“Great small hotel, nice location” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
GreenLeadersBronze level
Waimea, Hawaii
“Great small hotel, nice location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

I like this smaller hotel. The location is great. Staffing seemed to be an issue though. We had breakfast in the restaurant, but waited a while for food and the restaurant was empty! Come to find out that our waiter was also the room service attendant. That seemed odd to me, that they didn't have a dedicated room service attendant.

But it's quiet and homely. Different from the Regency across the way. But I also like that place also.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (119)
Fort Collins
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

We were there on a girls trip and loved the location. We were able to walk around the Pike and enjoy the entertainment available. The hotel was quiet and clean. The parking structure wasn't an issue although it was, at times, busy.

Loved the roof top pool...again very quiet, which is what we were looking for in a hotel. We didn't eat at the restaurant or go to the bar lobby, but really no one did. It was very quiet. If there were people in the bar we would've gone in..but didn't feel the need to sit alone. The drink specials were high priced..I would suggest making a Happy Hour price enticing for people. It was such a cute a place...it's ashame it was so dead.

Overall, the room was clean the beds were comfortable and it was perfect for our long girls weekend! Thank you!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends
San Francisco, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 4, 2013

Hi Jason:

I wanted to provide you some feedback regarding my recent stay at your property. I had asked to speak to the GM, but no information was provided to me. If you can please make sure that your GM does receive the feedback, it would be greatly appreciated. I would also like some follow-up as well.

1. My experience started when I received an email from your "VIP" manager - Melissa welcoming me to the hotel and offering me airport transportation, which was sort of funny because I live in LA and she could have identified this fact if she had looked at my profile. I had asked some routine questions but was never afforded any replies back from Melissa. This was disappointing as a Diamond Guest, because I typically receive some sort of communication from the hotel prior to my stay to ask if there are any needs that I may have.
2. I booked my reservation online as I often do. I upgraded to a suite using my awards, and someone at the hotel charged my AMEX again for the reservation when it was already completed. This issue did get worked out through the Diamond line and someone at your hotel.
3. Upon arriving at the hotel, I eventually discovered that there was no valet parking for hotel guests and I was to park in the parking structure. That is fine. The issue that I had was during the weekend when everyone decided to come visit the Pike, finding parking was a nightmare in itself. The hotel should have arranged an area for guests to park at the structure so that they were not inconvenienced by the fact that they had to fight for parking during busy times, or allow Diamonds and Platinum guests the ability to park in Valet.
4. Upon arriving in room, there was no bottled water available. Upon trying to call the front desk, operator, guest services - I received a busy signal. I had to walk down to the front desk to ask for bottled water. I made the request to Rachel that bottled water be placed in the room daily - that request went in one ear and out the other. I had to ask for water every day during my stay.
5. I will say the rooms are well appointed and very comfortable and relaxing.
6. The air conditioning worked great the first night, and after that stopped working properly. I requested that it be fixed, and that request went nowhere.
7. I discovered that the restaurant was not full service and only served breakfast and dinner. Instead we had to eat on the deck where it was very hot and humid.
8. It is apparent that your hotel is not connected into the Hyatt system, because none of my profile requests were adhered to. I do not like turn down service. The first night as I was taking a nap, I was inconvenienced by the ringing door bell. I informed the woman that I do not care for turn down service the entire stay, as it is in my profile. She said she would note that. The second night, everything was good. The third night - we went out to dinner and returned to the room completely serviced. Not happy.
9. The hallways were very dirty. There was spilled nuts and crumbs outside a room that stayed there for 2.5 days. I took a photo of it if you would like it. The hallways were generally dirty and no one vacuumed them whatsoever. Outside our room we had almonds sitting there during the entire stay. The bathrooms in the lobby were horrifying - they were very dirty, lots of trash over flowing, toilets dirty. Not a good sign for a Hyatt property.
10. One night we did eat at the restaurant. There was one other guest there finishing her meal. There was 1 server working. The server took our order and then come to find that he had double duty and had to deliver room service meals. We waited 30 minutes for our food. Unacceptable service for Hyatt. If you are going to staff your dinner service with the notion that your server is going to handle room service, you need to have a dedicated server for the dining room.
11. Whomever is handling staffing in the hotel needs training. Per #10 above and other times like breakfast when you had 7 people working and 3 guests dining for breakfast. Most of your staff were just milling around, talking amongst each other, etc.
12. No one called me during the stay to ask how my stay was going and if I needed anything during my stay. Not up to Hyatt standards. As a Diamond guest, the hotel should be making efforts to ensure that all guests are having a good time but especially your valued guests like your Diamonds. One thing that I enjoy and you may want to suggest to your GM, is that the GM sign a notecard and have it delivered to the Diamond with their amenity as a way to say hello and thank them for their stay. Many of the Hyatt hotels that I visit; the GM's all make this a standard.

