“First no toilet then a room with clogged toilet...GROSS!!!” 1 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Sacramento, California
“First no toilet then a room with clogged toilet...GROSS!!!”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We arrived on December 15 after a long, slow drive through rainy weather from Sacramento. I had just graduated from nursing school that very morning and ecstatic about my 7-day cruise with family. We were assigned to room 3401 and were shocked to find NO toilet in the bathroom! It was completely bizarre so we called the front desk. We were then assigned to room 3301. It HAD a toilet--so my 5-year-old son went to use it. We discovered it was filled with FECES. I immediately flushed it--clearly the housekeeping is substandard! (should have been my first RED FLAG!) It overflowed and we had to call housekeeping to unclog it. Later in the night, it clogged again and the housekeeper did not leave until 1am. We were offered to transfer room but my two children were already asleep! Each time the housekeeper left the room, he did not remove his soiled gloves so he contaminated the doorknob. It was completely disgusting as there was fecal matter over the floor and his shoes were also soiled. We have stayed here many times and had pleasant experiences. But after this encounter, we will NOT be coming back to Hotel Maya. Had the housekeeper thoroughly cleaned the rooms, problems like clogged toilet would have been noted and this room would not have been assigned to guests. This was terrible!

Room Tip: Check the bathroom!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 27, 2012
Thank you for your comments. It is absolutely unacceptable and we are following up on the issue to see what occurred. As you mentioned in your comments you have stayed here many times and have had all pleasant experiences. This is obviously very unusual and not our normal experience here at the Maya. We will be emailing you directly to research it further.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Albuquerque, New Mexico
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I stayed at the Hotel Maya on two different occasions and enjoyed both nights. The rooms were large and comfortable. It is within walking distance to the Queen Mary. I would suggest a ground floor room as they are easier to get too as the property is large and requires a lot of walking. The elevators are small and if you are a large group with a lot of luggage you might not fit. I stayed on both the ground floor and the third floor and enjoyed the ground floor much more. The outside staff is exceedingly friendly and helpful. The dinners at the restaurant are mediocre but the breakfasts were filling and tasty. The warm cookies on arrival are a nice touch. I especially liked the sliding bathroom doors and the Kuring coffee in the room. It was a good experience

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Thanks for the comments. This is such a unique hotel and every room is different and every room has a different view. I like the ground floor as well espcially the ones that open onto the beach but some prefer the top floor rooms with vaulted ceilings. Either way we are glad you liked it and hope to see you again soon!
So. Cal
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

We were welcomed with warm cookies upon arrival. Our room was on the 2nd floor with an ocean view. Had to walk all away around with luggage to get to elevator which was a task. Rooms are modern, mayan inspired and nicely decorated. We had a room next to restaurant which at night was a hangout for a lot of people and I think some people would think it was a little too loud, but we were fine with it. Had the breakfast buffet which was 19.99 a person, which I would have expected freshly cooked omlettes for the price. It did include juice which when we looked at the menu, figured we would be spending 20.00 a person anyways. We enjoyed our stay and would come back in a warmer month to hang out by the firepits and water's edge.

Room Tip: Building 2 was a little noiser because it was close to the restaurant with outside dining.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Glad you enjoyed it! Thanks for the comments and we look forward to your stay this summer. The summer weather is definitely our best time with the pool and beach but the winter brings fun nights as well by the firepits!
Riverside, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2012

My wife and I stayed At Hotel Maya the night before our November 12, 2012 Cruise. We used the Carnival Cruise deal which came with 7 days free parking making this a great bargain. We arrived around 3pm and were greeted with a smile and a warm cookie. The staff answered all of our questions and we were sent off to our room. We opted for the garden view to save money, yet we still enjoyed our view and liked the fact that we were on the fourth floor. We walked around the beautiful grounds with the fire pits and nice pool and jacuzzi area. The Queen Mary and the Port of Long Beach was a lot closer than I thought. We even walked down to the Queen Mary and back before sunset. The next morning their shuttle took us directly to the ship as soon as we asked and gave us their card to call upon returning from our cruise. After we returned, it took their shuttle probably no more than 10 min to pick us up and return us to our car. We had no issues with our particular room and thought it was very clean. We have often cruised out of Long Beach and now I'm really sorry we never stayed here before. We will be cruising again in December 2013 and maybe we'll pay a little extra and spring for a water view and an extra day, it will be worth it!!.....Vincent Russell

