“A Lovely Find!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #11 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
San Diego, California
“A Lovely Find!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 14, 2011

This is a great boutique-feel hotel in Long Beach. I expected crazy hustle and bustle since it's in an area with a very busy port but it turned out to be a relaxing oasis! I got to the hotel super early and way before the 3PM check-in time but there was so plenty to do to keep myself occupied. It was a big surprise that the Queen Mary was a short walk away, so I spent some time over there while waiting for the room to be ready.

The room was definitely worth the wait. I got a balcony room overlooking the gorgeous pool and it was lovely. There were people sun-bathing and using the jacuzzi (a bit cold that day for the pool). Room service was prompt and delicious and I was really surprised by the quality of the meal.

I also love the new Citron line Doubletree has started carrying, it's so refreshing!

All in all this is a great property and props to Krystin (I hope I spelled that right) at the Front Desk who was very friendly and caring. Keep up the good work and I hope to be back soon!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 21, 2011
Great! I am so happy to see someone enjoying the Maya exactly how we set it ip...a lovely oasis in the middle of Long beach where you can have a cocktail by the pool , relax on your balcony or take in the nearby attractions like the Queen Mary and Aquarium. come back and visit again soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
Los Angeles
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2011

My daughter is getting married in LB in June and we are looking for a block of rooms for some guests. I started reading the reviews and what impressed me more than anything was the fact that Kristi Allen, the General Manager replies to all the reviews! WOW! Never seen that before! We will definitely be inquiring here rather than the Westin, Hilton, etc.

Stayed November 2011, traveled solo
Thank you for your very kind words...Our guests are the reason we are here and making them happy and satisfied is my job and the job of my team. We look forward to possibly working with you on this wedding!
Ridgefield, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2011

Even after a long day of traveling across the country, the moment I stepped into my room, I felt refreshed. Can it be the warm cookie, the hard wood floors, the large bathrooms, the luxurious linens, the sleek room look and feel? It's always a pleasure staying here.

The outside of the hotel looks kind of strange, but the inside is great. Also, the restaurant onsite is delicious!

Room Tip: At first I was bummed that I didn't have a balcony, but my coworker that had a balcony didn'...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 7, 2011
Thank you for your great comments. That is exactly how we want our guests to feel when they arrive at our hotel. We want to wash away the hassles of traveling and welcome you to our little oasis here at Hotel Maya. Great to hear we succeeded! Please come back and visit us soon.
Los Angeles
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2011

This is not a cookie cutter hotel. It's on the water with great views (ask for a bay view). Each room has a balcony. We scored a last minute upgrade. Everyone was pleasant. Nice area to walk in, pet friendly, decent on site restaurant with beautiful view. The only reason I didn't give it a five star was because it's a regular bathroom -- perfectly adequate -- but not luxurious (which is always a plus). I usually rent suites but this single room was not cramped or boring. The rooms are odd shaped, giving an impression of more size. I would definitely stay here again for business or pleasure. Loved the views of the Queen Mary, cruise ships, a bay full of sailboats and a glittering Long Beach cityscape. Warm cookies on arrival!

• Stayed November 2011, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Thank you for the great comments! I am so glad you were able to get an upgrade at check-in. That is not usually the case on a weekend since we tend to sell out. Our water view rooms are definitely the most popular with our skyline and Queen Mary views. We are glad you enjoyed it and are hoping to see you back here again soon.
florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2011

We stayed here b4 r cruise & LOVED it! We called months ahead & were told it was a block sway from the carnival terminal. However when we got there they said there was no way we could walk there w a toddler & infant. So, they gave us a complimentary shuttle :) The staff were extremely accomodating & the amenities were awesome! We even ate at the Fuego restaurant & it was ultra yummy!

• Stayed October 2011
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, November 1, 2011
Thanks for the great comments and for staying with us. Please come back and stay and bring the kids for a wonderful family vacation in Long Beach. with the Queen Mary and aquarium nearby, it makes for a great mini vacation.
Upstate, NY
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 27, 2011

Stayed one night at the Hotel Maya/DoubleTree. Nice hotel. Could use some upgrades of some of the common areas, hallways, etc., but overall was a good experience. Very nice room with view of the Port. I would not go out of my way to stay here, but for a conference in Long Beach, it was perfectly good. View of the Queen Mary is nice. Restaurant and bar with seating outside is nice as well. Bathroom is recently renovated. Overall a good hotel. I might only give 3.5 stars if that option were available.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 28, 2011
Thank you for staying with us! I hope next time your travels bring you to Long beach, it is more than one night so you can truly enjoy all of the amenities the hotel has to ffer. Come again soon!
Inland Empire, CA
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 25, 2011

We booked this hotel as part of a park-n-cruise special. We were supposed to get a night's stay, parking during our cruise, and a shuttle to and from the cruise port.

Check-in was smooth, and the front desk clerk put us on a schedule for the shuttle the next day. When the bellman (who is also the valet and shuttle driver) was taking our bags to the room, he asked which ship we were on. When we told him, he said that the hotel doesn't provide a shuttle to San Pedro where our ship was leaving from.

I checked back with the front desk to see if they could do anything since we were not told this before (and since the cruise port was only 8 miles from the hotel) but they said we would have to take other transportation. They wanted to have a town car pick us up for $30, but we found out a taxi was less than $25. So now this great deal was costing us $50-60 more.

We stayed on a Thursday night and the hotel seemed pretty empty. The room was nice and the balcony overlooked the marina. The room can best be described as "eclectic" with it's decorations and sliding bathroom door.

The hotel grounds were very nice, and everything was clean. I can't really put my finger on how to describe it other than to say that it was obvious that this was a different hotel that was taken over by Hilton. The pool area was very nice although nobody was using it when we were there.

A really nice perk was that the downtown shuttle bus picks you up right in the hotel parking lot. This bus takes you over to Shoreline Village where there are a ton of restaurants and bars. The bus is free and runs every 10-15 minutes.

Sleeping was difficult here. The walls were super thin, and it was very noisy. You could hear very loud people arriving to their rooms during the night because the rooms surround a courtyard. We were woken up by a couple enjoying themselves loudly, and they sounded like they were in our room!

As others have said, the hotel is out of the way, so be sure to follow the signs.

Room Tip: Ask for a marina view.
  • Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 26, 2011
Thank you for your very detailed comments about the hotel and the surrounding grounds. We are glad you were able to enjoy them during your brief stay. I apologize that you were under the impression that our park and cruise package offered free shuttle to the LA port. We only offer complimentary shuttle service to and from the Long beach cruise terminal though as you mentioned, a taxi is only about $25 to san Pedro and the LA cruise terminal. Please let me know if you read otherwise or if there is misleading info out there on the website where you booked your reservation so we may go and clarify the info. I have reviewed our website and the info is correct. Thank you again and we look forward to your next stay with us!

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!