“Hidden Treasure in Long Beach...shhhhh!” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #13 of 58 hotels in Long Beach
Sunny Cali
“Hidden Treasure in Long Beach...shhhhh!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013

Decided on a "stay-cation" close to home..and found our new little paradise 30 mins from home! What a cool "boutique style" hotel this was....Very reminiscent of the DR with Bali beds by the pool...fire pits along the bay front....a "beach" with fab lounges and couches...fabric draped recluses. What I noticed was TEXTURE used to enhance the decor everywhere in this hotel.Iron, fire, flowing fabric, cinderblock walls, calf hair and flocked wallpaper on the reception counter...all very unusual and visual...totally impressive using some common and not so common elements. At night, changing lights on the building sides give an ethereal feel...tiki torches and fire pits had a tropical feel.

Staff was excellent...with a shout out to Fuego staff members Linda (bartender) ..who personally showed us a better spot (at the rail) to have our lunch that afternoon and then took us on as our personal server...lovely and funny. Also a big thank you to Alipio, at Fuego, that asked the chef to make us breakfast even though we had missed it. Those 2 experiences with these people made us LOVE this hotel. All staff was very helpful and nice. Our room was excellent! Again, unusual touches that made us feel like we were a million miles away...not 5 minutes from downtown Long Beach.

Dog friendly...but...we would like to see a designated area for guests to eat that would allow dogs to accompany. We didn't bring our dogs this time, but would like to in the future...without having to actually get in the car and leave to go elsewhere to be able to eat or have to order room service. I would say that was the only thing lacking that we asked about.

The pool wasn't huge and it was perfect and deserted when we were there....we were able to use one of the "floating" Bali lounges and that was superb. You can walk to The Queen Mary...and there is another restaurant across the way "Reeds" that we tried for a drink and appetizers. Rooms are built around an atrium so sounds are a bit loud...but not too bad. You will need a car or better yet...use The Passport, a local FREE bus that comes by every 15 minutes and takes you into downtown Long Beach with many stops depending on where you are going. the Pike, the Aquarium of the Pacific, and more. Runs till midnight.

We loved our 2 night stay and plan to return...many times!

Room Tip: Building 1 is away from the action while building 4 overlooks the pool and could be noisier. During...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 10, 2013
I think I love your review as much as you love our hotel...Thanks! You captured all of the elements that make the Maya so special. We may even have to hire you to do our marketing. :) I will pass along your comments to Linda and Alipio who are great members of our team. We look forward to your next stay with us!

776 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (237)
Avondale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 8, 2013 via mobile

This hotel was amazing, from the front desk being so understanding about check in and the warm cookies all the way to the beautiful rooms and views. You can get anywhere in long beach with a short cab ride OR you can ride the free bus to town just a few feet walking distance from the hotel. I wish I had a chance to hang out by the pool but it was all business when I was there. Will DEFINITELY stay there again

• Stayed February 2013
Thanks for the great comments...you have to come back and try the pool or beach when you get a chance...they are my favorite places other than Fuego in the hotel.
Lisle, Illinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 6, 2013

Long Beach isn't exactly a restful, quiet ocean side city. When you find a quiet secluded place in an otherwise industrial area - you appreciate it. I enjoyed my stay at the Hotel Maya very much. Professional staff. Good restaurant. Great bar. Excellent daily breakfast. Given that I was in Long Beach for business, access to downtown Long Beach was easy. Finding the hotel in all of the construction is a bit of a challenge but once you get your bearings its no problem.

My room was alot more than I expected for a Doubletree. Very high ceilings. Very nice balcony seating area. My only concern was that the rooms open to the outside. Given that the Maya is somewhat remote - security hopefully isn't a concern. It wasn't during my stay. My only real complaint about the room was that the bathroom counter space is essentially zero. There's a small glass shelf for placing items but it's very small.

Otherwise, I would be much happier staying at the Hotel Maya if it was priced more in line with its age. This is not a new hotel. The heating/cooling system in the rooms is very old - the floor units having the push button and dial system that most hotels transitioned away from a decade ago or more. Everything outside your room is painted concrete. The elevators are tiny and slow.

