“Remember where you are staying!!!” 4 of 5 stars

Low Rate, Guaranteed
Ranked #1 of 8 hotels in Lone Pine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Escondido, California
“Remember where you are staying!!!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2013

I tortured myself reading TripAdvisor reviews of this motel (Best Western) and the other two highly rated motels in town. Tales of bedbugs, surly staff, unhealthy breakfast, barking dogs, lack of phone service, closed pool, etc., etc. had me thinking long and hard before making a reservation here, but I took the plunge and went online to make a reservation. Found a King deluxe room on their website that looked good. Because we were traveling and using a "shared" internet connection, I did not want to use my lap top to make the reservation - didn't want to enter my credit card info - so I called the Best Western 800 number. The reservationist informed me that the motel was sold out for the night I needed. No room at the Inn...literally. When I told her that the website would allow me to make a reservation, her response was
"yes, that's a problem that happens frequently. You just take your chance." At that point I called the Lone Pine Best Western and learned that there were still 4 rooms available including the room I was trying to reserve. The woman apologized for the confusion and expressed concern that "Corporate" would say they were sold out when they weren't. No surly, uncaring staff member there!

A couple days later we arrived in Lone Pine. I was thrilled with the location of the motel on the edge of town, especially after we saw a mob of dirt bike guys partying in the parking lot of the Dow Villa (our 2nd choice). The center of town was very busy and noisy - not what we were looking for. Our room was located on the side of the "complex" next to an open field. Quiet, plenty of parking, easy to pull right up to the room to load/unload. Our room "The Kirk Douglas Suite" was a pleasant surprise. The room was huge and immaculate. It looked as if it was re-done recently. Nice big television, comfy bedbug-free bed, stain-free carpet and upholstery, mini fridge, large bathroom...it was all good. Never tried the phone, but I assume it worked. It actually shocked me how clean the room was. I'm pretty critical, and HATE stains, "stuff" on walls, scratched up furniture, shabby upholstery, etc. This room even passed my inspection. My husband was in total shock (at my reaction...not at the room). The ONLY fault I could find was with the air conditioner, which was very noisy. But hey...it was over 100 degrees outside, and we had AC. As long as I didn't have to sweat my butt off in Lone Pine, I could handle noise (earplugs).

After a quiet evening we woke up early for breakfast in the Lobby area. Plenty to choose from ranging from healthy (fruit, yogurt, oatmeal) to unhealthy (cheese omelets, pancakes, sausage, seasoned potatoes, pastries). The room was overflowing with people. The poor woman in charge of the buffet couldn't keep up with the crowd - why do some people act like this is their last meal and pile up their plates with everything in sight? When I went to get a cup of decaf coffee I discovered the dispenser was empty. I mentioned this to the attendant, and she said she would brew a pot for me. Within a few minutes she came over to let me know the coffee was ready, and apologized for the delay. We finished breakfast, packed up, checked out and left. No problems.

So for all the "Terrible" and "Poor" ratings of this place, let me just say this - People...remember where you are and where you are staying. This is Lone Pine, California. The middle of nowhere, population almost nothing. This is NOT the Four Seasons, Manhattan. Not the Boston Ritz-Carlton. If your room is clean, the bed is comfortable and there is coffee/juice and SOMETHING to eat in the morning, be happy. For where it was and what it was, this establishment earned a "Very Good" rating from us.

Room Tip: The King suites (south side?) next to the field are quiet and offer more privacy.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

776 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (98)
Sacramento
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

Reasonable price. Very helpful and pleasant front desk staff. The pool was ‘closed’ due to the ‘season’ but it was 90 degrees and March and the website didn’t mention that the pool is closed sometimes. Our room was located back away from road, facing a meadow. It was clean and had a large bathroom. There’s a free-but-not-great-for-vegans-or-vegetarians- or-people-who-want-to-eat-healthy breakfast. One big negative, the painting over the bed depicted an American Indian attacking a white man, very violently! Another painting shows stagecoach with settlers struggling to pass over a mountain. I know it’s supposed to be Film History but to me it was a very negative vibe. Also, not their fault but there was a dog barking in the area behind the hotel the entire night!

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013

After climbing Mt. Whitney, we had a reserved room at the Best Western in Lone Pine. The room was clean and very comfortable. However, the best part of the stay was the excellent service. I accidently left our new tent in the room and didn't realize it until we arrived in Las Vegas. We called the Motel and they offered to send it to us by UPS. I was absolutely thrilled when we got it back. It is a real pleasure to stay at a place where they care and willing to help out. I will definitely go back.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Charlotte, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 7, 2013

Our group of four stayed here while in town to hike Mt. Whitney. The accommodations and staff were great and this was an excellent choice for a hotel in the area. Also, the hotel has great views of Whitney!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Seattle, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Had a pleasant stay at the Lone Pine Best Western. Slow internet and low water pressure in shower, but other than that it was a nice place to stay. Clean rooms and friendly, knowledgeable staff. Breakfast had numerous choices and were well prepared.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Rancho Palos Verdes
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 6, 2013

Great staff, very cleanroom, and comfortable, nice breakfast, air conditioner worked great but was a little noisy when on, location in Lone Pine was very convenient to our purpose - My Whitney day hike

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Los Angeles, United States
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

Good base-location to hike Mount Whitney in a day. Close to town center without the added noise. High desert and alpine mountains environments within 30 minutes of each other. Great gateway into the Eastern Sierras. Close to Horseshoe Meadows, Cottonwood Lakes/Pass trails, Mt. Langley and the grand-daddy Mount Whitney!

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends

Review collected in partnership with Best Western

Been to BEST WESTERN PLUS Frontier Motel? Share your experiences!