“An average experience but I usually expect more from Marriott.” 3 of 5 stars

Hotel deals
Special Offer
Free Parking
Ranked #19 of 58 hotels in Long Beach
“An average experience but I usually expect more from Marriott.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is located next to the Long Beach airport, so it is a convienient location for business travelers. However, if you are vacationing in Long Beach, this hotel is about fifteen miles from downtown and the beach and there is little to do near this hotel. Consistent with other Marriotts this hotel was clean and the check-in staff was friendly and efficient. However, the exterior of the property ideducted, and a bit run down and needs a make-over. Our two bedroom suite was actually one large open room with loft and no doors, so if you are traveling with friends, you will not have any privacy. Also, get to breakfast as soon as possible, they do run short on items since others guests seem to believe a famine is evident and stockpile large quantity of food in their rooms. Overall, an average experience but I usually expect more from Marriott.

• Stayed June 2012

102 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2012

We were here for 4 nights, in town for our granddaughter's High School Graduation. The location is very convenient right off the 405, but without any freeway noise. The grounds are well kept, with plenty of parking, a nice pool and a pretty extensive breakfast. My wife and I stayed with her son and his family (2 kids), so the 2 bedroom arrangement worked well and saved us money over getting two separate rooms. Having the full kitchen and a few evening "meals" provided at the evening "social" didn't hurt either. There are a couple gas stations nearby, and the location is fairly central to a lot of SoCal attractions.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Homestead, Florida
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

We had another trip to Long Beach for an extended stay from April 20 - April 29. When I reserved this stay, I relayed the experience we had the last time we stayed and it was noted on the reservation. The Residence Inn upgraded us to a "Penthouse Suite" for our stay. The room itself was nice and relatively clean, however a bit dated.

The carpet was worn down to fibers in a few places and the furnishings had seen better days, but the bed was comfortable - the pillows not so much. The kitchen was stocked with the usual assortment of supplies. Over the course of the stay, we were able to utilize the kitchen with no issues, although dish soap would have been nice to have (as with other Residence Inn locations we have stayed at).

Another item was the toiletries. Again, we sort of expected the usual compliment we have had at other locations and were disappointed. Also, we found that not all used items were replaced. Sometimes items were replaced, sometimes, not. There seemed to be no pattern. Other than this, housekeeping made daily stops and, for the most part, cleaned the rooms. There were a couple times you could tell the activity was cut short (no vacuuming or complete cleaning of the hard surfaces). The room was neither dirty nor unattended, simply not to the usual standards as other Residence Inns.

We had breakfast every morning, but discovered that we had to go down around the time it started to ensure we could get most all the offerings. They emptied quickly and were not filled. Most of the time, it was people who had no consideration for their fellow guests - taking plates of one item at a time. The social hours were available, however we were only able to take advantage of 2 of them due to our schedule. Again, most of the issue fell to inconsiderate guests and the hotel not keeping up with that.

Around the second day, we found the sink in the second bathroom had no hot water. The shower did as well as the other bathroom and the kitchen. We brought this to the attention of the front desk and by that afternoon, it was working, so the hotel responded quickly to a concern.

On a side note (and not the hotel's issue) was what seemed to be some kind of issue with some underage folks. One night, I was outside and noticed several young folks run out of one of the buildings and within seconds, the fire alarm claxon and strobe activated for that building. There were several guests who came out of their rooms to see what was happening, and after some time, the alarm silenced. Again, this was not the hotel, but I was dismayed to see no apparent response from the hotel to it (no security, no management). It seemed to be some prank by young people. Along this same line, was a guest who felt the need to pull their truck with trailer crossways into several parking spaces in front of our building. This ensured anyone staying in the building had to park in front of another building (which would have created a domino effect for parking). It would have been nice for the hotel to take the lead and ask the guest to park in a more appropriate spot.

In a nutshell, the hotel is conveniently located, the rooms acceptable and clean, but the staff has a hands off approach and the guests can be inconsiderate. I know the hotel is not responsible for the guests, but I feel they could intervene from time to time to curb some of this behavior. We would still stay here, we just have a better understanding of what to expect.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Wayland, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 27, 2012 via mobile

We just stayed here one night on Memorial Day weekend. Was great but many families at breakfast. Get there early as many were bringing food back to there rooms. We didn't eat as the ran out of most of the foods.

Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Vacaville, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 22, 2012 via mobile

My Husband and I recently stayed at this Residence Inn prior to our Cruise on April 16. Our experience was positive. The room eas very clean, quiet, we never felt unsafe, and breakfast was great! Check in was a breeze and my reward points were honored here. The breakfast was pleasant and plentiful. Location was about 15 minutes to Carnival cruise port. Only downside was that WiFi is not available in the rooms, only in their lobby.

Stayed April 2012
prescott
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 16, 2012

Eric was very pleasant and checked us into our room early, which after driving 6 hrs was a plus. Breakfast was good and the villa was clean. Nancy was very informative and increased my knowledge on the surrounding area. Never felt unsafe and if there was security I never seen them, but I think that would state the property is on top of the issues they might be having. Thanks for a great stay.

Room Tip: Front of the property is a good choice
  • Stayed March 2012, traveled with friends
Indio, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed March 12, 2012

I stayed at this property for the 1st time and as soon as I got there i regret it so much. I went with my family on family vacation to Disneyland and California. The check in was fast but i was told at check in they were going to hold $300 deposit plus the room charge. They said it was for incidentals. I paid with my Visa card. I wasn't told this at booking time. Surprise!!!! thank god i had the money in my account. There was security 2 men they looked like they weren't even doing their job. They were letting people in alot of young party goers. They seem pretty crazy. they were so load my newborn and 8 year old couldn't sleep with noise security didnt even do anything. the breakfast wasnt great. the food would go fast and they took a while to put some more. The room was okay except the bathroom door i didnt like it would lock itself and get stuck. also housekeeping i requested a few extra items and i gave her a $20 tip to make sure she brought all the items as i came back from disneyland i noticed she didnt bring a single extra item i requested so i basically paid her for doing nothing!!! at check out i asked for a folio to be emailed to me so far i havent received it. this will be the last time i stay at this marriott. Don't go there unless you dont want to sleep also you will not feel safe.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
kbennet, General Manager at Residence Inn by Marriott Long Beach, responded to this review, March 14, 2012
Thank you very much for your review. We appreciate all types of feedback as it allows us to provide better service to our guests. Nothing is more important to us than the safety of our guests and I will be personally following up with our security team to ensure that this doesn’t happen again. I will also discuss your comments with our housekeeping department to review our guest service policy. If you’d like to discuss this further please feel free to contact me directly. Best Regards, Lucas Fiamengo, General Manager

Been to Residence Inn by Marriott Long Beach? Share your experiences!