“Great times for the family” 5 of 5 stars

Park & Surf Package
Ranked #3 of 58 hotels in Long Beach
GreenLeadersBronze level
Vancouver, Washington
“Great times for the family”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We have stayed here two different times now and it is a top notch hotel. Seems a little pricer in the lounge now that it is run by the Hyatt though. $7 for a bottled beer was a bit out of my price range. Luckily there are a couple close restaurants nearby that have happy hours.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

447 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Oakland, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 2, 2012

I stayed in this hotel two weeks in a row for work. The first week, I had a very good room. Although the view was nothing to write home about (inner courtyard and AC units), the room had modern fixtures, all looking quite new. Though rather small, the room had a very comfortable king size bed, sofa, two armchairs and desk. I loved that there were outlets everywhere; it's a thoughtful touch that most hotels miss and much needed when you want to sit in bed and do some work on your laptop. The bathroom was most impressive, with a huge walk-in marble shower with both a rain head and a handheld showerhead, Plus a great double sink and vanity with plenty of room for toiletries. All, in all, it was quite good, as hotel rooms go.

That said, there were a few minor quibbles during the week. The biggest being the lack of staffing. I get it that the hotel was not terribly full and management probably wants to save money, but I think they'd gone too far. In particular, I went to the restaurant one night and there was one employee there. She was not only the hostess, she was the waitress and doing the room service orders, as well (for all I know, she may have been the cook, as well!). I waited a good ten minutes or more to be seated with absolutely no one in sight to even acknowledge my presence. After being seated (and I was the only patron in the restaurant) she would vanish for long periods while she ran orders up to the different floors. On another morning, when I wanted to order room service, there was no one to take the order so it rolled to the front desk, who transferred it back to the empty restaurant, where it promptly rolled back to the front desk again as no one was there. At that point, rather than take the order, which would have been easy enough, I was told someone would call me back to take my order, which took another 20 minutes. Housekeeping was also hit or miss. The room was clean enough, but one day the trash wasn't emptied, another the washcloths weren't replaced. One of my colleagues had her toiletries replaced each day, mine never were. You get the drift.

The other thing, which isn't really the hotel's fault, but an important thing to consider, is that the hotel is located in what appears to be a newer area of the downtown called The Pike, which has restaurants and a few shops. Perhaps if there's a convention in town, it's a lively area, but for the two weeks that I was there, it was eerily desolate pretty much all the time. I'm not sure how anything stays in business. If you're a woman alone, you don't want to be walking around here after dark. It's creepy.

The second week of my stay was not as good. Although I paid a higher rate than I had the previous week, the room could not begin to compare. Tiny doesn't begin to describe it; it was easily half the size of the room I'd had before (and that room wasn't all that big). It was one of those rooms that fit the bed and a small desk, without just enough room to walk around the bed and not a heck of a lot more. Even the bathroom was half the size. I might have understood if the hotel had been full and that's all that was available, but it was far from it. I barely passed another soul the entire time I was there. To be fair, the room was clean and the furnishings were fine and if I hadn't had a better room the previous week, I probably wouldn't have minded it as much. But when you know that much better accommodations are available (and that you'd had them at a lower rate), it suffers badly by comparison. That room should have cost much less than what I'd paid the previous week.

All in all, with better staffing and more attention paid to the quality of the rooms given to guests, I might have given the place four stars. I can't say that I would never stay here again, but I would definitely check out other options before making a decision.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that doesn't overlook the courtyard; they're tiny and the view is terrible.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
St Albans
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

no complaints, the staff were friendly, check in was efficient. Parking charge was reasonable compared to some of the other hotels we stayed on this trip. The room was fine, clean and a good base for what we wanted to do in the area. Had some noise from next door with loud TV but it was dealt with quickly

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Casey, Illinois
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 30, 2012

This was an excellent hotel. The Concierge Desk was extremely helpful and friendly. We found the hotel conveniently located with excellent directions provided for our excursions. The hotel was beautiful, clean and had VERY fast elevators! Although not on a sandy beach, it is close to the water. The Queen Mary, theaters, small shops, a marina, and many restaurants were close by also.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Forney, Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 24, 2012

My wife and I were once again very pleased with our stay here . . . if you are working at the Long Beach Convention Center and want to say at a hotel that has more of a boutique feel to it . . . this is for you! Exactly the kind of quality one would expect from an upper-end Hyatt hotel . . . plus the prices relative to other hotels in the area, including the Hyatt Regency, are very competitive.
The walks to many of the local attractions are very short and only minutes away, and there are a lot of good restaurants in the area. Cannot wait to come bank!

Room Tip: join the Hyatt gold program
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled on business
Bournemouth
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

I have never stayed in any hotel before where I thought the bed was better than mine! It was ridiculously comfortable! I never wanted to get out of it! I liked everything about tihis hotel. The location is fab. A couple of minutes walk over a pedestrian bridge to all the restauants and aquarium. Breakfast was extra but very nice - the berries with granola and yoghurt was huge - you won't need anything else. The roof top pool was nice with a smashing view over Long Beach. There is a convenient car park next door which was cheap by Californian standards. I would not hesitate in recommending this hotel or staying there again.

Room Tip: Go for the 'stand by' upgrade for the extra $9. Well worth it!
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012 via mobile

Jenni was our server at Bay Street Kitchen She was so amazing! She took care of every us from the time we came in to the time we left. She made us feel so comfortable and recommended some delicious breakfast items! I would definitely go back to the pike and her again! My husband and I were so amazed by what a charming girl she is! We've been there a few times and this was definitely best experience at the pike and the Bay Street Kitchen! Can't wait until our next visit!

• Stayed October 2012

Been to Hyatt The Pike Long Beach? Share your experiences!