“Great food, makes up for service!” 4 of 5 stars

Menu
Improve this listing
Ranked #10 of 99 restaurants in Lompoc
Cuisines: Asian
“Great food, makes up for service!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 7, 2013

Let me start by saying that ths service here is just fine for me. I used to be a waitress so I'm very understanding of their work load. most days that we go for lunch, there it's only one server, but there are only about 12 tables.Sometimes there is a wait for the drinks, but the food always comes out promptly and correctly. Ths food is absolutely delicious. I've had the shrimp stir fry, the coconut sour shrimp soup, the garlic shrimp appetizer, and soup that had lemon grass (can't remember what its called), and all of it was very tasty. I consider this restaurant a step up from a hole in the wall, so it seems a bit pricey to me, but the servings are huge and I always have left overs. This is definitely one of my favorite spots in Lompoc.

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere

82% Recommend
Los Angeles, California
“Laotian Family Cooking”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 23, 2013

Suvan's Kitchen is one of those places that are a true delight to find, a place with superb cooking and fine service. It is not pretentious in the least. The place is clean, located in a storefront in a small strip mall in Lompoc. It's comfortable but not fancy, with linoleum floors and Formica table tops, but you can tell instantly from the smells that you've found a culinary treat.

The menu is extensive, featuring Laotian, Thai, Chinese, and Vietnamese dishes, so there's plenty of variety. I have eaten there several times and have never encountered anything that was not delicious. The food is fresh, well-prepared, and obviously very healthy. All the soups I've tried are fantastic! I tend to order too much for one sitting, but the waitress is ready to package leftovers for us . . . and they are almost as tasty reheated the next day.

Highly recommended.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Los Angeles, California
“Nice little gem of a restaurant...”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 21, 2013

We weren't expecting a whole lot from Lompoc in terms of cuisine (guess we're a little spoiled), but we were pleasantly surprised when we stumbled upon this place. It was labeled Thai & Lao, and the Lao part "hooked" us. The Vegetarian Sour Coconut soup was an awesome appetizer, followed by scrumptious Spring Rolls, Vegetable Fried Rice and Yellow Curry Chicken. Nothing disappointed, including the service and the cost was more than reasonable. Everything was clean enough and the overall atmosphere was pleasant. When we return to this area, we will definitely return.

• Visited January 2013
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
CA
“Decent food, inconsistent service”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 28, 2012

I've eaten at Suvan's several times, and while the food is good, it is not outstanding. It's not even the best Thai in Lompoc--we actually ended up trying this place for the first time since our usual Thai place, Thai Cuisine, was closed for almost a month while the owner was on vacation. The curries are good and the menu has lots of options--including some Lao, Chinese, and Vietnamese dishes--but the quality is inconsistent. The last time I ordered pineapple curry with tofu, there were exactly 4 very small pieces of tofu in the dish. I've ordered tofu and meat dishes before and had never encountered this problem before. They include rice with the curry and Chinese dishes (versus many other places in town, where you have to order and pay for rice separately), so that is a plus, but I always find the scoop of rice too small, especially considering how much curry you get in an order.

Service is inconsistent, too. We've had appetizers come out with the food, we've waited ages for the check (so long that my husband went up to the register to pay since we were going to be late for some plans we'd made after dinner), and I've seen diners at other tables get up and go behind the counter for a take-out box since they'd been waiting so long. The wait staff is mildly friendly but not really accommodating, and they even overlook basic things, like the fact that tables don't always have utensils. The wait staff is not unpleasant, just kind of oblivious.

The restaurant itself is not much to look at--certainly not the kind of place to go for a romantic dinner. It's in a strip mall, the tables are fairly close together, there's bright fluorescent lighting, and last time I was there, it was quite cold. They make an attempt to block out the headlights from the cars in the parking lot, but this is only partially successful.

I'd say that this is a decent place to go if you are not in a hurry or are just patient with slow service. It seems that the best option is for take-out since this is the best way to get good food without dealing with the service and atmosphere issues.

• Visited December 2012
    • 2 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
“Unethical and Deceptive Pricing. Charged more than printed menu price.”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

Was disappointed to be charged 2 dollars higher on soup than the menu specified. This issue could have been easily fixed by the waitress, so I pointed out the menu and receipt discrepancy. Unfortunately, the waitress would not revise the receipt. She insisted that the price she charged was the "right price" and that the menu she distributed in the restaurant was wrong. If the one item I ordered presented with this issue, how many other items does this restaurant overcharge for?

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Been to Suvan's Kitchen? Share your experiences!

If you own or manage Suvan's Kitchen, register now for free tools to enhance your listing, attract new reviews, and respond to reviewers.