“comfortable and clean” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lone Pine
yorkshire
“comfortable and clean”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed May 6, 2013

we stopped here as a detour to death valley (heard about Lone Pine and like to see 'real cowboy' towns

room ws clean and comfortable. we asked for more coffee and were promised some but it didn't arrive, however as we only stayed the night it didn't cause too much of a problem. the motel is just outside the town so only a few minutes and you're there. the motel owner/manager was helpful in giving hints of where we might want to visit in a short space of time available.

id recommend the hotel. nothing fancy but everything you need is provided.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 25, 2013

We spent a night at the Mt. Whitney Motel after a day at Death Valley. It seems to be a family owned place, and while the room we had was small, it had all the amenities that a chain has. Our room had a TV, fridge, coffee maker and microwave.

The woman who checked us in asked if we wanted a room on the road side or the west side. We said it didn't matter and we were assigned a room on the road side. But if I would go back, I would now choose the west side. Then you have the possibility of waking up and seeing Mt. Whitney framed in your window.

The largest complaint was our bed was very hard and I didn't get a good night's rest. Everything else was satisfactory. It's a decent place for Mt Whitney hikers or people passing through.

Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Los Angeles, California
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 9, 2012

Good for a one-night stay. Non-smoking motel. Big enough for two. Clean. They provided more soaps, lotions than any other motels we stayed the past two weeks of travel. Friendly staff. Convenient drop-off key box. Parking for Room 4 and 5 kind of tight. More room more south. Wifi connection. Wall mounted television set.

Room Tip: Rooms are geared for more than a couple of night stay. A family motel.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wells, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

travelling to death valley, first motel when came to when arriving in lone pine, perfect for a over night stop, clean and cheap. wish we could have spent longer there , bit dated but bed was comfy , got a room in annex , so it was very quiet,

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Derby, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

nice clean hotel a bit out dated but fantastic views very cheap, ok for a stop over nice pool. very hot and pool was welcoming but drinks machine was not working tho but there a bar across the road. we stayed in the annexe so we had no road noise.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

First Impression? That 70’s Show set meets hotel room. There is something to be said for old fashioned drive-in motels: cheapish rooms, good service, right on the highway. Not a chain. This place really measures up well in this reviewers opinion. Usual format for reviews: the room, the good, the bad, the conclusion: In the admittedly unlikely event I find myself in Lone Pine, California again, I would actually be back: cheap, very solid stay. That 70s look and service I actually didn’t mind. Further, it’s a 5 minute walk to ‘down town’ and its 60% cheaper than the Best Western at the very southern end of town (so 10~15 mins away from 'downtown'), apparently - based on Tripadvisor reviews - the best place to stay in Lone Pine, though how that came to be I have no idea.

The room? Dated. Not going to sugar coat that. 1970s, with a few appliances from the 1990s (I haven’t seen a microwave with a dial since 1993) though it did have a flat screen TV with 40 channels (several in Spanish). Linen was clean, tiger print that hasn't been seen in shops since 1979, the room was well made up and the fridge (with handy small freezer) was empty. Wifi is provided free of charge tho speeds weren’t great. Parking is, literally, in front of your room. Pool is (not) tactfully placed next to the highway, albeit with a high fence. Tip? Shell service station next door. Bottom line? As it says on the ticket. I left impressed relative to an outstanding price point.

The good?
1) Location: double edged sword as we’ll see. Close to Mt Whitney and its environs. Also the biggest town close to that National Park. Independence, 15 minutes up the road, is home to jail and Emergency Response (Fire, Police) center. Very little else is there.
2) Free wifi in a cheap motel raised left a positive impression.
3) Service: Subjective, and I note one reviewer had a bad experience, this reviewer’s experience was positive. Nothing outstanding – let me be clear – but functional and helpful.
4) Highway noise did not cause this reviewer any issues. To be fair though, I had the air conditioning so providing white noise.
5) Quite a few food options 5 minutes walk down the road. A decent supermarket there too. There is a gas station (two actually) around the corner.

Needs improvement?
1) Location. This reviewer used Lone Pine as a base to explore Death Valley. It’s a 75~90 minute one way drive into Stovepipe. And back. Up and down two 5,000 foot mountain ranges. It’s not the motel’s fault, but mine – and I’ll admit that, but for Death Valley, Beatty is closer (tho with precious little in it). Lone Pine has quite a bit to offer, which is why I chose it and put up with the 3 hour round trip. I didn’t want to spend (too) much on hotels, thus the two hotels in Death Valley (Stovepipe and Furnace Creek) were non starters; this was the lesser of two evils. I don’t regret my choice, but – as a tip – be aware of it.

Conclusion? Again, be aware of what you are getting: a solid, cheap, old school drive in motel very close to Mt Whitney, not very close to Death Valley in a town with quite a bit to offer. If I was hiking Mt Whitney or heading up to Mammoth, I’d consider it strongly. The town is small, but given the area it is in, it is the best around for 50 miles. And I looked. Well worth considering.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
San Dimas, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We travel a lot and this motel compares favorably with other small, family-owned motels across the country. I found this motel to be a great place to stop on our trip to the eastern Sierra Nevada area. My reservation was handled by one of the owners and was accurate and professional. The rate was lower than many comparable motels in town. The motel was neat, clean and quiet, the room clean and comfortable. On this warm summer day the sparkling pool was refreshing! We stayed in one of the original single-story rooms near the pool. They also offer rooms in a two-story building behind the main buildings. I will stay here again and would recommend the Mt. Whitney motel to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Mt. Whitney Motel? Share your experiences!