“Good Hotel for Cruise Departure” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
AZ
“Good Hotel for Cruise Departure”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2013

I recently stayed at the Hotel Maya on a business trip, had I know the location was out by the cruise terminals I wouldn't have stayed here. The location is pretty, close to the QE2 retired cruise ship (now used as hotel & restaurants) with nice view of ocean and boat docks. The problem is getting to the location, right now there is road construction going on and the turn off is almost impossible to find. Once you miss the exit you are forced to go into the QE2 gated area, get a ticket and drive straight over to the exit. It must be a regular thing because there are big signs that say free for the first 20 or 30 minutes.
Hotel is a little old, but it seems like it has been updated. Rooms are nice, mine was upgraded so it was larger with a nice view. The amenities were very nice as well, they had a man made beach area below my room with a big gas fire pit that had people sitting around it with cocktails. I only ate breakfast here and it was decent, typical buffet type food, luke warm, not hot but it was good. Service was slow but friendly.
Would I stay here again? Most likely not, besides the difficulty in getting to the hotel it's just not in an area you can walk to many restaurants like the downtown area is.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 14, 2013
Thanks for the feedback. There is quite a bit of road construction going in Long Beach on on the way to our hotel but if you follow the directions on our website you should be fine and get here quickly and easily. Our directions don't take you all the way in on the 710 as it appears you did. Just make sure next time you print them out or follow sings tot he south waterfront hotels which is what we are considered. Thanks again!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
Mar Vista, California, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 9, 2013

Cool ambiance, treasured locale, sumptuous menus, peaceful locale, and vibrant Mayan energy! Be sure to take time to stroll throughout the idyllic grounds, share a delightful mixed cocktail at the Fuego bar and the Pool bar with a side of chips and their amazing guacamole! If you're lucky enough to stay during the performances of the Ancient Music & Dance of Mexico - do so -- as it's certainly an entertaining and welcome journey back in time to indigenous cultural delights! One of my favorite places to stay, rest, play and create joyful memories. Thank you, Hotel Maya for your warm hospitality ~

Room Tip: Of course, rooms overlooking the boats, beach, pool & city skyline is fabulous!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends
Thanks for the great review and description...you definitely "get" the Maya. :)
Sunny Cali
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Decided on a "stay-cation" close to home..and found our new little paradise 30 mins from home! What a cool "boutique style" hotel this was....Very reminiscent of the DR with Bali beds by the pool...fire pits along the bay front....a "beach" with fab lounges and couches...fabric draped recluses. What I noticed was TEXTURE used to enhance the decor everywhere in this hotel.Iron, fire, flowing fabric, cinderblock walls, calf hair and flocked wallpaper on the reception counter...all very unusual and visual...totally impressive using some common and not so common elements. At night, changing lights on the building sides give an ethereal feel...tiki torches and fire pits had a tropical feel.

Staff was excellent...with a shout out to Fuego staff members Linda (bartender) ..who personally showed us a better spot (at the rail) to have our lunch that afternoon and then took us on as our personal server...lovely and funny. Also a big thank you to Alipio, at Fuego, that asked the chef to make us breakfast even though we had missed it. Those 2 experiences with these people made us LOVE this hotel. All staff was very helpful and nice. Our room was excellent! Again, unusual touches that made us feel like we were a million miles away...not 5 minutes from downtown Long Beach.

Dog friendly...but...we would like to see a designated area for guests to eat that would allow dogs to accompany. We didn't bring our dogs this time, but would like to in the future...without having to actually get in the car and leave to go elsewhere to be able to eat or have to order room service. I would say that was the only thing lacking that we asked about.

The pool wasn't huge and it was perfect and deserted when we were there....we were able to use one of the "floating" Bali lounges and that was superb. You can walk to The Queen Mary...and there is another restaurant across the way "Reeds" that we tried for a drink and appetizers. Rooms are built around an atrium so sounds are a bit loud...but not too bad. You will need a car or better yet...use The Passport, a local FREE bus that comes by every 15 minutes and takes you into downtown Long Beach with many stops depending on where you are going. the Pike, the Aquarium of the Pacific, and more. Runs till midnight.

We loved our 2 night stay and plan to return...many times!

