“safe, clean, basic accommodation” 5 of 5 stars

Tower Motel Long Beach
2.0 of 5 Motel   |   421 West Pacific Coast Highway, Long Beach, CA   |
Ranked #30 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Nashville, Indiana
“safe, clean, basic accommodation”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2012

Hotel was very clean, check in/out was a breeze, management stored my bag for the afternoon after check-out. Neighborhood is poor, but not desperate. I felt very safe, even at night. Lots of delicious, inexpensive resturants nearby; Vietnamese, Mexican (including a nice Hispanic grocery with a pollos al carbon stand on weekends), and others.
I booked a return, Close to the Metro and a pleasant walk to downtown Long Beach and nearby Cambodia Town. You could pay a lot more and get a lot less. I was a solo male traveler (age 52, small town midwestern white guy), but would bring my family (wife and teen daughter) back with me. Again, not a scary or dangerous neighborhood.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (12)
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011 via mobile

The area sucks. The managers are alright I guess...not to friendly. The room though, was exceptionally clean and rhe bed was nice and high...the wall had mirrors. Check outs a little early. Overall it was good for the price.

• Stayed March 2011
Chicago, Illinois
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 29, 2011

Did not read reviews before accepting this motel. Pulled up to this so called 5 out of 5 points motel at 10:00 at night and it looked like the sixteen motel rooms were situated in a brightly light alley behind a motor shop. “Okay self, you did not check things out first so make a go of it”. Went to the room after check-in and turned on the lights to see an eight foot by ten foot room with no closet. It looked nicely decorated with a well decorated bathroom. Okay. Turned around and saw something scampering across the bed. “What is that? A roach! Oh no, I am done.”
I went to management and asked for my money back for the three nights. He asked to see the roach. “Okay”. Of course, by the time we went back to the room the roach was gone. “I don’t see no roach” the manager said .I suppose that I could have killed the roach as evidence of my claim, but I did not come 2000 miles to stomp roaches. His solution? He offered me another room, because they have a NO REFUND policy. “You are kidding? If the room has roaches the property has roaches and I have NO ROACHES where I come from”, I retorted. I just want my money back. Request denied.
BUYER BEWARE. If you insist on this one, try one night at a time. As for me? I don’t sleep with roaches…ever! Money lost lesson learned.

Room Tip: rooms are in an alley.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
West Covina, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2011

Despite the fact that from the outside it looks like something straight out of an Alfred Hitchcock movie, it wasnt too bad for the price.

The room was a good size, everything was clean. There was TV/Cable, free wifi, fridge, microwave and the usual stuff. They even left out 2 bottles of water and a packet of cookies for free. Bathroom and vanity area was nice and clean, with the expected necessities.

Parking is limited, maybe 10-15 spaces. When i came back late at night, i got the last space luckily. Other reviewers have mentioned that its in a dodgy area and whilst that is true, i think if you have a car its no worry. Probably not wise to wander around the area late at night lol.

For the price, it was worth paying for an overnight stay.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled solo
Aylesbury, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2011

Reading previous reviews about this place, after I'd already booked it, made me a bit worried. I must say, the rooms do smell, you do hear gun shots at night and it is in a pretty run down area, but the actual room (apart from the smell, you get used to it) is fine. Nice interior and very clean, with a comfy bed, and the free WiFi is great, fast connection. We were only here the one night, that's all I think you need really, it's fine for a stop over, cheap and easy to find from the free-way. Just don't go wondering around after dark.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Prague, Czech Republic
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 12, 2011

Room was clean, Bathroom also. Very good Price in Long Beach/LA.
The problem was only the morning noise on the street.

• Stayed April 2011, traveled as a couple
Manchester, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 1, 2011

We stayed in this motel for five days as part of a trip around west coast USA. What attracted us was the price (cheaper than most in the greater Los Angeles/Long Beach area. It is located off the Pacific Coast Highway in a fairly convenient location for all the famous sights in the area.

THE ROOM
The room itself was very basic but clean and tidy, had 2 large double beds and an en suite bathroom. The shower was over the bath but was fairly powerful. The room had air conditioning but it was VERY noisy and not that efficient. The motel had other conveniences such as ice etc.
and. A bonus of staying there was that pastries were left with the coffee making facilities and all were replaced on a regular basis. This made for a handy breakfast substitute when we were in a rush.

THE MOTEL IN GENERAL
The motel in general was fairly quiet, apart from at 6am when we were awoken daily by loud talking in the room next door. The large "No prostitutes sign on arrival was quite off putting. The hotel manager was South Asian and didn't speak much English. I would have had no issue with this if I had been prepared, but you don't really expect this in Urban California! So communication was fairly difficult and he seemed very unsure of how to deal with the my booking confirmations or how much to charge me. Despite this he was very nice and did his best to help. My other minor gripe about the motel was that free wifi was advertised. We did everything to try and connect to this using the passwords provided, but to no avail. I have a Nokia smartphone that has never had any difficulty connecting previously.

THE AREA (the motel is located in, NOT Long Beach itself)
Now we live in South Manchester so we are used to crime etc but I have to say that at times I felt rather unsafe while staying at the Tower motel. I don't think my fears are unfounded because on three separate occasions we saw people being arrested, including one in the motel carpark! There is a very cheap Mexican supermarket down the road-excellent for stocking up but it was disconcerting to see people openly selling drugs out of the boot of their cars. Finally the other problem is that the motel is a long way from downtown Long Beach so eating out etc is difficult and if you don't want to go without a drink (we were on holiday after all), you are limited to fast food and beer from the 7/11.

I would however, still recommend this motel to those on a budget. Just don't go out alone after dark and keep your wits about you.

TRIPS/THINGS TO DO IN THE AREA (this is what we did)
Hollywood, Grauman's theatre, Greek Theatre, Griffith Observatory, Beverly Hills, Rodeo Drive, Sunset Boulevard, Mulholland Drive, Sony studio tour, Long beach harbour, Queen Mary, Whale and dolphin watching, Santa Monica Pier, Muscle Beach, Venice Beach, Malibu

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Tower Motel Long Beach? Share your experiences!