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 18, 2012
Great to hear you enjoyed the hotel! We look forward to your 2013 stay and hope to see you back before December. Thanks for the great comments.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

I stayed at Hotel Maya January 2011, and it was amazing. I loved every aspect of it. I was there for the Long Beach ISSE show for cosmetology, and I was just wowed by the entire place. It was my first Doubletree hotel, and it made a huge impact on me. I loved the staff, the hotel, the local cuisine, everything. I didn't dine on site, but I took a leisurely stroll over to Reef, and I was so impressed by the whole setup. :) I'm trying to plan a 1 year wedding anniversary trip for my husband and I coming up in March, and I am really excited to say that I'm planning on coming here! :) The little "town" thing across the street was cute, but it was empty, nobody in any of the shops when I went at about 4pm. A little strange, but the hotel, so impressive! Hoping I can get a good deal on our upcoming stay..

Room Tip: I loved the downstairs room with the view of the water. It was beautiful.
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
Thanks for the review...better late than never. We will take good care of you when you are back!!!!
Phoenix
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2012

We chose this hotel as we were in Long Beach for 1 night to attend a function a the nearby QM. We could not have made a better choice. The hotel is situated on the water, and takes a little to get to, but nothing terrible. The approach and lobby are great, very cool lighting and design. Greeted warmly by the desk clerk by name and checked in immediately. Warm cookies are always nice! Using points, did not expect much and was pleasantly surprised by the room. Over sized and situated on the 4th floor in building 1, we had an amazing view of the harbor and the Long beach skyline. Room itself was large and well appointed. The bathroom is on the smaller side, but was set up nicely. Be warned, the door is a sliding door, so does not shut entirely, but was fine. Closet did not have a door nor closure, so as you walk into the room, you do see the hangars and clothes. Looking closer, the room could use a little bit of a refresh (carpet looked a tad tired). But-these are so minor. Really enjoyed our stay, wish it would have been longer. Will be back to the Maya for any styas in LB. Staff was great, room was fantastic. As we walked to the Queen Mary (they offered to drive us, but is less than a 10 minutes walk along the waterside path), saw the pool area and hotel 'beach'. Looked great!

Room Tip: Ask for a water view room.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, December 13, 2012
We wish you stayed longer too!!!!! come back and make sure you get to enjoy the pool, jacuzzi and the fire pits on our new beach. Thanks for the comments and we hope to see you again soon.
New Jersey
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

What can I say about Maya? I stayed a week here with my son, mainly because I got a great deal. The room had a view of the harbor and downtown Long Beach but it was on the second floor and the view was a little cut off so we couldnt see the Queen Mary off in the distance. The hotel has a nice bar called Fuego and you can tell my the decor that HIlton took over a smaller hotel and is trying to upgrade. It's a nice theme so my grading on it really should be incomplete at the moment. The service was good, the staff friendly. What I didnt like was walking into our room and being hit in the face with a musty type smell. The room itself looked almost completely renovated except for that rug, which looked old and dated and probably contributed to the musty smell. Could probably use a little more drawer space but then again, I always overpack. The complimentary wi-fi was great. However, I probably wouldve preferred to stay a little closer to LA. We're about 30 miles away from anything worthwhile in any direction, be it LA, Disney, Universal so unless you're specifically in the area to see Long Beach, or here for a convention or a short trip, I'd probably stay elsewhere. I reserve final judgement on the hotel in lieu of completed renovations. Im assuming of course, that they will be completing renovations because it would be weird leaving it the way it is now, particularly with that carpet. I think once they do that, I could upgrade to 4 stars.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Thanks for the feedback and certainly glad you liked most of the hotel. The carpets are actually only 3 years old and we just deep cleaned all carpets and furntiure in the rooms with our annual deep cleaning....This is handled by an outside company and the smell might have been caused by the deep cleaning and chemicals we use to clean the carpets. It typically needs to air out after being cleaned. I will check to make sure they are airing out the rooms. Hope to see you back with us soon.

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!