“I freaking loved it!” 5 of 5 stars

Book ahead on Viator
Top Rated
$159*
and up
California Beach Cities Day Trip from Los...
Ranked #14 of 34 Attractions in Long Beach
Type: Religious Sites, Museums, History Museums, Ships, Cultural
Activities: Dining, Group tours/walking tour, Group tours/day tour
More attraction details
Owner description: This elegant luxury liner, permanently docked on Long Beach since its last crossing in 1967, features a hotel, museum, restaurants, Art Deco salons for private parties, a wedding chapel and tours.
Dallas, Texas
“I freaking loved it!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 9, 2013

This is a delayed review. I visited the Queen Mary on October 17, 2012. I freaking loved it! I went because it was my traveling companion's lifelong dream (literally) to see the Queen Mary. I think I liked better than he did. It is a bit pricey, and I didn't appreciate the fact that the ticket seller wasn't upfront about the times of the tours and the exhibits. The Russian sub was closed for renovations, but I wasn't that upset about it since I am claustrophobic.

Many people here have been critical about the Ghosts and Legends Tour. If you are expecting to see real ghosts, stay in the hotel and wander the ship at night. If you are touring in the day and want to have a fun and entertaining experience, DO the Ghosts and Legends tour. We thought it was full of fun, and our tour guide, Dustin, was totally creepy. He really got into the part and made it suspenseful. A kid on our tour was so scared after Dustin's introduction that his family had to leave the tour. The special effects were very well done. I don't know why anyone wouldn't love it. I thought it was comparable to a top notch haunted house and the tour allowed us to go into the underbelly of the ship.

After that tour we wandered the ship. I really enjoyed that we could roam around so freely, although I would have liked to spend more time in some of the ghosts & legends tour rooms. The control/boiler rooms of the ship are a steampunk's dream. So dark and dank and full of pipes and gauges and cool. I found myself wandering alone down there in the mass of steel and iron. It was kinda freaky, in a good way. The top decks were a little ragged, but way cool. I think they are trying to preserve as much of the original ship as possible. It seems like some reviewers don't want anything to be old. Well, the Queen Mary is old. That's a big part of why it's so neat.

The art deco style of the lobbies and common areas is magnificent. The observation bar is legendary and it lives up to it's art deco style. We had a couple of drinks there. We sat in the lobby for along time, just soaking up the atmosphere.

We ate dinner at Sir Winston's. We never saw the room with the awesome view that they advertise on the website. We had a nice view out the side of the ship in a small room. The service was excellent. The food was good, but probably not worth the price. I had beef wellington, he had the roasted chicken.

If you like art deco, steam punk, ghosts, haunted houses, history, ships, old world glamour, complicated fire maps, elegant lobbies, shops and/or staircases, visit the Queen Mary.

Even if you don't think you like any of those things, the Queen Mary might surprise you. It surprised me.

I can't express how much I loved my time on the Queen Mary. Next trip I will definitely stay on board. I found the ship surreal and I could really feel the history. They have 20's music playing faintly in many areas around the ship which was a little creepy and a lot of awesome. The propeller box is so massively huge that picture doesn't do it justice. There are so many little things. Perhaps you have to be into the spirit of the history to truly appreciate it. Me? I can't wait to go back.

Visited October 2012

• Greek first
Rancho Murieta, California, Usa
11 attraction reviews
“Incredible history”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 8, 2013

Queen Mary is an incredible piece of history. It is difficult to believe that it went through WWII. Now it is a hotel and a museum with many shops, restaurants and bars. My favorite restaurant is Sir Winston's restaurant. The view is magnificent, especially at night. It is very romantic and elegant. The menu is impressive, and the service was impeccable. Beef Wellington was delicious. It is a great place for a romance. They have great selection of champagne. Cheers!

Visited June 2012
Cork, Ireland
7 attraction reviews
“Disappointing”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

We went to Long Island to see the Queen Mary and it was a huge disappointment, the boat has been stripped of any of it’s original charm and replaced with tourist tack (red phone box on the decks). It is also hugely overpriced.

Visited January 2013
Honolulu, HI
32 attraction reviews
“a waste of time.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 5, 2013

Overpriced at $25 a person. One basically just wandered around aimlessly on the ship until one got tired of wandering. At that price, at least a guided tour would have been appropriate.
It explained why there were only about 10-15 tourist on the whole ship while I was there.

Visited January 2013
Anaheim, California
15 attraction reviews
“It's past it's time”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2013

For the price, it just wasn't worth the effort. The location is okay and not bad if you are leaving or coming back from a cruise. For a "one time shot" it is probably worth it, but if you are a repeat visitor like I was then it's just not worth the second trip

Visited November 2012