“Solid, clean and quiet: excellent price point. Well worth considering” 3 of 5 stars
Review of Mt. Whitney Motel

Save Saved
You added Mt. Whitney Motel to your Saves list
and 1 more site!
Mt. Whitney Motel
305 North Main Street, Lone Pine, CA 93545   |
Ranked #7 of 8 Hotels in Lone Pine
New York
“Solid, clean and quiet: excellent price point. Well worth considering”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2012

First Impression? That 70’s Show set meets hotel room. There is something to be said for old fashioned drive-in motels: cheapish rooms, good service, right on the highway. Not a chain. This place really measures up well in this reviewers opinion. Usual format for reviews: the room, the good, the bad, the conclusion: In the admittedly unlikely event I find myself in Lone Pine, California again, I would actually be back: cheap, very solid stay. That 70s look and service I actually didn’t mind. Further, it’s a 5 minute walk to ‘down town’ and its 60% cheaper than the Best Western at the very southern end of town (so 10~15 mins away from 'downtown'), apparently - based on Tripadvisor reviews - the best place to stay in Lone Pine, though how that came to be I have no idea.

The room? Dated. Not going to sugar coat that. 1970s, with a few appliances from the 1990s (I haven’t seen a microwave with a dial since 1993) though it did have a flat screen TV with 40 channels (several in Spanish). Linen was clean, tiger print that hasn't been seen in shops since 1979, the room was well made up and the fridge (with handy small freezer) was empty. Wifi is provided free of charge tho speeds weren’t great. Parking is, literally, in front of your room. Pool is (not) tactfully placed next to the highway, albeit with a high fence. Tip? Shell service station next door. Bottom line? As it says on the ticket. I left impressed relative to an outstanding price point.

The good?
1) Location: double edged sword as we’ll see. Close to Mt Whitney and its environs. Also the biggest town close to that National Park. Independence, 15 minutes up the road, is home to jail and Emergency Response (Fire, Police) center. Very little else is there.
2) Free wifi in a cheap motel raised left a positive impression.
3) Service: Subjective, and I note one reviewer had a bad experience, this reviewer’s experience was positive. Nothing outstanding – let me be clear – but functional and helpful.
4) Highway noise did not cause this reviewer any issues. To be fair though, I had the air conditioning so providing white noise.
5) Quite a few food options 5 minutes walk down the road. A decent supermarket there too. There is a gas station (two actually) around the corner.

Needs improvement?
1) Location. This reviewer used Lone Pine as a base to explore Death Valley. It’s a 75~90 minute one way drive into Stovepipe. And back. Up and down two 5,000 foot mountain ranges. It’s not the motel’s fault, but mine – and I’ll admit that, but for Death Valley, Beatty is closer (tho with precious little in it). Lone Pine has quite a bit to offer, which is why I chose it and put up with the 3 hour round trip. I didn’t want to spend (too) much on hotels, thus the two hotels in Death Valley (Stovepipe and Furnace Creek) were non starters; this was the lesser of two evils. I don’t regret my choice, but – as a tip – be aware of it.

Conclusion? Again, be aware of what you are getting: a solid, cheap, old school drive in motel very close to Mt Whitney, not very close to Death Valley in a town with quite a bit to offer. If I was hiking Mt Whitney or heading up to Mammoth, I’d consider it strongly. The town is small, but given the area it is in, it is the best around for 50 miles. And I looked. Well worth considering.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
San Dimas, Ca
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2012

We travel a lot and this motel compares favorably with other small, family-owned motels across the country. I found this motel to be a great place to stop on our trip to the eastern Sierra Nevada area. My reservation was handled by one of the owners and was accurate and professional. The rate was lower than many comparable motels in town. The motel was neat, clean and quiet, the room clean and comfortable. On this warm summer day the sparkling pool was refreshing! We stayed in one of the original single-story rooms near the pool. They also offer rooms in a two-story building behind the main buildings. I will stay here again and would recommend the Mt. Whitney motel to others.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Bovingdon,UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 15, 2012

No problems at this budget motel....you get what you pay for...

Room Tip: the owner was prepared to do a deal even though we turned up without a room .
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
Midlands
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

Stayed overnight. Nice little motel at a good price. Room was on the small side but importantly was clean & had all the bits you'd expect & in working order.
Lone Pine is a nice little town to stay over in, pleanty of places to eat & a couple of good bars.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple
Vienna, Austria
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 22, 2012

impressed.
the best one for budget we had on our tour.
the pool is a little bit cold,
but fast internet, nice rooms, clean, good aircondition... late checkin (we checked in 11:30 pm)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Pasadena, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 18, 2012

We were impressed with the size of the rooms and the clean, well-kept establishment. Polite staff, and ample parking too! The price was the best in town, and we were only a couple blocks from our favorite restoraunt in town (Seasons)! We will be sure to come back here again when we want to visit Death Valley or climb Mt Whitney!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
Laguna Niguel, California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed December 23, 2011

The organizer of my Mt Whitney climb booked a room at Mt Whitney Motel in August 2011, so did I. The room was pretty comfortable and I had a good night sleep before my adventure. Unfortunately I overslept a bit, and as a result - I have forgotten a couple of things in the morning in a hurry, such as my little cooler, my set of hiking pols, and a few pieces of clothes. I thought it will be not a problem to claim my forgotten things when I come back from my climb, but it turned out to be impossible! When I tried to talk to a front desk on my return - I was treated very rude: I was told all "forgotten things" are usually locked in a special room and they currently do not have a key to that room. I asked if I can leave my phone and address and if I can come back next week when I will be backpacking in the area and have an opportunity to stop by.... Well, a week later when I returned to hotel - they said they do not have any of my things, not any at all. They did not even apologize. I was very, very disappointed, and definetely will never stay in the motel again. Please be aware of a bad indifferent customer service!

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo

Been to Mt. Whitney Motel? Share your experiences!