“Nice remodel awesome amenties, but...” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #19 of 58 hotels in Long Beach
Templeton, CA
“Nice remodel awesome amenties, but...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2010

Where is the blasted Wi-Fi??
We stayed here a few years ago, as we have family about 2 miles East AND 3 miles north of here, so the location was ideal. We also make a habit of sticking to Marriott hotels as often as possible for a couple of reasons.
1): We always, ALWAYS know we're staying somewhere that customer satisfaction is #1. PERIOD. If you have a problem (We NEVER do), someone over that persons head will have their head.
2): Marriott Rewards. We stayed at this hotel for about $75 because of our points, and we probably stay 1-5 nights a year in hotels, tops.
Anyway, the finishing touches. fixtures, etc have since been NICELY redone since our last stay. FULL SIZE refrigerator, stove, oven, microhood, and dishwasher. Not hotel standard size, home standard size, from a matching GE collection, and in stainless steel. Nice cabinetry for apartment or hotel. Not top shelf by luxury home standards, but definitely not hotel grade either. VERY nice by hotel standards.
Now after all this, I still have to ask: WHERE'S the Wi-Fi?? I can go sit in a McDonalds parking lot and get free Wi-Fi, but not in my room, in a Marriott?
The other thing was the mattress. it felt like the big air bag stunt men land on when they jump off of tall buildings, and I felt like I was going to roll off the edge if I got too close. ABSOLUTELY hotel grade, which is bottom shelf. They could have used cheaper kitchen appliances the same size and bought a better mattress. I also would have loved a balcony. There is a slider leading to an unfenced outside for downstairs rooms, and upstairs rooms the slider leads to a 4 INCH balcony. But there isn't much they can do about that now, I suppose. :-) Other reviewers have mentioned the free parking, but I consider this an absolute standard, and I never have, and never will vary from that standard. I'm the type that will pay $50 more a night before paying $5 for parking when I'm already paying for the room. Luckily, the parking here was free, excellent, and the layout made it very easy to park near your room.
So to re-cap an overly long review:
PROS:
Beautiful appliances
Clean rooms
Nice fixtures
Well maintained
Good parking
Marriott service
Reliably good.
CONS:
No balcony/patio.
Flimsy mattress.
NO WI-FI !!!!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Chicago, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2010

We were recommended for Residence Inns by a family member. We got into Long Beach after an exhausting day and found the room clean and useful. We had a king bed and a pull out couch that worked well for a mom and two teenagers. The kitchen had everything (fridge, microwave, oven, pots and pans, etc.). That, coupled with the extensive continental breakfast, really cut down on our food costs. There was a nice desk and the TV worked well. The downside was that the only internet in rooms is through a cable, but it worked well and there was wireless in the lobby. It was too cold for the pool but it looked very nice.

Location was nice - we had a rented car and most things were about 20-30 minutes away. Not much in Long Beach, but the area seems safe enough. The staff was very kind and helpful. The fireplace was nice.

Only other downside is that to get to the lobby you had to walk outside.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
New York City, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 9, 2010

Overall a nice and fairly comfortable 2 night stay. I had mistakenly booked for the Residence Inn Anaheim/Garden Grove and was worried that I would be penalized for the first night's stay. However, I was pleasantly surprised that I was able to cancel the room without being charged since I was still staying at another Residence Inn. It was a nice sized room with pretty comfortable king sized bed and pull out couch. Bathroom and tub were very clean (no mold or moldy smell whatsoever). The toilet/bath was separated from the sink area by a pocket door but no door to separate that area from the rest of the room. That made it hard to sleep if someone needed to use the sink. The kitchenette had a full sized fridge, electric stove with oven, microwave, dishwasher, coffee maker and plenty of cabinets filled with plates, pans, and utensils. Other positives- a huge flat screen LCD tv and even a fireplace (logs are available at front desk for a nominal fee).

Complementary breakfast was adequate and filling (served weekdays at 6AM and weekends at 7AM). They served Egg-beater-type scrambled eggs, sausage patties, pancakes, make-your-own waffle station, assortment of bagels/pastries and a variety of cold cereals. Coffee and tea were served all day.

Front desk staff was very cordial - check in and out were quick and easy. Security was present at the hotel's entrance during late evenings basically to screen out non-guests.

