly this reason. We strive to provide excellent guest service and it appears we failed in this case and I apologize. Please come back and try us again as I assure you. there will be no music int he Hookah lounge.

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!