“Beautiful grounds & view; unbearable bed! Noisy” 3 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #13 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Upland, California
“Beautiful grounds & view; unbearable bed! Noisy”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2012

I discovered Hotel Maya when sailing from the marina right outside the hotel. The interior design and grounds are ASTOUNDING, as is the view of the water and downtown Long Beach. So I was very disappointed to discover the bed made it impossible to get a good night's sleep. The bed was so hard it was like sleeping on the floor. I actually left at 2am the second night of my stay because I could not sleep!!!! Other Doubletree hotels have an incredibly comfortable bed, so I was extremely disappointed. Something the hotel could not control, but which ruined my stay was the 24 hr a day dredging of the marina with noisy heavy equipment. Pluses are the great waterview balcony off the room, and the friendly service. Also, too far from my favorite Belmont Shore neighborhood.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, September 3, 2012
Thank you for the comments and we are glad you liked most of it. Luckily the dredging was a once in 20 year project the city was doing and it took a little over a week to complete. I am so sorry it was happening when you were there but I assure you, it won't happen again in the next twenty years! Please email me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so I can figure out what room you were in so we can check the beds. We have great mattresses in general and dont hear that complaint as we just got new ones when we renovated but we do have to replace them every now and then.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (259)
Hemet, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 30, 2012

My first stay at The Hotel Maya. Arrived early for check in and didn't want to wait the 30 - 45 minutes for the room to get ready. The lady at the front desk told me she couldn't check me in and I asked her if there were any other rooms ready as we had to be in Bolsa Chica for a BBQ asap. She replied she had no rooms available. I told her thank you and stepped away from the registration desk to speak to my wife. I returned to the counter and before I had a chance to say one word the lady in a very nasty tone said, I told you I have no rooms available! I looked at her and said I know that you now told me 3 times that's not what I was going to ask you. I was going to ask you could I be sure you would hold the reservation until when we got back late from our BBQ. She replied oh yes sure your guaranteed a room. I told her we will be back late to check in. When checking in the NEW crew at the front desk was great! Very polite very nice I really enjoyed their professionalism. I had a hard time trying to understand how the hotel can charge $17 a night to park your car on their lot. Didn't I just pay over $250 a night this was nuts. No Vallet Parking and I had to park over a block away from my room. Beautiful view very nice room ocean view very clean. It was about 2am when I realized why they put the earplugs in the room 2 sets. 1. The air conditioner was like a tractor driving by when it was on. There was a Baby crying for several hours and a dog barking for quite awhile. Then about 3am some drunk guys kept howling off their balcony. When I checked out the receptionist asked if everything was ok I looked at her and said no it wasn't but I guess that's the way it is around here and she said can I put the $17 parking fee on your Visa. LMAO Ohhh Veigh!

Room Tip: Don't Go!
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with friends
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, September 5, 2012
As we have already followed up with you on Facebook and directly after your email through our website, I am not quite sure what else you would like us to say. You have already threatened to ruin our name all over social media, etc as is common in the world we live in today. We try our best to service all of our guests and to exceed their expectations and we either failed with you or you just enjoy the power of social media. Since you have already told us you have no desire to listen to us or allow us to make it up to you in anyway, we certainly hope you find another hotel that suits your needs.
Palm Springs, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2012

A lot of thought and money was put into this hotel. It is in the perfect location for watching the bay and sunsets. Great ammenities and a wonderful restaurant on site. I also found the noisy air conditioner the only drawback. You had to turn it off to sit on the balcony but the ones in other rooms disturbed the peace of the setting. Will definately return.

Room Tip: Get a water view room above the first floor.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Thanks for the great review and glad you like the property. We are determining a long term solution for AC units and will eventually replace. Hope to see you back again soon!
Henderson, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2012

The hotel is very beautiful and the food quality was wonderful along with the service. The in room A/C to me was the downfall as it seemed to noisy for me to sleep with it on but turning it off made everything okay and it didn't get to warm so there must be another way they set the temperature when one turns off the set. Great View and very quiet.

Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 28, 2012
Glad you loved it...come back soon. The ac are older units and we are working on a solution but glad they didnt bother you. Thanks for the review.
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

Would we stay again - yes - this was already our 2nd time. As many reviewers have already mentioned, the location is great. During summer there is a shuttle boat which is fun to take across to Long Beach. It stops at several locations and only costs $1. When the shuttle is not running, it is a reasonable (I would call it short) walk and a wonderful way to get a bit of exercise. The bad - the carpets need replacing as both rooms we stayed in, had soiled carpets. I doubt whether cleaning them will be enough. Please note that they were not dirty enough to avoid staying at this hotel. Some reviewers complained about the bathrooms but rooms we stayed in had small but nice bathrooms with good water pressure. The air conditioners, as mentioned by others, are noisy but when you are in building 2, it is an advantage as the noise from the restaurant travels up to even the 4th floor. I would recommend ear plugs if you are a light sleeper and go to bed earlybut the view and location makes it worth having to wear ear plugs. at a location like this most people are up until midnight. We are diamond members so received a complimentary breakfast and were able to upgrade to the Sunday Brunch. The service at the restaurant has improved since our last visit. Most of the old staff had been replaced. The restaurant manager was very friendly but they had some kind of general manager in the restaurant the day we were there and he tried to turn us away for breakfast. We insisted on waiting for a table and in less than 5 minutes at least 10 tables were available. I would recommend booking a table through OpenTable even if you are staying at the hotel. The food is good, especially the bar menu which you can use even when dining - huge plus. This is not a luxury hotel so we felt the weekend prices were a bit on the high end but the view is lovely and I think it is one of the best locations in Long Beach so they can get away with the slightly higher prices.

Room Tip: Spend a bit extra on the Deluxe Room. Avoid rooms in Building 2 if you have been traveling and want...
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Welcome back again! We love our return guests as many people come and fall in love with this unique hotel and we glad you have too, It appears you have already explored our Mayan treasures like the water taxi, nearby attractions and Fuego which just got mentioned today on ABC 7 news as one of the most scenic restaurants in LA. Thanks for the review and look forward to welcoming you back..
Las Vegas, Nevada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2012

The hotel and grounds were beautiful. I had requested a room with a view of the water, it was beautiful! We watched the sailboats go by everyday. The rooms were very quiet, and very comfortable. I would love to return to the Hotel Maya

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you Brenda for your great comments. Come visit us again soon!
New York City, New York
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

It was my first time visiting California and I stayed here for about a week with my boyfriend's family last summer. We had 3 rooms, and not one of us had anything negative to say upon check out. A tip I heard for traveling is to always look into boutique hotels for something a little more special. This hotel did not disappoint. It isn't really walking distance from downtown long beach, but as soon as you say 'by the Queen Mary' even taxi drivers in LA and San Diego knew where to take us. Also, it is such a joy to be able to walk over the bridge to long beach's dock area where there is plenty of shopping, restaurants, and boating activities.
The hotel itself has a wonderful seafood restaurant with a beautiful view that was perfect for our first night after checking in. All the rooms were a nice size and everything was always very clean. The grounds are gorgeous as it is obvious a lot of thought went into the decor. The concierge was always very helpful in helping us book taxis or day excursions, like our trip to Catalina Island. The pool area with the little cabanas is very beautiful and a wonderful 'California' feel. The only complaint is that there aren't that many pool chairs and when we did decide to stay at the hotel for the afternoon, it was very hard to get a spot to lie out. There were a lot of little kids running around and splashing but that's just a personal comment from someone who was traveling with no one under the age of 24. Overall, the staff and hotel management really goes the extra step not only in customer service but also in the upkeep of the decor and grounds of the hotel, and it certainly shows. I definitely recommend the hotel for families, couples, business or even if you need a weekend away alone.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, August 21, 2012
Thank you for your your wonderful comments and so glad you enjoyed the Maya. We also added beach chairs on our new 6000 sq ft beach area we built next to the pool. This area still gets cocktail and food service but tends to be less frequented by the kids if you are looking to lay out and read a book, etc. Hope you come back to visit again soon!

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!