Overall the pros:
clean tub/bathroom
cordial front desk staff
free parking w/security at night
free (wired in room) internet
full kitchenette
proximity to Long Beach airport

cons:
bathroom/vanity layout
no in room wifi
local area

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2010 via mobile

When you stay at a hotel, you expect great customer service. But this Residence Inn by Marriott lacks it. You would think that this brand hotel would have great front desk clerks and managers right? The hotel doesn't. I have stayed in non-brand hotels before and their service was excellent, from the front desk to the housekeepers. I would think twice before staying here.

• Stayed October 2010
Cincinnati, OH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

Stayed at Residence Inn Long Beach on 9/25 while visiting family in the Long Beach area. Needed a hotel near the airport and liked the fact that the rooms were larger than usual. There was also the added benefit of having a full kitchen (fridge, stove, dishwasher, microwave) available including utensils, pots/pans, and dishware. The breakfast buffet in the morning was good with several options such as do-it-yourself waffles, eggs, biscuits and gravy, cereals, and yogurt. I had read multiple reviews on Tripadvisor and was worried when I booked this hotel, but overall had no negative things to say about the stay. We had 2 rooms and both were equally comfortable and accomodating.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled with family
Portland, Oregon
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2010

As soon as we went into the room you could smell mold. It was sooooo bad that we asked for another room, that too smelled of mold but not as bad (we asked for some air freshener.) The ice machine in the fridge didn't work and we called down to the lobby they said that to try to fix the ice machine....which my husband tried. And had to call them again to bring us some ice because the fridge was broken and we went without ice for hours. I would never stay at this place ever again.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Palm Springs, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2010

I’m a frequent traveler and Marriott Reward Member. I have stayed at this hotel on many occasions when I fly out of Long Beach Airport. However, it has been over three months since I last stayed at this property. The rules apparently have changed in regards to room fees.
Upon my arrival, I checked in as usual, gave my license and credit card. I had made my reservation on the Marriott website earlier that afternoon. I went up to my room and noticed on the inside of the card key jacket a red noticed stapled to it. The notice read: Debit Card Information: If you choose to use your debit card at check in instead of a credit card, please be aware that the funds we hold of room and tax plus a $250.00 security deposit will show up as a charge on your account. They money will not be available for use to you until the hold is released. At check out, the unused funds are release automatically. However, the bank often takes 3-5 business days to release the funds. Thank you.
Now, I've seen this before at a few other properties and I'm not a fan of basically charging me $450 a night for a room, though I understand the principal, especially in Non Smoking properties.
What infuriated me was the following: Upon seeing the notice, I realized that I had given the man at the desk my debit card instead of my credit card so, not wanting them to hold the cash out my account, I scurried down immediately and asked them to take my credit card since he did not mention this 'hold' when I checked in. I believe strongly that all desks clerks should make guests aware of this policy prior to running their cards. He would not take my credit card because he said it didn't matter. They were going to charge me the deposit regardless of credit or debit. I said that isn't what this notice says and he said, 'Again, regardless, there was nothing they could do." I admit I became more than annoyed. I asked them when this policy had changed because this was the first time I had this happen to me at a Marriott property. He said a few months ago.
I even asked the gentleman who was checking in at this time if he knew he was being charged. He said no, but had heard of it. So, I assume, this is a don't ask, don't tell property.
Apparently, I'm the only one who has ever complained about this policy. I have to wonder if anyone every notice their bank accounts are being held hostage for a few days without their notice.
Again, I understand the principal but what should have happened here were two major things that I believe should keep you from using this property.

1. The guests should be made aware of the deposit policy prior to the debit card being used so if the customer, like me, accidently gives you a debit card instead of credit card, this is caught.
2. If you are going to state in writing that this is a debit card issue, then you should be able to delete the debit card transaction if a credit card is presented to you within fifteen minutes of your check in.
This property is now charging me $450.00 a night to stay here. Who knows when I'll get the extra $250.00 back?
This is a property that used the words, "regardless of what happened at check in, I cannot help you, and “instead of” I’m sorry this happened, but it won't be possible to change it. Here is my manager's number."
I had to get angry and ask for the manager's number so I could issue my compliant.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Long Beach? Share your experiences!