“A great location away from the crazy LA/Hollywood scene” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
2X Points Package
Ranked #12 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Sydney, Australia
“A great location away from the crazy LA/Hollywood scene”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

Staying here for 1 night in September on a business trip.

After checking in and enjoying the in room amenity and the trademark warm cookie on arrival, we went to the on site restaurant Fuego - amazing food, the degustation which was prepared for us that night was great!

Following on the Hookah Lounge behind the restaurant serves flavoured tobacco in middle east pipes. The atmosphere is great and I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone who is travelling in the area. It would be suitable for wedding parties and a great place to stay at after the function if nothing but to at least have that excuse to stay there.

All the rooms face the Pacific Ocean and the scenery is amazing - from downtown Long Beach all through to the Queen Mary - or was it Elizabeth?

Regardless the location is quiet and there is a great path along the water edge that is accessible for all.

Personally I wouldn't recommend ground floor rooms as they are not enclosed balconies and it seems to be open without gates so anyone can access the property, although you can probably forget this is even the case because the atmosphere is just great.

If you are after crazy party style locations then Long Beach, and definitely the Hotel Maya are not going to be your scene because of location, but if you are not worried about this then definitely stay here.

Room Tip: Building's B and C are best location away from pool and restaurant - tend to be quite quiet.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 19, 2011
Thank you for your great review. I am so glad you enjoyed the hotel and even took advantage of our Hookah lounge. Long Beach is a great destination and a good location if you want to visit Orange county, LA, Hollywood, Disneyland, etc but don't want to stay right in the heart of it. We are about 30 minutes away from just about everything. Long Beach itself has lots to see with the Queen Mary and the Aquarium of the Pacific. I hope your travels bring you back to Long beach soon!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (273)
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

Admittedly I was cranky upon checking in. My reservation was at the Hilton, but they moved me to the Maya due to be over sold. I found the location just plain out of the way, and late at night it was not a fun route. Upon arrival, the driveway was empty, no greeting, just some cones and tape to cover some damage to the driveway, and a big door. The lobby was nice and the check in dude was just a tad spacey. Must have been the same guy as previously noted in another review.
I was only there for one night, but it was not bad. The motel aspect of the place is the most off putting. the individual buildings need a lot of TLC to be brought up to standards. Chipped paint, dirty floors, and broken ice machine in the common areas.
The room was big and well appointed. Even had a Kurig! The bathroom was nice, the bed was comfortable, and the view from the balcony was nice.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 17, 2011
I was sorry to hear that the Hilton Long Beach walked you to the Maya and you were dissapointed that we were not the typical high rise urban hotel that they are. We are definitely not for everyone as we are a very unique waterfront low rise boutique hotel spread out among 14 acres. The buildings were originally built about 30 years ago however we spent about $26 million renovating them into a Mayan themed resort in 2009 with boutique type furnishing and luxury touches like our Kuerig coffee makers and our stereo systems. Most of our new guests we are able to win over with our floating cabanas by the pool or a few margaritas in Fuego, our waterfront latin inspired resturant but it appears that you may not have had time to enjoy them during your stay with us. Come back another time specifically to relax and I assure you we will change your opinion. I am hoping it was just due to your frustration of being walked late at night. Thank you for your feedback though. I will certainly check the ice machines and see if any are having issues.
Arizona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 16, 2011

The hotel was a tad hard to get to but once there all went smoothly. Every staff member we encountered was pleasant and helpful. The warm cookies were wonderful. The room was nice and good sized. We had a 4th floor balcony room in building 3 with a view which was nice. We did not take the time to enjoy it as much as we should have. The towels in the bathroom were nice. There was an ironing board and iron, bathrobes, a room safe, and a coffee maker. We did not go to the pool area so I cannot comment about that. The free Long Beach bus stops right at the property and was a short easy ride to some dining options. The air conditioner seemed a little loud but it did not keep us awake! We did eat breakfast at the hotel. It was pricey, but I imagine no more so than at any other hotel. We're just not big breakfast eaters, but needed a little something before heading to the cruise ship. The breakfast items started at about $15 if I recall properly. It was a Sunday morning so they also offered a buffet. It was $20 and included juice or coffee or tea (maybe juice and coffee or tea?).

We would stay here again!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your comments and I am glad you enjoyed it. We love our Pre-cruise guests and they always love staying here due to our close proximity to the cruise terminal however I find that they always wish they stayed longer. You must return and spend some time next time lounging by the pool with a Pina colada in hand. We look forward to your return.
London, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

The hotel's main building from the front looks really up market and impressive and inside it really is but the actual buildings where the rooms are are separate and are almost motel style open buildings that don't look very nice, especially when you arrive late at night and it's cold and windy. The actual room itself we were upgraded to as we were on honeymoon and it was very large in terms of floor space but there was absolutely no room for storage of clothes etc, I had to just pile mine on the floor in the end. We did have a lovely view across the harbour and the service at reception and in the bar was really good. Also bear in mind the hotel is some distance away from things and is not easily accessible although there is a free bus service that goes via the hotel to Long Beach so it's not too bad. Overall it was not a bad hotel by any stretch, just not as amazing as I had expected.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind words in regards to your Honeymoon stay here. The Maya was the first hotel built here in Long Beach over 30 years ago however we went thorugh a 26 million dollar renovation in 2009 and re-themed the hotel as the Hotel Maya. We are a latin inspired resort style hotel spread out over 14 acres with a beautiful pool and seveal outdoor fire pit lounge areas but the 5 story circular outdoor corridor guest room buildings often surprise some who expect a high rise or urban style hotel. I apologize that we did not clearly get that communicated through our website but was glad to see you still enjoyed both your stay and the surrounding areas. I am curoius to know what room you stayed in because all of our rooms have a generous sized closet in the entry foyer as far as I know. Please email me directly at kristi.allen@hilton.com so I may investigate your room to see if the room layout can be improved for storage. Thank you again and we hope to see you back again on your first anniversary.
Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2011

