“The Best!” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 58 Hotels in Long Beach
Greevnville, SC
“The Best!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2011

The Varden has a wonderful and helpful staff. This is a boutique hotel conveniently located in Long Beach. It is in walking distance to stores, restaurants, water front. But, by far their best feature is that they really, really care about their guests. It is seldom that one finds a true "home away from home" and the staff and owners of The Varden make a successful effort to extend this feeling to their guests. I would recommend this hotel without hestitation. Recently, it was the destination hotel for all of our out of town wedding guests.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
Wilmington, Delaware
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

WHat more could you ask for? Pleasant, competent staff, free breakfast and evening wines, comfortable rooms, and very reasonable prices. The BEST part of this experience was the personal, friendly attention of proprietor, Larry Black. He really made our stay feel special. I give the Varden my TOP rating. Pat Confalone

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with family
Maitland, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 5, 2011

I travelled alone from Florida to attend a one day conference in Long Beach and chose the Varden because it is walking distance from the convention center and I generally like the idea of a non-chain hotel. I could not have been happier with my choice. Helpful, friendly staff, beautifully appointed accommodations, top quality bed and linens, delicious breakfast with coffee, resh fruit, cereal, yogurt. . . . snacks and a glass of wine in the evening. The owners thought of everything when they renovated this charming place, and did it with incredible style. I wouldn't stay elsewhere in Long Beach!

Room Tip: You might ask for a room away from the street.
Toronto
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 3, 2011

Yes, the staff were nice and the decor is trendy, but this hotel's rooms and beds are too small for a couple. It is called a "European style boutique" hotel – I have stayed in many European hotels and none of them would offer such a small bed for 2 people: this size bed and room is labeled for single occupancy. We reserved well in advance and when I asked for not to be put in one of these small rooms I read about on Trip Advisor, I was told that all the rooms were the same size. The bed in the "Full" room we were given was a three-quarter bed, too small for 2 adults. The bathroom was so small that the tiny sink had to be located in the bedroom. When we complained a 2nd time, the reception found a larger room – this one was more expensive with a "Queen" bed that was a few inches narrower than a standard Queen. (They said that this room was not available when we booked but the occupants checked out early.)

The hotel was renovated, but on the cheap: the walls are thin, furnishings and breakfast area (and breakfast) sparse. It is on a busy street with trains and buses. The price was not economical $119-$139. (Parking is extra.)

It is an alternative for people who want to avoid the sterility of the Hyatt or the Hilton. But I believe that this hotel should not offer the small rooms for 2 adults (unless they want to lie in each other's arms all night!). I can only conclude that the glowing remarks I read on Trip Advisor must have come from singles.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple
335p, Owner at The Varden Hotel, responded to this review, July 5, 2011
Dear Valued Guest,

Thank you for your valuable feedback on your recent visit to Long Beach and The Varden. It is these types of comments which enable our property to become a better experience for all our guests. As we are delighted to read your comments on our customer service and cleanliness of our hotel, we do apologize we did not meet your overall expectations. As our queen bedded accommodations are the traditional and most commonly found queen bed mattresses found in the United States, our full size mattresses are only slightly smaller. Although our award winning design and furnishings are fresh and contemporary, they are not indicative of the more traditional hotels you mentioned.

Thank you again for your comments.

Cordially,

Larry S. Black
Proprietor
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 28, 2011

My husband and I travel quite a bit for business and pleasure, and we have never encountered friendlier or more service-oriented staff than at The Varden! The proprieters were personable, knowledgeable about the area, and genuinely interested in their guests experiencing a fantastic stay. They went out of their way to recommend just the right restaurants for us, and were always anticipating what we might need to make our stay more comfortable. While our room was on the slightly smaller side, everything was clean, new, and modern due to the hotel's recent renovation. We loved the white tile and bathroom fixtures in particular! The Varden is a gem of a boutique hotel, and we would definitely consider staying there again.

Hong Kong, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 24, 2011

The Varden is truly an oasis amongst a sea of chain hotels in long beach. I escaped from the terrible service at the Hilton to find this small boutique hotel. I felt immediately at home and relaxed in the crisp cool decor. The rooms are not large, but cool, clean and functional. Bring an iPod for music. Very friendly, personal service adds to the pleasant experience. They even have wine and cheese early evenings. Truly unique for Long Beach.

Room Tip: The largest room is above the entrance
  • Stayed February 2011, traveled on business
Paradise Taveuni
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2011

This was my 3rd time I stayed at The Varden Hotel and I need to say that I own and operate a small boutique resort in Fiji, where you will find the friendliest people in the world.... however I have managed to find even friendlier people - The owners and their great Team. Not only do they always remember me, but they go out of their way to ensure my stay is perfect. So helpful and full of advice with handy tips about the area.

The rooms are immaculate - clean, very well serviced and comfortable with all the necessities - hair dryer, wifi, I-pod docking stn, TV, air con, large mirrors.

I love the breakfast each morning - GREAT COFFEE! They even offer a free wine tasting in the evenings and most times the owner, Larry is here to chat to his Guests.

Right next door is a great Mexican Restaurant and it minutes from the nearest shops and convention center.

Don't stay anywhere else in Long Beach! The Varden Hotel is perfect! and you will feel like you are coming home to old friends.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business

Been to The Varden Hotel? Share your experiences!