Look forward to hearing from you and/or the GM of the hotel.

Respectfully

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Tracey P, Manager at Hyatt The Pike Long Beach, responded to this review, September 9, 2013
Allow me to introduce myself. My name is Tracey Pool, and I am the Hotel Manager here at Hyatt The Pike Long Beach.

First and foremost, I want to extend my sincerest apologies for the negative experience you had during your most recent stay with us. After reading your review, I can, clearly, understand your frustratration and disappointment with the negligence you endured from the time of booking your reservation to the time of your departure. I have shared your comments with Jason, Melissa, our Executive Housekeeper, our Chief Engineer, and our Asst. Director of Food & Beverage. We are in the process of reviewing all that went wrong during your visit, and putting the necessary retraining and procedures in place to avoid recurrences.

As a Diamond Gold Passport member with Hyatt, it is extremely important that you understand how much your continued loyalty to the Hyatt brand means to us. We strive to ensure all of our guests have a wonderful experience during their stay at The Pike, and it was embarassing to see just how far we fell from this goal during your visit. I can only hope we have not completely destroyed your faith in our service abilities, and, again, I hope you will accept my apologies.

Should your travels bring you back to the Long Beach area, please contact my office directly so I can assist with your arrangements. I want to ensure you receive the type of service and accommodations you have come to recognize and expect from Hyatt Hotels and Resorts.

Tracey Pool
Hotel Manager, Hyatt The Pike Long Beach
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

The staff was very friendly and attentive, the room clean, lovely, hip & modern ... just a few glitches to work out. We changed rooms shortly after arriving because we wanted a little more elevation (from 2nd floor). That was the only reason because its not particularly known for its views, which was also fine with us. The WiFi was really spotty after the move. I basically had to stand by the door to get my email, and that wasn't terrible on a holiday weekend when I wasn't doing business. Just a glitch. The bed was extremely comfortable but the air conditioning was very loud when kicking on and no way that I could figure to adjust the fan speed which might have tempered that a bit. Decided to go up to the rooftop pool before it closed at 11p (no bar service after 7p, by the way), and there had been a glass broken in the pool so caution tape was all around. One fellow sound asleep was the only other soul in sight and the place was kind of messy and uninviting from a busy, warm day, but we stayed for the lovely night air and view of the Queen Mary.

In spite of my complaints, I really did like the hotel in general and think I would give it another try.

Room Tip: Southwest corner very quiet and probably one of the better view for a hotel that doesn't brag on...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple
Newport Beach, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Excellent small Hyatt, more like a boutique hotel. Downtown Long Beach, which is an excellent location for couples and families. Different than the stanard Hyatt hotels, which usually cater to business travelers.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
long beach, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 2, 2013

The rooms are laid out in a nice way to maximize space. The bathroom was beautiful. Our package included breakfast, and they let us get it delivered to the room, at no extra charge. Also like the rooftop pool, although they could use a few more chaise lounges up there.

Room Tip: Not a large hotel so leave some distance between your room and the elevators.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Avalon
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2013

We stayed at the Hyatt for my daughters birthday and was treated very well. When we checked in Ashley took great care of us. We also had a great view of Long Beach and Catalina. Thank You Ashley, we will be back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with friends

Been to Hyatt The Pike Long Beach? Share your experiences!