Stayed here for 4 nights while on honeymoon at the beginning of sept. Loved the hotel rooms, spacious and comfy, with bathrobes too. Buffet breakfast was great, absolutely fab, but was only served one morning while we were there as the hotel was too quiet other mornings. But menu options also excellent. Staff very friendly. Shuttle bus to downtown very handy and frequent.
My only fault was with the pool area , it's kinda separate from main hotel area and not overlooked. As far as I could tell some people who were not hotel guests regularly came in and used the pool facilities. They seem to be people - men - whose boats were in at the Marina. Took over hot tub and stayed ages , were quite sleazy , staff seemed to be ok with it. Would put me off going back.Also bar was never open at pool had to call room service which took ages and had hefty enough delivery charge. Otherwise great hotel.

• Stayed September 2011
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 11, 2011
I am glad you loved all of the hotel but concerned you had an issue with the pool. I have not heard anything about pool crashers and will immediately look into your comment s about them. The marina guests in general rarely come to the pool and are very nice. I will look into the crowd that you said were at the pool because it seems like a one time thing and not a regular crowd. I hope you come back and get to enjoy our hotel again soon and the pool the way it is usually.
Northern California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2011

We went for a deal that was via Travelzoo.com and it was well worth it. The hotel at first didn't seem all that when we first drove in but the inside is nice! and the accomodations are great! the hotel rooms were modern and pretty. Decorated really nice! I don't know why I thought this was beach area but I was wrong. You are near the water (cruise central), but there is no beach. The free shuttle is a great addition to the hotel. It will drop you off to go eat and shop. The local Hooters had mid week specials and the burgers were great! We went shopping and then hopped on the shuttle to get back to the hotel. The shuttles go back and forth every 5 minutes until midnight. The hotel's restaurant was amazing. I am picky and this was the shiznit! I definitely would go again. Especially if your going with your honey. The only down side was it was summer and the air conditioner made so much dang noise. It was distracting. My husband is a light sleeper so he didn't sleep well.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled with family
We are so glad that many of our guest's discovered the Hotel Maya and Fuego during the Travelzoo promotion and fell in love with the hotel. We definitely like to think we have something special here. Many of our guests are return guests who come several times a year. We hope that you are now one of them! Thank you again for choosing us and for your very nice comments above. We look forward to your next stay with us.
Crescent Ctiy, CA
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2011

Stayed at the Hotel Maya for a conference held there. I have to say that this hotel's online pictures are little deceiving. This place is in need of a lot of TLC. It has the feel of a very used hotel that hasn't been maintained to the standard you'd expect with this chain.
The hotel sits between the end of the 710 freeway and the harbor. It is conveniently located to the Queen Mary and the ferry dock, an easy 5 minute stroll. Virtually every room has a view of somekind, which is nice, however the cleanliness of the room was nonexistant. I wear slippers in hotel rooms, and the bottom's of my slippers were black by the time we left. The carpets were GROSS!!!!! It must be years since they have been cleaned. Balcony floor was sticky, and the bathroom floor obviously hadn't been cleaned before we were there, as there was quite a bit of hair on the floor, and toothpaste in the sink.
There is limited dining venues within the hotel's walking area and they are quite pricey, But there is a nice free bus service that runs from the hotel to downtown Long Beach so you can get to some more reasonably priced places to eat. Be wary of where your going, as the bus makes a circle, and it does go into an area that seems a little undesireable. Also note that the bus returning from downtown Long Beach will stop right in front of the Queen Mary, and the bus drivers are required to take a 15 minute break. Some drivers tell you this, others are rude and just stop the bus, turn off the engine and start to read a book. It was weird, but we got off and walked back to the hotel. There's a nice lighted path.
All in all not bad, but certainly not as nice as I was expecting.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
701LongBeach, General Manager at Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel, responded to this review, October 7, 2011
Thank you for your comments in regards to your recent stay with us. I am glad you were able to tour long beach on the complimentary passport shuttle. The Queen Mary next door has nine different restaurant experiences next door ranging from a bakery, ice cream shop, coffee shop, cafe to fine dining and a chowder house. We always recommend to our guests who may not want to stay in the hotel for all meals to take this short walk to the Reef restaurant next door or the Queen Mary next to them to enjoy a great meal. I apologize that your carpet was dirty. I assure you that we deep clean the carpets monthly and vaccum them daily however with the waterfront location in the port, most guests leave ther patio doors open and we get what we call a layer of port dust in the corridors and on the balconies that are easily tracked inside. This is a constant battle we are fighting and will continue to fight as we will not be moving our location anytime soon. Thank you for pointing it out to us and we will re-double our efforts on the carpet cleaning front. We hope to see you back in Long Beach and at the Maya soon and you can tell us how we are doing.

Been to Hotel Maya - a DoubleTree by Hilton Hotel? Share your experiences!