“Clean, Helpful Staff, Historic Hotel” 5 of 5 stars

310 S Main, P.O. Box 205, Lone Pine, CA 93545   |
Ranked #2 of 8 Hotels in Lone Pine
GreenLeadersBronze level
Loma Linda, California
“Clean, Helpful Staff, Historic Hotel”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

Very clean, nicely decorated room in historic hotel on the second floor with queen and twin bed. Sink in room, bathroom and shower down the hall. Temp was 107 outside. Central air with no in-room AC unit for the historic hotel portion of this motel. We knew this before booking. Got to 83 in room as staff said it could. Cool at night. Community refrigerator to use downstairs - just ask front desk staff. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. Ice water, ice machine and pool helped us stay cool. Also, Dow Villa Motel is right across the street from the delicious Pizza Factory and down the street from Frosty's which has yummy soft serve ice cream and had a great strawberry milk shake. For the price, this was a very nice place to stay. Some of our party used the shower at the pool to rinse off, as they opted to not use the "community shower room" down the hall. Some rooms have their own private baths. Recommend this historic portion of the motel if you want to save a few dollars.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (73)
New England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 24, 2014

We stayed in the main hotel part after backpacking the John Muir Trail. The hotel is nothing special. The hotel sits on Rte 395, which is a very busy truck route with traffic noise. While our room faced the courtyard, it still would have been noisy if we had left the windows open. In addition, you cannot set the A/C temperature or fan speed in your room in this part of the building, so you rely on the central A/C which wasn't cold. Our room temperature was in the mid-seventies temperature as an estimate, and it would have been nice to have it cooler as it was over 100 degrees outside. The rooms are dated, but the carpet was new. The downstairs area was nice, and the front desk cheerful. They have a nice pool area too, and there are several restaurants walking distance. Lone Pine has few options, and this one was acceptable and the price was reasonable. Don't kid yourself about luxury; it's not a 4 star resort. Also, there is no breakfast included, so you have to go to one of the expensive and slow restaurants nearby (there is a McDonalds too).

Coronado, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 16, 2014

We stayed in Lone Pine for 3 nights. Our family hiked Mt. Whitney and we came up a day early in order to get acclimated to the altitude. I stayed behind during their hikes and so I asked for their upgraded room. My husband and I stayed in room # 50. It was a very large room that held a king size bed on the second floor with a great view of Mt Whitney. It had a whirlpool bathtub, a refrigerator and microwave a very large (50 inch??) television and a large couch and comfortable chair. It was the best choice that I could have made given that I stayed in the room while the others went hiking for most of the day and evening. The staff at the motel is great and very helpful. There were plateful towels and the office had towels for the pool. The main historical hotel had wonderful pictures of John Wayne and all the movies that he made around the Lone Pine area. John Wayne and his crew also stayed at the Dow Villa while they were shooting the films. I usually stay in large new hotels in larger cities and I would recommend the Dow Villa whole heartedly and I would stay there again anytime that I am in the area.

Room Tip: Stay in the newer motel as the rooms have their own bathrooms and Air Conditioning. Stay on the sec...
San Diego, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

My family and I stayed in one of the apartments in the hotel section. It had enough room for four adults and one young child to comfortably sleep. It also had its own bathroom and a full kitchen. The apartment was fairly basic but clean, and had everything we needed for a quick stay. The hotel itself was in a great location, with easy access to all of the shops and restaurants on Main Street. I'd stay here again when passing through.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
Solvang, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

A large group of us stayed here as we met up for a family reunion.
The front desk was friendly and helpful - gave us maps to the Alabama Hills sights, checked us in and out quickly. Our room was clean and ready for us, the towels were nice & soft.

Great views of Mt Whitney & the Sierras.
There is also a Film Museum right down the road.

loomis ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

Loved both. The historic section was very economical with a shared bath. Sink in the room and shower and toilet a few doora down. Totally adequate and for $69 we thought a good deal. Super friendly staff,it attracts a very nice clientele. Coffee in the lobby in the morning. Good pool and spa. A few steps from the best restaurants. Perfect.

On our return trip a week later we treated ourselves to a larger more modern room in the motel section. Also good value for $112. Frig, microwave, coffee maker ans AC that worked...we were very happy.. Highly recommended. We will always stay here when passing through Lone Pine.

Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Corona
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 8, 2014

My wife and I stayed here on our way to Yosemite. We were drawn to its old historic look on the outside. Found out that there are two separate areas to stay in. The renovated area is toward the rear of the property and closer to the pool. We stayed in the "old" part where the decor was close to what it was in the 1920's. On the wall behind the check-in desk is a picture of the Dow Villa when it was newer, in the 20's, and there are a bunch of 20's cars parked in front of the motel. I thought it added a nostalgic touch to the entry.

The room we stayed in was in the rear of the check-in building, and at the end of the hallway. I asked if we could see the room prior to commiting and they were very agreeable. Also learned that only a few of the historic rooms have a bathroom in the room. The rooms that don't have a bathroom, have to share the hallway bathroom, which is kind of weird, but again, nostalgic. The doors to the rooms are original and they all have the transom openings above the doors, but the glass has been replaced by plywood, which is for privacy I'm sure, but a frosted glass replacement would have been really unique. The air conditioning is supplied through original ducting with grills, and it appears to be ran according to a thermostat located elsewhere. However, we stayed there in June and it was mid to upper 80's and we were comfortable the entire night. We did not use heat, but we noticed the old radiator style in the room, with a note that read not to adjust the valve or the vent, so we assumed they work. Another nostalgic piece of history. Bathroom was small, but it is original size, so I didn't expect much. Only thing I would change (and I suggested it to the front desk) is the shower curtain bar. The shower/tub has a courtyard window in the wall, but it is frosted, and it is covered with a shower compatible curtain, which means the window is flush with the interior wall finish and the curtain extends into the standing area by about 3 inches. Having said that, the actual shower curtain is not mounted over the top edge of the tub, but rather, it is hanging about an inch or two toward the inide of the tub. That means, when I stood facing the shower head, my left arm was sticking to the window curtain, and my right arm was sticking to the shower curtain. Kind of creepy/weird. I told the front desk to consider a curved hotel bar that extends outward so the customer isn't creeped out by the curtains.

Historic rooms had free wifi, but it was slow. Not sure where the antenna was located, but speed was an issue in that area for uploading pictures to my cloud from my phone.

All in all, it was reasonably priced, as there are not a lot of choices to stay in Lone Pine, but if you don't like "old" style, you can choose modern upgrades in the renovated area. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a historic room with a bathroom included, or you're sharing the hallway! Even...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dow V, Owner at Dow Villa Motel, responded to this review, July 11, 2014
Thank you for your comments. We are very proud of both our Historic Dow Hotel and our 3 diamond Dow Villa Motel. The Historic Dow was built in 1923 to house the movie companies that were coming to the area. There is a total of 50 rooms that we rent, 31 of them have a private bathrooms. All of the Dow Hotel rooms have a wash basin in the room.
Our 3 diamond Dow Villa Motel is newer with all of the amenities that you could enjoy.
We now have H D TV signal in all of our rooms. We look forward to your next stay.

Been to Dow Villa Motel? Share your experiences!