“My favorite hotel, great location, amazing service.” 5 of 5 stars

3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Pacific Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90802   |
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Sydney, Australia
“My favorite hotel, great location, amazing service.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

This is my favorite hotel at Long Beach and we have been back every year for the last 5 years when we attend a Long beach convention. Nice walking distance from the city center and convention center. Plenty of restaurants and shops close by. Modern European style rooms, very neat, comfortable and clean. Coffee, tea facilities, fruits and snacks near the lobby area adds to the convenience. Hands-on owners and staff are super friendly and always very helpful. Amazing service beyond many 5 star hotels. We travel a lot around the world and this is one of our favorite hotels.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

We have been staying at the Varden for many years and I can tell you it is the best value in Long Beach. It is European style, so expect compact. But apart from that the bed is comfy, the amenities are great, the location is perfect. But best of all the service that Larry (the owner) and his staff give is literally second to none. They treat you like family from the moment you walk in to the moment you leave. I wish Larry taught customer service to people at the bank.

Evening Shade, Arkansas, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

I just visited the Varden for the second time and the experience was wonderful. I was in Long Beach for a trade show--which was fun, but stressful! Coming home to the Varden at the end of a long day provided a peaceful respite once again. Their staff was wonderful and Charles and Larry are more than gracious. Wishing them the very best on their new endeavors!!
Lisa K.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Moab, Utah
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Very much enoyed the hotel and the amazing guest service. The front desk was friendly, accomodating and knoweldgeable about the area. For such a small operation they rival the quality of a 5-Star Chain. Kudos to the owners and the team. The rooms are also quite fun.
Needed a few extra blankets as it was cold - which was very surprising. They were brought up right away.

Room Tip: The Queen Room is worth the few extra bucks. All the rest are full size.
Cork, Ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

This was a great hotel and very centrally located within walking distance of most of the attractions. While the rooms are not massive, there is nothing lacking in them, they are spotlessly clean and comfortable. A continental breakfast was also provided which while not huge was a nice touch.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Fresno, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

Great hotel! Love the evening wine and snacks. I've stayed here multiple times when in Long Beach and it's a great value. Very close walk to great restaurants and nightlife. The customer service is beyond anything you'll get from a typical corporate chain.

Denver, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

I agree with the all the reviews I've read, good and bad, but for my weekend stay in Long Beach, I could not have wanted anything more. The staff was without a doubt the most helpful and genuinely caring staff I've encountered while traveling. They think of all the little things that make life easier, for instance, offering to print my airline boarding pass for me before I left - I hadn't even thought to ask! And I truly enjoyed meeting them and spending a bit of time getting to know them. Yes, the rooms are small, but I was there to sleep, clean up and relax a bit before heading back out so room was perfect! It was spotlessly clean (I mean spotless!!). The bed was incredibly comfortable (as were the pillows). The air conditioning was very nice. I had everything I needed and room size was ideal. Yes, it would have been tight if there were two of us, but there wasn't - it was just me. Not looking to spend an entire day in my room, just looking for a safe, well kept, friendly, clean environment. Location was perfect, close to public transportation. I could hear people walking over head, but it didn't keep me up and it wasn't at inappropriate times - I understand people in hotels are on different schedules, so I'm pretty flexible about that. I could hear the doors close, but there wasn't one incident where I felt people were being disrespectfully noisy of others. I meet some really nice people during the lovely little wine tasting they have in the evening and more during the breakfast. I would not hesitate to recommend this place to solo travelers/business travelers.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled solo

Been to The Varden Hotel? Share your experiences!