“A mini-resort in LA” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Melbourne, Australia
“A mini-resort in LA”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 13, 2013 via mobile

Great hotel in Long Beach. Make sure you hire a car as its not close to anything in particular, but not too far from anything either. Very quiet overlooking the water. A real joy to come back to after the hustle of LA. excellent food and you can walk to the Queen Mary (if that's your thing).

Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thanks for taking the time to fill out the review. We are glad your family enjoyed it after the hustle of LA. We are as you described not in the heart of anything but close to everything. Many tourist stay here as we are centrally located to LA, Anaheim and orange county tourist attractions and don't forget next door to the Queen Mary and aquarium of the pacific, Long Beach's two biggest attractions.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (255)
Brooklyn, NY
1 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

After carefully reviewing my folio from a recent stay (5 nights) on a business trip, I realized I had been charged a daily $20 "upgrade fee" that I never agreed to. I never signed anything, never was told about an increase to my room rate, and never would have accepted same. When I phoned the hotel to dispute the charge (after having spent a great deal of money eating and entertaining clients in the hotel restaurant each day, not to mention daily parking charges) the manager I spoke to, Fernando Chavez, was not only rude, accusatory, and unapologetic, but also suggested he was going to check surveillance cameras and audio to verify that I agreed to a rate I knew absolutely nothing about. As if I had committed some kind of criminal offense.
This is not customer service. This is a rude and disrespectful attitude to customers. I would now never recommend this hotel and am going to think twice about staying at Hilton properties in the future if this is how they train their employees and treat their guests.

Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 15, 2013
Thank you for your review of your recent experience with us. We sincerely apologize for the billing error you've experienced and the level of service with which this was handled. As you are aware we credited the upgrade fee last week as soon as I was notified of it. We certainly strive to exceed all of our guest's expectations and apologize that we failed to do so in this case.
Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback.
AZ
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Maya on a business trip, had I know the location was out by the cruise terminals I wouldn't have stayed here. The location is pretty, close to the QE2 retired cruise ship (now used as hotel & restaurants) with nice view of ocean and boat docks. The problem is getting to the location, right now there is road construction going on and the turn off is almost impossible to find. Once you miss the exit you are forced to go into the QE2 gated area, get a ticket and drive straight over to the exit. It must be a regular thing because there are big signs that say free for the first 20 or 30 minutes.
Hotel is a little old, but it seems like it has been updated. Rooms are nice, mine was upgraded so it was larger with a nice view. The amenities were very nice as well, they had a man made beach area below my room with a big gas fire pit that had people sitting around it with cocktails. I only ate breakfast here and it was decent, typical buffet type food, luke warm, not hot but it was good. Service was slow but friendly.
Would I stay here again? Most likely not, besides the difficulty in getting to the hotel it's just not in an area you can walk to many restaurants like the downtown area is.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback. There is quite a bit of road construction going in Long Beach on on the way to our hotel but if you follow the directions on our website you should be fine and get here quickly and easily. Our directions don't take you all the way in on the 710 as it appears you did. Just make sure next time you print them out or follow sings tot he south waterfront hotels which is what we are considered. Thanks again!
Mar Vista, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Cool ambiance, treasured locale, sumptuous menus, peaceful locale, and vibrant Mayan energy! Be sure to take time to stroll throughout the idyllic grounds, share a delightful mixed cocktail at the Fuego bar and the Pool bar with a side of chips and their amazing guacamole! If you're lucky enough to stay during the performances of the Ancient Music & Dance of Mexico - do so -- as it's certainly an entertaining and welcome journey back in time to indigenous cultural delights! One of my favorite places to stay, rest, play and create joyful memories. Thank you, Hotel Maya for your warm hospitality ~

Room Tip: Of course, rooms overlooking the boats, beach, pool & city skyline is fabulous!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review and description...you definitely "get" the Maya. :)
Sunny Cali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Decided on a "stay-cation" close to home..and found our new little paradise 30 mins from home! What a cool "boutique style" hotel this was....Very reminiscent of the DR with Bali beds by the pool...fire pits along the bay front....a "beach" with fab lounges and couches...fabric draped recluses. What I noticed was TEXTURE used to enhance the decor everywhere in this hotel.Iron, fire, flowing fabric, cinderblock walls, calf hair and flocked wallpaper on the reception counter...all very unusual and visual...totally impressive using some common and not so common elements. At night, changing lights on the building sides give an ethereal feel...tiki torches and fire pits had a tropical feel.