Room Tip: Building 1 is away from the action while building 4 overlooks the pool and could be noisier. During...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I think I love your review as much as you love our hotel...Thanks! You captured all of the elements that make the Maya so special. We may even have to hire you to do our marketing. :) I will pass along your comments to Linda and Alipio who are great members of our team. We look forward to your next stay with us!
Avondale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was amazing, from the front desk being so understanding about check in and the warm cookies all the way to the beautiful rooms and views. You can get anywhere in long beach with a short cab ride OR you can ride the free bus to town just a few feet walking distance from the hotel. I wish I had a chance to hang out by the pool but it was all business when I was there. Will DEFINITELY stay there again

• Stayed February 2013
Thanks for the great comments...you have to come back and try the pool or beach when you get a chance...they are my favorite places other than Fuego in the hotel.
Lisle, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Long Beach isn't exactly a restful, quiet ocean side city. When you find a quiet secluded place in an otherwise industrial area - you appreciate it. I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Maya very much. Professional staff. Good restaurant. Great bar. Excellent daily breakfast. Given that I was in Long Beach for business, access to downtown Long Beach was easy. Finding the hotel in all of the construction is a bit of a challenge but once you get your bearings its no problem.

My room was alot more than I expected for a Doubletree. Very high ceilings. Very nice balcony seating area. My only concern was that the rooms open to the outside. Given that the Maya is somewhat remote - security hopefully isn't a concern. It wasn't during my stay. My only real complaint about the room was that the bathroom counter space is essentially zero. There's a small glass shelf for placing items but it's very small.

Otherwise, I would be much happier staying at the Hotel Maya if it was priced more in line with its age. This is not a new hotel. The heating/cooling system in the rooms is very old - the floor units having the push button and dial system that most hotels transitioned away from a decade ago or more. Everything outside your room is painted concrete. The elevators are tiny and slow.

Several of my points here aren't easily resolvable by the Hotel Maya and as I noted, I enjoyed my room and my stay very much. If the Hotel Maya was priced competitively to the Hilton Long Beach - I'd stay at the Hotel Maya every time. Unfortunately, the Hotel Maya is generally priced well above the Hilton Long Beach with the Hotel Maya commanding a premium price. That a Doubletree 1 mile away from a full service Hilton is priced 10-20% higher than the Hilton doesn't make sense.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and prefer Hotel Maya. We are the only waterfront hotel in Long Beach and the only resort style hotel and thus the difference in pricing with the hotels located across the bridge in the business district of Long Beach. Location is everything they say. I do recommend signing up though for our Hotel Maya newsletter on our hotelmayalongbeach.com website as we offer specials often through that channel. Hope to see you again soon!
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Perhaps we didn't start off in the best frame of mind after an 11 hour flight from the UK, baggage collection, car pick-up & then set off to Long Beach. It was dark before we arrived. Without our GPS I don't know if we would have ever found the hotel! It's very close to the docks & rather daunting at first.I liked the decoration in the rooms, but they could have been cleaner. The restaurant was very quiet & not particularly welcoming. We were in the garden room for one night & then marina side for a night a few days later. the free shuttle bus to downtown was good & it was also easy to walk over the bridge to Shoreline Village, but I would only have walked it in day light. car parking was $17 per night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I wish you had stayed here on the second day of your trip and not the first. :) I m glad you found it though after your long travels from the UK. Being remote or across the bridge from the rest of Downtown is exactly what makes us so special and resort like. We are an oasis in the heart of downtown Long beach, within walking distance of downtown but far enough away to feel like you are away from the urban hustle of it all. The rest of the city looks back at us and the port while we have an amazing view of the water and city skyline. We also have the city's complimentary bus that runs every 15 minutes from our hotel throughout the downtown area. I truly hope you make it back to enjoy a lengthy and more restful stay with us. I am sure you will love it!
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I wasn't totally sure what to expect with this hotel as it had some mixed reviews prior to the trip. It's a bit tough to find, so make sure you have a GPS when driving to it, but it's well worth the trip. The check process was very speedy, and the room wonderful. Comfy robes, spacious bathroom with nice shower head. Very comfortable bed. The room is spacious too. Best of all, it had a Keurig coffee pot! (For those that read my reviews... one place I always check is the cleanliness of the coffee pot.) The only quirky thing is the furnace/air conditioner looked like it was about to break down any minute; but it did work well. On the flip side, while you get a great water view from the hotel.. there is only one onsite restaurant and I believe it is very expensive. There is only one other place to eat within walking distance, so, have a car (although I believe the hotel shuttle will take you within the near area) to get to the Long Beach pier for good dining. $19/day in parking is extreme, and the ticket machine to get out of the parking lot was a bit troublesome. The breakfast buffet, which was delicious, was a whopping $25 so be prepared for that. All in all. I would stay again if business brought me back to the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback. We love the coffeee makers too...Many of our guests love them so much they buy them when they return home.We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you back here soon!

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!