“Great stay and outstanding staff” 5 of 5 stars

The Varden Hotel
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   335 Pacific Avenue, Long Beach, CA 90802   |
Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
San Jose, Costa Rica
“Great stay and outstanding staff”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 17, 2013

I recently stayed at the hotel for 06 nights due to a conference at the Long Beach Convention Center and had a wonderful time at The Varden Hotel. I was supposed to have stayed at another hotel but Jose offered such great service on the phone and assisted me with my incquiries that I decided to change my plans and stay at the boutique hotel.

The staff is amazing! Jose, Zach and Mike made me feel like I was trully at home. The offered such wonderful service, assistance and made each guest feel very special.

The hotel was more than I expected. It is a true jewel in Long Beach! Loved the room and facilities. The room is small but its 100% clean and modern with the comforts I needed.

The breakfast, wi fi and wine tasting really added value to my stay.

The sign outside (the one that says Dolly Varden) does not do to it justice.

Hotel is right in front of the Pacific metro station and one block away from Pine Ave with a wide variety of restaurants and cafes. My favorites were Sevilla and George`s Greek Cafe.

I will highly recommend the hotel and hopefully return next year.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (78)
New York City, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

The rooms are small, but nicely furnished and super-modern. The staff are friendly and remember who you are! The coffee and internet are free 24/7. Nice feel and great location. I will stay there again!

San Cristobal de La Laguna, Spain
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

I was staying in the hotel for eight nights with a friend of mine, both attending conference in Long Beach. Overall, i was a very nice stay, staff is amazing. Whether I needed taxi, bus or arrange a car rental, everyone was really helpful and nice. The rooms are very small, but clean, though the window view I had was not really impressive (but I was at the hotel just for sleeping, so I didn't really care much). The smallness of the room present biggest disadvantage of the place.
The shower was really tricky, since it's head is not adjustable, so as a short person I had troubles if I wanted to shower but not wash my hair. It was just impossible to shower comfortably. Another thing was the size of the bed, even though the room is intended for two people, the bed is way to small for them (unless they cuddle I guess). Staying with friend, we didn't have as much space as we would have appreciated. I'd qualify those rooms as single, two people have difficulties here.
Location of the hotel is almost perfect. Tram to Los Angeles stops in front of the hotel and Long Beach downtown is five minutes walk, as is convention center. All in all, I'd recommend the place to whomever is travelling to Long Beach.

Del Mar, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

This was a pleasant surprise! Full of charm and very chic! Tiny but very stylish. Staff and guests very friendly and helpful.. Would definitely recommend and stay again. Good location. One negative, the shower was really small.

Overall we had a great stay!

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with family
Lakeville, Massachusetts, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 14, 2013

I recently stayed at the Varden Hotel for 7 nights. The rooms are clean and comfortable. The staff is outstanding. I was traveling by myself and found their assistance really helpful. I was informed about a day trip to LA for my day off that worked out just perfect. I was helped with a car rental and directions for another day to Disneyland. They were helpful with restaurant choices and every aspect of my stay. I would go back and recommend the Varden Hotel to my friends.

Davis, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

It's in an historic building, located in downtown, with (authentically) friendly staff, all at a reasonable price. The only drawback is that, unfortunately, downtown Long Beach is a patch of safe/unsafe zones and this hotel is located on the border of each (not their fault but rather the city). But you can't beat the location as you can pretty much walk any where from the hotel (or take the FREE bus around downtown).

• Stayed January 2013, traveled as a couple
Groton, Connecticut
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

The Varden's biggest strengths are its customer service and the cleanliness of the rooms. Jose and Norman were very attentive and friendly. They went above and beyond. We stayed here before and after a 2 week cruise to Hawaii, they remembered our names and where we were from when we returned. They did everything from helping us find the quickest, cheapest, and safest way to Disneyland, to making change, to assisting with luggage, to making taxi arrangements, to setting wake calls, etc. Adina was very friendly, but we did not have much interaction with her due to her schedule. The rooms were small and the shower was a little difficult to work with, but the rooms were super clean. 1 block away was Pine street which had a bunch of restaurants and shops. The location is great! You have easy access to the metro. I would stay here again in a heartbeat. I have stayed at places like the Four Season's in Philly and the Omni Parker in Boston and the Varden of Longbeach is right up there.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to The Varden Hotel? Share your experiences!