Several of my points here aren't easily resolvable by the Hotel Maya and as I noted, I enjoyed my room and my stay very much. If the Hotel Maya was priced competitively to the Hilton Long Beach - I'd stay at the Hotel Maya every time. Unfortunately, the Hotel Maya is generally priced well above the Hilton Long Beach with the Hotel Maya commanding a premium price. That a Doubletree 1 mile away from a full service Hilton is priced 10-20% higher than the Hilton doesn't make sense.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 8, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay and prefer Hotel Maya. We are the only waterfront hotel in Long Beach and the only resort style hotel and thus the difference in pricing with the hotels located across the bridge in the business district of Long Beach. Location is everything they say. I do recommend signing up though for our Hotel Maya newsletter on our hotelmayalongbeach.com website as we offer specials often through that channel. Hope to see you again soon!
Sandhurst, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Perhaps we didn't start off in the best frame of mind after an 11 hour flight from the UK, baggage collection, car pick-up & then set off to Long Beach. It was dark before we arrived. Without our GPS I don't know if we would have ever found the hotel! It's very close to the docks & rather daunting at first.I liked the decoration in the rooms, but they could have been cleaner. The restaurant was very quiet & not particularly welcoming. We were in the garden room for one night & then marina side for a night a few days later. the free shuttle bus to downtown was good & it was also easy to walk over the bridge to Shoreline Village, but I would only have walked it in day light. car parking was $17 per night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, April 5, 2013
I wish you had stayed here on the second day of your trip and not the first. :) I m glad you found it though after your long travels from the UK. Being remote or across the bridge from the rest of Downtown is exactly what makes us so special and resort like. We are an oasis in the heart of downtown Long beach, within walking distance of downtown but far enough away to feel like you are away from the urban hustle of it all. The rest of the city looks back at us and the port while we have an amazing view of the water and city skyline. We also have the city's complimentary bus that runs every 15 minutes from our hotel throughout the downtown area. I truly hope you make it back to enjoy a lengthy and more restful stay with us. I am sure you will love it!
Kansas City, Missouri
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

I wasn't totally sure what to expect with this hotel as it had some mixed reviews prior to the trip. It's a bit tough to find, so make sure you have a GPS when driving to it, but it's well worth the trip. The check process was very speedy, and the room wonderful. Comfy robes, spacious bathroom with nice shower head. Very comfortable bed. The room is spacious too. Best of all, it had a Keurig coffee pot! (For those that read my reviews... one place I always check is the cleanliness of the coffee pot.) The only quirky thing is the furnace/air conditioner looked like it was about to break down any minute; but it did work well. On the flip side, while you get a great water view from the hotel.. there is only one onsite restaurant and I believe it is very expensive. There is only one other place to eat within walking distance, so, have a car (although I believe the hotel shuttle will take you within the near area) to get to the Long Beach pier for good dining. $19/day in parking is extreme, and the ticket machine to get out of the parking lot was a bit troublesome. The breakfast buffet, which was delicious, was a whopping $25 so be prepared for that. All in all. I would stay again if business brought me back to the area.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the feedback. We love the coffeee makers too...Many of our guests love them so much they buy them when they return home.We appreciate you staying with us and hope to see you back here soon!
California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

I loved this hotel, and cannot wait to make a return visit. It takes a lot for me to give rave reviews, but the hotel and location give me reason to rave. Although the port of Long Beach is really industrial, this is like a piece of paradise. First, the warm cookie on check-in was a nice start. The room had great features (keurig and fridge), was fashionably decorated, had a nice view (other side of the hotel would have been nicer facing directly onto bay and Queen Mary, but we still had a bayview and colorfully lit bridge), nice sized balcony. I wish I had more time to enjoy the sandy beach-like area, the pool, the tennis courts, the volleyball court, the gym, the pool/spa. One particularly nice feature was the free city shuttle to downtown, the aquarium, the Queen. The only critique I could give is that voices carried into the room from those going to/from rooms. The room entries are outside (but in an interior court).

Room Tip: Away from elevator.
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, March 31, 2013
Come back now! Thanks for the great comments...next time request a queen mary view at time of booking to see a new perspective.
Las Vegas
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 30, 2013

The staff and location of this hotel that make it what it is. Be sure to get a waterview room to enjoy the view and avoid the noise from the freeway. Being in Long Beach for a conference it took me a day to appreciate what this property has to offer. Initially all I focused on were the outdated aspects of the property. Also, I was concerned about the distance from downtown as taxis were not readily available. In fact I was about to checkout and move to another hotel within the first hour of having checked in.
The lobby is the only aspect I would consider to be "chic". Guest rooms, although clean and maintained, are outdated in terms of style - from popcorn ceilings to plastic aloe vera plants hanging in the rooms. In fact, without the waterview and great attitude of the staff I would have switched hotels. A little more investment could make the rooms very inviting. Also, views (and noise) from rooms within the same room category differ significantly, causing me to move twice before having settled in. I had booked a Deluxe King with water view and the first two rooms had 2/3 of the view blocked by a building.
However, the staff was extremely accommodating with my room moves which enhanced my feeling of being a welcomed guest. Once I calmed down I loved this place! it forced me to slow down, breath and enjoy time away from work. The location provided a getaway experience. The fitness center is well-equiped, pool area inviting to swim or chill, balconies generous in size, and the waterfront walkway great for a run. Only minutes from downtown on the complimentary "Passport" shuttle (runs very frequently), I looked forward to returning to The Maya after each day at the conference. The restaurant, Fuego, was pricey for a Doubletree however the experience was better than anticipated in terms of food and ambiance. Service in the restaurant was friendly, however staff showed no sense of urgency.
For the government rate we paid this property was a good value. However I would not stay here at the regular rate (currently $179) for this property.

Room Tip: Higher floors have less obstructed views. Avoid connecting rooms and rooms overlooking the restaura...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thanks for the comments....we hear a lot from our business travelers that they love this hotel especially returning here after a long day of work. It is like a little vacation snuck into a work day. Come back and spend some down time here.

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!