“Good Overnighter For Big Sur Drive” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Save on Hotel Packages!
Ranked #2 of 10 hotels in Lompoc
Lincolnshire
“Good Overnighter For Big Sur Drive”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 7, 2009

Booked this hotel for an overnight stay following a day driving down the coast from Monterey. Ended booking here due to the unavailability of other hotels in this area, and also due to the high cost of hotels in Santa Barbara.

The drive from Monterey down the coast is fantastic and it was nice to know we could complete this drive with no worries of finding a hotel later (i.e. taking in all the scenery without rushing).

The location of the hotel is about right in terms of a driving day (we included the 17 mile drive prior to leaving Monterey).

Hotel easily found. It had an outdoor pool although we didn't use it others were. Check in no problem and staff very helpful. Room was fine, large with two queen beds.

The only problem we had was associated with the clock radio. The cable had split through the insulation and was effectively live. When moved it tripped the fuse. This could be considered quite dangerous especially if children were about (although the live part of the cable was behind the bed). Hotel staff were genuinely shocked (no pun intended) when I mentioned this and said they would sort this out (hope they did).

Hotel recommended a restaurant down the road, Italian (canot remember the name) and it was very good.

Hotel had a buffet breakfast available. It was ok but nothing special.

If I was in this area again I would definately use it again.

• Stayed May 2009, traveled with friends

80 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
Berkhamsted, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 17, 2009

"Why Lompoc" our friends asked, followed rapidly by "where is it"? With our apologies to Lompoc and the local Chamber of Commerce which makes great efforts to promote the area there really is very little to attract holiday makers to the town. However it is very conveniently located if you're traveling up the coast from LA, and the local Holiday Inn Express does everything you expect of the chain; and then a little more.

The rooms were clean and the beds good. The receptionists were welcoming and helpful (particularly when asked to tackle an alarm that went off during the night in a neighbouring room), although I'm still getting over the shock of having to explain that San Francisco was to the north. The free fruit and cookies on arrival were very welcome, the outside swimming pool kept the children occupied for far longer than I would have thought possible and what the locality lacked in tourist attractions it more than made up for with far more useful shops.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Encino, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 23, 2009

I join the other reviewers--this is a delightful place to stay. Very neat and clean facility,accomodating staff. Very nice breakfasts and the rooms are more than adequate. Not fancy or opulent, but very basic style and very comfortable beds. You can relax and feel rested staying here. Good for almost anyone or any family. I would say a bargain if you take kids with you.

• Stayed April 2009, traveled with family
Salt Lake City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

I've stayed at this Holiday Inn Express a couple of times and it has never disappointed. It has been recently remodelled. The rooms are large, clean, beds comfy, frig, microwave, desk, wireless internet, and the breakfast is pretty good. If you are a business traveller you can probably save some money by staying at the Quality Inn next door. However, it's not nearly as nice or as clean. I'd rather enjoy my stay rather than trying to squeeze every dollar out of my per diem. Anyway, great hotel if you are staying in Lompoc. You won't be disappointed and if you are they will fix it for you.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled on business
Walnut Creek, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 31, 2009

I have relatives in Lompoc and so have visited the town every year since I was a baby. Of the several motels/hotels I've stayed in, this was by far the best--possibly the only one in town that has joined the 21st century. The exterior is a bit deceiving as it's sorely lacking in landscaping, but once inside any doubts I might have had evaporated. The place was impeccably clean and modern. The front desk clerk, Agnes, was warm and welcoming. When I expressed concern about the fact that the motel was right on H street--one of two main streets in town--she assured me that Lompoc "closes up at 10 o'clock." Very true. We didn't hear a peep from our room. The room itself was spacious and clean. It even had a small microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom could have been a bit bigger, but it sufficed. I'm not sure if the bed was comfortable or I was just exhausted, but I slept fine. Don't expect great views from the rooms--this is Lompoc, after all. Oh, I also felt very safe here, as the rooms all face an interior hallway and a room key is required to enter the buildings.

We appreciated that free breakfast was included, even if it wasn't the most exciting food--cinnamon rolls, bagels, yogurt, cereal, and scrambled eggs that were tasty but had a suspicious texture, as if they'd been poured from a carton. The food met our needs, though, and the staff was helpful and busy making sure the small dining room stayed clean.

This is definitely where I'll stay on my next trip to Lompoc.

• Liked — Modern, clean, and safe.
  • Disliked — Nothing.
  • Stayed January 2009, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 3 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
Ventura
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 18, 2008

I had to go to Lompoc for work, which was bad news for me, since I've never heard of the place, but I thought I'd get my Points and staying with a Holiday Inn.

They have this empty lot in front, but once you walk in, you know they've just renovated or something.

The breakfast in the morning is brand new and included with the rate the little kid in me loved the cinnamon rolls.

The beds were so comfortable, I really thought about missing the appointment the next morning and sleeping in.

Agnes at the Front Desk was amazing and even set aside a few cookies for me when I got back. She rocks!

I won the account and end up having to go back once a month, so I'm looking forward to those beds again.

• Liked — Rooms are brand new and the service is better than the 4 star hotels I usually stay at.
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled on business
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 5 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
NM
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 21, 2008

This hotel is just as nice as all the other Holiday Inn Express hotels I've stayed. The room is clean and the service wonderful. I'd stay here again.

Stayed July 2008

Been to Holiday Inn Express Lompoc? Share your experiences!