Staff was excellent...with a shout out to Fuego staff members Linda (bartender) ..who personally showed us a better spot (at the rail) to have our lunch that afternoon and then took us on as our personal server...lovely and funny. Also a big thank you to Alipio, at Fuego, that asked the chef to make us breakfast even though we had missed it. Those 2 experiences with these people made us LOVE this hotel. All staff was very helpful and nice. Our room was excellent! Again, unusual touches that made us feel like we were a million miles away...not 5 minutes from downtown Long Beach.

Dog friendly...but...we would like to see a designated area for guests to eat that would allow dogs to accompany. We didn't bring our dogs this time, but would like to in the future...without having to actually get in the car and leave to go elsewhere to be able to eat or have to order room service. I would say that was the only thing lacking that we asked about.

The pool wasn't huge and it was perfect and deserted when we were there....we were able to use one of the "floating" Bali lounges and that was superb. You can walk to The Queen Mary...and there is another restaurant across the way "Reeds" that we tried for a drink and appetizers. Rooms are built around an atrium so sounds are a bit loud...but not too bad. You will need a car or better yet...use The Passport, a local FREE bus that comes by every 15 minutes and takes you into downtown Long Beach with many stops depending on where you are going. the Pike, the Aquarium of the Pacific, and more. Runs till midnight.

We loved our 2 night stay and plan to return...many times!

Room Tip: Building 1 is away from the action while building 4 overlooks the pool and could be noisier. During...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I think I love your review as much as you love our hotel...Thanks! You captured all of the elements that make the Maya so special. We may even have to hire you to do our marketing. :) I will pass along your comments to Linda and Alipio who are great members of our team. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Avondale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was amazing, from the front desk being so understanding about check in and the warm cookies all the way to the beautiful rooms and views. You can get anywhere in long beach with a short cab ride OR you can ride the free bus to town just a few feet walking distance from the hotel. I wish I had a chance to hang out by the pool but it was all business when I was there. Will DEFINITELY stay there again

• Stayed February 2013
Thanks for the great comments...you have to come back and try the pool or beach when you get a chance...they are my favorite places other than Fuego in the hotel.
Lisle, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Long Beach isn't exactly a restful, quiet ocean side city. When you find a quiet secluded place in an otherwise industrial area - you appreciate it. I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Maya very much. Professional staff. Good restaurant. Great bar. Excellent daily breakfast. Given that I was in Long Beach for business, access to downtown Long Beach was easy. Finding the hotel in all of the construction is a bit of a challenge but once you get your bearings its no problem.

My room was alot more than I expected for a Doubletree. Very high ceilings. Very nice balcony seating area. My only concern was that the rooms open to the outside. Given that the Maya is somewhat remote - security hopefully isn't a concern. It wasn't during my stay. My only real complaint about the room was that the bathroom counter space is essentially zero. There's a small glass shelf for placing items but it's very small.

Otherwise, I would be much happier staying at the Hotel Maya if it was priced more in line with its age. This is not a new hotel. The heating/cooling system in the rooms is very old - the floor units having the push button and dial system that most hotels transitioned away from a decade ago or more. Everything outside your room is painted concrete. The elevators are tiny and slow.

Several of my points here aren't easily resolvable by the Hotel Maya and as I noted, I enjoyed my room and my stay very much. If the Hotel Maya was priced competitively to the Hilton Long Beach - I'd stay at the Hotel Maya every time. Unfortunately, the Hotel Maya is generally priced well above the Hilton Long Beach with the Hotel Maya commanding a premium price. That a Doubletree 1 mile away from a full service Hilton is priced 10-20% higher than the Hilton doesn't make sense.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and prefer Hotel Maya. We are the only waterfront hotel in Long Beach and the only resort style hotel and thus the difference in pricing with the hotels located across the bridge in the business district of Long Beach. Location is everything they say. I do recommend signing up though for our Hotel Maya newsletter on our hotelmayalongbeach.com website as we offer specials often through that channel. Hope to see you again soon!

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!