“Average hotel,” 3 of 5 stars

GreenLeadersBronze level
Norwich, United Kingdom
“Average hotel,”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012 via mobile

Stayed here for one night on trip of PCH, the hotel was very central, but seems a little bit run down. The walls were very thin and the surrounding area did not seem too safe. Breakfast was manic the next morning and hard to find a table.

Stayed October 2012

373 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (53)
Hemet, California, United States
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

staff was pretty friendly, but when asked to check in early would not let us and we missed getting ready for an important dinner party! I think that all the rooms were sold out in Lompoc? Ok maybe NY, but ok what ever. and asked for no smoking and still smelled real bad. room was a little dirty but on the most part not to bad. Toilet set is cheap, I weigh 107 and if I was on the bigger side wow! any way not bad for the price and the breakfast is good.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Customer service is good. The property is well kept, and the free breakfast is very good. Eggs and pancakes made to order along with oatmeal, yogurt, cold cereal, fresh fruit and pastries as well. The managers reception is better than average but the snacks provided are lacking. I did like that it was beer, wine, and liquor. The room is smaller than other locations but still a good layout. I did notice that my room was slightly run down and the furniture was worn out a bit also. The curtains in my room were also dusty and the room needed a good deep cleaning. Mostly in the corners of the room and in little spaces between furniture. However, the toilet, sinks, shower, micorwave, fridge, and furniture were all cleaned well. It just seemes like attention to the little things by the cleaners are neglected. I had dirty finger prints on my bathroom door and shower head. The location is walking distance to stores and restaurants and on a main street of the city. I will be back but I will ask for a new room if it is the shape of my last stay. I do expect more for the price.

Room Tip: the back part of the property has a garden area that is very nice. The walls are also very thin.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Burbank, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 21, 2012

My wife and I just got back from a weekend wine-tasting trip in the Santa Ynez Valley. We wanted to stay in Solvang, but literally every hotel room was booked. With some trepidation I opted for this Embassy Suites in Lompoc, about 20 miles away from Solvang. It turned out to be a great decision.

First of all, I get the impression that some of the negative reviews are expecting this Embassy Suites to be the same as a property in a major city. That's simply not going to happen in Lompoc. You've got to understand that the two major employers in Lompoc are the Vandenberg Air Force base and a federal prison. It's pretty far out in the middle of nowhere relative to most other towns in the area.

So given the Lompoc setting, this hotel is absolutely great. The price was half of what Solvang or the Santa Ynez Marriott would have been. Totally worth it. The hotel and room decor is dated, but that's unsurprising. The rooms are true "suites" and a good size. An LCD TV in each room with a good selection of channels. Nice shower with steady hot water. The sofa had a pull-out bed but we didn't need to use that. In-room coffee makers, a fridge, microwave, etc. Everything you expect from an Embassy Suites, just never completely renovated (nor can I blame them; I can't imagine it would be make financial sense).

But the best part is the pool clubhouse / dining room in the middle of the property. Every night they have a happy hour with free drinks! Firestone Double Barrel Ale on tap, all you can drink! Plus a bartender mixing up any other drink you want. What a deal! Let's just say that after happy hour, my wife and I had to change plans and find a hotel within walking distance... the car was no longer an option.

I really liked that the happy hour was even offered on Saturday night. Typically this amenity is only for business travelers and thus weekday nights.

In that same clubhouse they have free breakfast in the morning, with a fruit/bread buffet and an open kitchen with made-to-order meat, omelettes, and pancakes. We got up late and thus there was quite a line to wait for your hot breakfast, so we didn't bother. One thing I wish they would do is offer both made-to-order and set out some hot food in the buffet area of commons items such as bacon or scrambled eggs.

Pool was also nice, and it had a very big in-ground hot tub that could seat probably around 10 people. Lastly, there's a "tropical garden" section in the rest of the middle common area that's offers nothing special except a nice little ambience with coy ponds and such.

Employees were extremely friendly. I do wish there was more stuff in walking distance, but we could have driven somewhere if not for over-imbibing in the happy hour. However we still were able to find options within a couple blocks walk -- wound up at a Mexican place that was just okay, but suited us well enough.

Lastly, we were pleasantly surprised at all the wineries on the road into Lompoc off highway 101. It's a nice spot that doesn't seem to be as crowded/popular as Solvang, Los Olivios, Santa Ynez, etc. I highly recommend Babcock.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
US
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 7, 2012

I personally think the Embassy Suites as lost its spark. This one is very dated (with weird faux french provincial furniture in the bedroom). The bed was ok, although the blankets were too heavy and too polyester for me to be comfortable. Note: If you don't like to listen to children shouting and having fun in a pool, ask to be put in a room that faces the "tropical garden" - much quieter. The walls are ultra thin and conversations and laughter can be heard easily. We stayed here because it was free with our HH points - otherwise, I would have checked out the minute I saw the room. Embassy Suites used to be a nice business hotel, but now it's not nice for anything. Oh, the wireless is free, but so slow that I finally just gave up. The young woman who checked us in (she was alone and said that the hotel was fully booked) was very annoyed when we asked for a room on the top floor. Then she pulled the "no more rooms available" card. hmmm. The manager's reception (happy hour) snacks consisted of something like rice chex, tortilla chips and some sort of melted cheesy gloppy stuff to pour over the chips. Sort of like bad movie nachos.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Southern, CA.
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2012

I have stayed in several Embassy Suites and most are good, but this location was decorated better had a better social hour and was quiet and well maintained. I stayed at this location as a mistake I thought it was farther up the coast of CA. It turned out to be in a town of a large air force base Vandenberg. The town is not large but the hotel's staff could not have been better. We were told of a place to have dinner called Sissy's Sassy cafe, what a find that was. Every thing you want is at this Embassy and I am glad we landed in Lompoc.

Room Tip: We were in room 202
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Oxford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 16, 2012

This place is well above the normal Embassy standard, and is just a really comfortable place to stay.

Finding somewhere localto eat was a problem though.

The service at the was good, and the breakfast was excellent

Parking and internet were good

Room Tip: Rooms on the front are quieter than to be expected on a main road
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Been to Embassy Suites Lompoc - Central Coast? Share your experiences!