“Enjoyed my stay but there is room for improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Bed and Breakfast Package
Ranked #11 of 57 hotels in Long Beach
jmargaux
“Enjoyed my stay but there is room for improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

First, I have to say that if I ever come back to Long Beach I would most likely stay at the Hotel Maya again. I really enjoyed the location. I could see the Queen Mary and other cruise ships from my room. I loved going on walks and crossing the bridge toward downtown Long Beach. Parking was a bit expensive, but it was easy getting in and out. The pool area was pretty, and I'm sad that I never got a chance to relax there. Many of the employees were really helpful. The rooms were beautiful though I could have used a bit more light in the bathroom.
The reasons I didn't give it 5 stars are not all the employees were as helpful as they can be. I was inquiring about the bus service towards the convention center, and I felt like the staff person I was talking to couldn't have cared less. I enjoyed the buffet breakfast in the restaurant, but it's certainly not worth $20. I also feel like they rushed me out of there. I was doing a bit of work at the table and the check arrived before I had even finished. We had really great service in the restaurant when we had dinner there, but the food was mediocre.
The hotel is on the verge of being great. It just needs to stay consistent.

Room Tip: Water view is key
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, February 9, 2013
Thank you for the great comments and constructive feedback. We really appreciate it and will follow up on the breakfast staff to slow service a bit. Many of their weekday guests are in a hurry to head to work and so they get caught up in getting people out quickly. This will be a good reminder to slow down. We are happy you liked the rest and look forward to your next stay with us.

681 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
Long Beach, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

The Hotel Maya in Long Beach California is a disaster of the first order. We have had the water shut off during showers and I just returned from work ran a tub of water and stepped into an ice bucket. No one knows why. I have just returned from 2 yrs of traveling, mostly 5 and 6 star resort type properties, however there were many nights in other country's where that was not the case. I have cleaner and better run properties that were barely standing. Some staff are friendly while most don't care and you can tell. They put dirty glasses in the room which we have changed again and again. We live in the area and are buying a home so we wanted some place reasonable cost wise. We are checking out will pay anything to not stay here.

Room Tip: try another hotel
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with family
Thank you for your feedback both here and in person during your stay with us. The hot water heater breaking in your building was an unfortunate incident and our engineering team had it replaced and working within two hours but certainly not a preventable or planned incident. I certainly apologize again. We strive to exceed all of our guests expectations and our failure to meet yours was a disappointment to us all. We will certainly review all of your feedback with our staff to determine what we could do better or differently in the future.
Richmond, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This Place is Awesome!!! Everything you could ever want right at your feet. The hotel and staff were Great. Everyone was very friendly, respectful, and helpful. Take advantage of the Breakfast buffet it was very good and the wait staff were on top of everything. The food in Resturaunt was very good. This is the BEST place I have ever stayed. The location and views are awesome. Free red bus to downtown. The pool and Spa area were very relaxing. I wish the pool bar would have been open, they would have made a fortune, LoL!!! I have already booked again for next year!!! I would reccomend this place to everyone. I agree with Freddie F, get the harbor room!!!

Room Tip: Select a Harbor room
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled with friends
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, February 7, 2013
We are so happy you loved the hotel...why did you leave? Come back again soon. :)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013 via mobile

Get a harbor view room and enjoy your balcony! This comfortable hotel with nice, shady parking is perfect for relaxation. For exercise, it is on a 4 1/2 mile harbor walkway too!
Room service was ood and prompt. I had the delicious seafood creeps one day and the Ceviche trio the next evening with some leftover for breakfast. (I'd stored he leftovers in the in room fridge)
Near to the surprisingly nice downtown of Long Beach with good architecture and restaurants.

Stayed February 2013, traveled solo
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, February 5, 2013
Loved the feedback! The view is breath taking and we are glad you enjoyed it along with the Food and activities in and around the hotel. Hope to see you back here again soon.
anaheim hills
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 1, 2013

This hotel is a mess! I booked 9 rooms here and only 8 reservations were showing. I called Expedia to sort it all out and got my money back, but the hotel staff was rude and unfriendly. The rooms smelled like vomit or dirty feet. The towels were dirty and the bathroom wasn't clean. The bar also charged me $110 that I never signed for or authorized...I didn't even step foot into the bar! I would definitely not recommend staying here and would rather pay extra next time to stay somewhere else!

Room Tip: Dont stay here...plain and simple
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Thank you for your feedback. As you booked through Expedia and paid Expedia not Hilton, those reservations come through a third party so if there is confusion or they missed it, we cant track down what happened as we dont have access to their system. I highly suggest booking directly through the hotel or hotel website on your next stay to avoid these onsite issues. We certainly strive to exceed all of our guest expectations and I apologize that we failed to do so in this case with the bar charge that was signed to your room number and name. Either one of the 9 rooms you had or someone else who knew your name, tried to pawn off their bar charges. We adjusted them off as soon as you brought them to our attention at check out. Every now and then that occurs in large groups as one of the late night partiers tries to stick their charges to an unsuspecting guest. We appreciate you staying with us during your hair show at the convention center and hope to see you back.
Las Vegas, NV
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 30, 2013

The room was likely priced for the view and not the room itself. The amenities appear nice (not used this visit) and the restaurant was of excellent quality, although seemed only MX dishes available. The walls and doors seemed paper thin based on the amount of sound that came through for rooms on either side. It is easy walking distance to the Queen Mary. Staff friendly and helpful. I did not complain about the noise because it didn't appear that there was much difference in the rooms.

Room Tip: ocean view is nice, but fire pits may be noisy. Do not expect quiet rooms.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, January 31, 2013
Thank you for the good comments and the feedback regarding noise. We continue to address noise issues with additional sound proofing throughout rooms and corridors but the hotel is laid out resort style with a lot of fun areas including fire pits, a beach, pool, etc and there tends to be noise as people enjoy the environment around them. We will keep working on it.
Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 29, 2013

Excellent Hotel. Great service from the moment we walked in! beautiful hotel, loved the hookah bar and the fire pits

great public areas great pool except for bar prices at the pool

overall great stay I would suggest this hotel to anyone.

Food was excellent at the restaurant was excellent.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Thanks for the great comments...seems like you had a chance to enjoy all of our fun space from the Hookah lounge to the fire pits to the restaurant and the pool with floating cabanas. Come back soon!

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!