“There are better places out there...” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Martensville
“There are better places out there...”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2013

I was dissapointed with my stay here. The first impression is good; nice lobby and outdoor spaces, it's the apartment-style buildings the rooms are housed in show their age and are unattractive in my personal opinion. I found the elevator and stairwells frightening (in a dark and dingy sort of way) when I was by myself.
The room itself is just okay, not near the caliber of other hotels I stayed in during my 2 wks in the California area. I booked through Booking.com and had a confirmed rate and tax amount outlined in my confirmation, but was overcharged on both the nightly rate and the tax amount and am still awaiting a refund. I have now put it in the hands of Booking.com to resolve with them. Not at all worth almost $300 for a one night stay. The room was water-facing and we listened to old boats rubbing up against the dock all night as well as other random loud noises making for a terrible nights' sleep. I wish I hadn't paid extra to book a water view room, I probably would have had a better stay in a cheaper room with less noise. The parking charge ($19) is high considering you're in the middle of no-where - talk about gouging! There are no on-street parking options... so if you have a car be prepared to pay. Keeping in mind you pretty much have to have a vehicle to stay here as there is nothing around. This hotel was the most outdated and least enjoyable of our vacation, yet somehow but the most expensive. I would not return.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 24, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. As you booked through booking.com and not through the hotel, all of your rate, payment and stay info comes through them so we really arent able to make any adjsutments to your bill, only they are. It is wise to get them to fix it if there was an error between what you agreed on and what they told us. I always recommend booking through the hotel directly to avoid such issues. We certainly appreciate you taking the time to respond and will review your experience with our team to see if we can address your issues with the stairways. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (240)
Santa Barbara, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 21, 2013

Attended a conference and made reservation within the time limit to get a discounted rate. Nevertheless, a different discounted rate (less favorable) was offered and accepted. At check out, the second discounted rate was not reflected and I had to prove the hotel (chain's) promise to have the better rate honored. Hotel staff was great, but seemed constrained by rigid corporate policies. It would have been better to honor the originally offered conference rate with a reservation made within the time limits.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business

Review collected in partnership with DoubleTree by Hilton

701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 30, 2013
Thank you for your feedback and I apologize for any confusion over your reservation. Please email me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so I may look into what happened and correct it for future reservations. Thanks again and we look forward to seeing you again.
Redding, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2013 via mobile

The rooms are very comfortable, bathrooms a little small. Private balconies/patios are very nice. Tiki torches and fire pits are so romantic! Walking distance to the Queen Mary.
The decorations are very interesting, open air is refreshing.
I would stay again.
Free wireless Internet is a bonus!

Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Glad you liked it and enjoyed a romantic weekend. come back soon!
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Gladly surprised , mega size rooms, excellent food with generous portion, free breakfast! A1 customer service overall. Walking distance to the Queen Mary, amazing views . Will definitely be back if in the area, got much more than expected.

• Stayed April 2013
Thanks for the great feedback and we loved your review as well. Our rooms are a good size and if you got a fourth or fifth floor room you had teh high ceilings as well which make the rooms seem huge. Come back soon!
Melbourne, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in Long Beach. Make sure you hire a car as its not close to anything in particular, but not too far from anything either. Very quiet overlooking the water. A real joy to come back to after the hustle of LA. excellent food and you can walk to the Queen Mary (if that's your thing).

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thanks for taking the time to fill out the review. We are glad your family enjoyed it after the hustle of LA. We are as you described not in the heart of anything but close to everything. Many tourist stay here as we are centrally located to LA, Anaheim and orange county tourist attractions and don't forget next door to the Queen Mary and aquarium of the pacific, Long Beach's two biggest attractions.
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

After carefully reviewing my folio from a recent stay (5 nights) on a business trip, I realized I had been charged a daily $20 "upgrade fee" that I never agreed to. I never signed anything, never was told about an increase to my room rate, and never would have accepted same. When I phoned the hotel to dispute the charge (after having spent a great deal of money eating and entertaining clients in the hotel restaurant each day, not to mention daily parking charges) the manager I spoke to, Fernando Chavez, was not only rude, accusatory, and unapologetic, but also suggested he was going to check surveillance cameras and audio to verify that I agreed to a rate I knew absolutely nothing about. As if I had committed some kind of criminal offense.
This is not customer service. This is a rude and disrespectful attitude to customers. I would now never recommend this hotel and am going to think twice about staying at Hilton properties in the future if this is how they train their employees and treat their guests.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent experience with us. We sincerely apologize for the billing error you've experienced and the level of service with which this was handled. As you are aware we credited the upgrade fee last week as soon as I was notified of it. We certainly strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and apologize that we failed to do so in this case.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Maya on a business trip, had I know the location was out by the cruise terminals I wouldn't have stayed here. The location is pretty, close to the QE2 retired cruise ship (now used as hotel & restaurants) with nice view of ocean and boat docks. The problem is getting to the location, right now there is road construction going on and the turn off is almost impossible to find. Once you miss the exit you are forced to go into the QE2 gated area, get a ticket and drive straight over to the exit. It must be a regular thing because there are big signs that say free for the first 20 or 30 minutes.
Hotel is a little old, but it seems like it has been updated. Rooms are nice, mine was upgraded so it was larger with a nice view. The amenities were very nice as well, they had a man made beach area below my room with a big gas fire pit that had people sitting around it with cocktails. I only ate breakfast here and it was decent, typical buffet type food, luke warm, not hot but it was good. Service was slow but friendly.
Would I stay here again? Most likely not, besides the difficulty in getting to the hotel it's just not in an area you can walk to many restaurants like the downtown area is.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback. There is quite a bit of road construction going in Long Beach on on the way to our hotel but if you follow the directions on our website you should be fine and get here quickly and easily. Our directions don't take you all the way in on the 710 as it appears you did. Just make sure next time you print them out or follow sings tot he south waterfront hotels which is what we are considered. Thanks again!

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!